Interesting article for anyone skeptical of AA

I went to AA and I didn’t like it to be honest. I am 21 days sober and I have done this through the support of my friends and family. I found many of the points true in this article:

8 Likes

I went to AA aswell and did like it and im a long time sober

6 Likes

Awesome. I just found the members very closed minded believing it’s the only way to get sober which isn’t true. And the whole I am helpless and only a higher power can help me just isn’t true for everyone. But to each their own glad you found it helpful.

3 Likes

No i Agree there are many ways to get sober today when i came to AA it was the only place i could go then that was way back , and i to in Scotland have come across meeting that have their own rules that i dont agree with

4 Likes

Yeah the whole my name is …and I’m an alcoholic every time you are about to talk is to me just absurd. People that were 30 years sober still saying that to me is a bit overboard. Once I can sober for an extended period of time I wouldn’t keep telling myself I’m an alcoholic over and over.

3 Likes

He’s just offering an alternative view… We’re all different

1 Like

I was the same… Thanks for the article I’ll have a proper read later… I’m with a group called life ring now. No religion involved… It’s lovely

1 Like

Yeah religion is not needed to get sober. God can’t help you. You have to help yourself in this world.

2 Likes

There’s also a few other things I didn’t like or agree with… And yes recovery is in my hands, but I do admit that we need support outside our families… I was sober for a year by myself because I wouldn’t go back to AA my family where amazing and so supportive but also amazingly supportive when I decided to drink again after that year… Two and a half years later and it was worse this time around and I’m back at square one. I’m not saying this will happen with your family sweetheart I’m just telling you my story :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I agree. I have a great support group of friends and family all very positive people. When I went to a open group in a church I just saw a lot of people that were into drugs and alcohol for more than 20 plus years. I’ve only had a drinking issue for 2 years. I don’t like how everyone that has issues with drinking are all labelled as alcoholics. When that is not true at all.

I know sweetheart, there’s a whole spectrum… Have you Googled alternatives in your area.

Iv actually read this article!

1 Like

How did you like it? Anything that stood out?

1 Like

Yea thats true we are all different and as i said if i was getting sober now i might choice a different way to keep sober but in 86 there wasnt any ,

5 Likes

What stuck out is the feeling like a failure when you didn’t take to AA, that there was only one way and I was irrevocably broken because I didn’t like it and couldnt or wouldn’t make it work… It felt good reading this and knowing others felt the same

2 Likes

And that’s fair enough but you seem to jump on ppl when they put up an alternative to it… Like not in a supportive way, ye know? I’m really glad it works for you I’m glad for anyone it works for but not everyone feels the same and we should be allowed talk about that here too

2 Likes

i have never did this i support everyone here who is trying to get sober even you, yea you can talk about it i talk and practice it have done for the last 31 + years sober you have agood day

5 Likes

Well said buddy

What I meant is I put up something about life ring and he commented and then this post. I wasn’t knocking AA in the slightest but looking for feedback about different avenues. Maybe jump was the wrong term but he was the first comment on both posts

ill not go first ill wait for others first