Interesting article for anyone skeptical of AA

You can look on most people’s posts who are new and are asking for advice, most people say the only thing that saved them was AA and if there’s any hint of hesitancy, they will say they just have to attend multiple meetings in their area where they find one. And I must say, there have been a couple times so far where I haven’t seen the person post again. I stopped reading those posts though because according to everyone AA is the only saving grace :wink: (obviously I’m being sarcastic, but that is the vibe I get from this forum a lot of the time)

2 Likes

Just like it ain’t a rap song without Nate Dogg on the hook, it ain’t recovery without @anon53189373 on the thread

1 Like

So b/c certain members of AA are misguided, AA itself is the culprit?

2 Likes

“The family afterwards” is the chapter that has many instances of seeking outside mental health help

3 Likes

I was reading through that now… LOL

1 Like

Thank you, I will find that chapter and re-read it!

1 Like

Oh, so now they’re misguided? :roll_eyes:

So I’m not going to lie. I actually really like the NA literature.

I hated AA the first time I tried it bc I ended up at a meeting that wasn’t a good fit for me. Thank God this time around I tried a bunch of meetings. I also stuck with my outside help with the encouragement from people in AA. This might ruffle some feathers but I am convinced that the fellowship is just as important as the steps. Anywhere I go I can walk into a meeting and have friends. I am never alone.

1 Like

Hi all, please don’t let this turn in to the usual debate or this will end up having to be closed.

1 Like

I never said that those AA members who urged others to stop their medications are correct, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

No, that was included in the link you posted. I never said that’s what you specifically stated.

Okay, I read the whole chapter, to find they have two sentences stating if you think you have health problems you can take them to a doctor or psychologist haha which I’m definitely glad they included something, but that’s a pretty minimal attempt on their part, when like I stated earlier, many people who have substance use issues typically have some type of mental health issue.

1 Like

Preach.

Any program will work if you actually apply it to life.

Here is the passage - which IMO seems pretty encouraging.

But this does not mean that we disregard human health measures. God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Most of them give freely of themselves, that their fellows may enjoy sound minds and bodies. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward.

1 Like

Yes, I did read the chapter which had that passage, thank you.

Preach @anon53189373

Less said is easy mended, nothing said needs no mending.

You just got a Bible verse for everything lol.

Are you coming to Cuse for the fair at all

Next year you should come sell your goods at the fair.

Plus Ludacris is playing a free concert tonight

1 Like