Interesting article for anyone skeptical of AA

Just so everyone is clear. I didn’t flag any posts. Also @anon53189373, gym selfies aren’t a recovery program :joy:

I am, the man!

Actually, I just got back from the Ludacris concert. Now that was some recovery.

3 Likes

I am interested in all recovery programs. I’m excited to try refuge recovery here soon. We also have a mindfulness in recovery meeting that I will check out.

1 Like

haha it is definitely not “my” program nor am I an expert in it! I’m just doing the exercises and I’m on a path of self-exploration mixed with self-care, all while being sober! The three main S’s :wink:

2 Likes

OH, I will also mention that I’m starting to sign up for volunteer opportunities to take up some of the free time I have, so that’s been absolutely rejuvenating for me.

2 Likes

haha I didn’t take it like that, I was more so asserting that I’m not an expert for the program, nor do I want that to be the takeaway for anyone who has been following the thread!

Wow. Y’all been busy.

I agree with @Gabe.G and glad to hear you will continue to share your insights.

My own road to sobriety has been a patchwork I’m now compiling into a program, “Lessons from the Goat Herd: How to Live Sober.” :goat:

4 Likes

Can I have a first edition, signed copy?

1 Like

As a coauthor you’ll be due royalties, technically. :shushing_face:

1 Like

Oh, excellent! I’ll keep it on the DL!

@DowntroddenGoat nods in approval

1 Like

So I have shared my very recent AA experience yesterday and today I am feeling a new peace. I went to a meeting again this morning and I am certain not working my steps properly led me to a dry drunk state. My mind was becoming so poisoned with anger, resentments and fear.

I have learned that communication is key as well as a whole lot more, and I have much clearer direction in my head knowing that whatever happens will be Gods plan, not mine but he will be with me.

I spoke to a good friend who is an Anglican priest this morning and he reminded me of how fortunate and blessed I am as well as telling me I am a wholesome person. I made a confession of something that has been eating away at me for weeks and let my baggage go and he reminded me again that God loves and forgives me.

If you don’t believe in AA or any other spiritual or non spiritual program for that matter then so be it, but please do not discourage those who need it as it might be the very thing that keeps someone who is not you, sane and sober and potentially save their life. It is important we remember it is not all about us and the world does not revolve around us.

Peace be with you all.

6 Likes

You seem a lot more centered since that meeting yesterday

I am feeling a lot more balanced and centred after 2 meetings and several phone calls with people I trust. The way my brain was I may as well have been drunk.

There was a newcomer at the meeting this morning and he just looked completely beaten, I will not let this beat me.

Thank you for your support Derek. Incase you hadn’t heard it today, I love you and you’re awesome, where is @Twowaymirror anyway? I hope he’s thriving.

4 Likes

He’s been posting on Strava so he’s alive. I think I’ll text him today

2 Likes

I’m so glad you are feeling better and more at peace. You have been such an inspiration to me since I came to TS. It’s such a good reminder that sobriety is about far more than not drinking and using. Thank you for sharing all parts of your experience.

3 Likes

Glad your ok back on track , hopefully the Well will do us a favour tomoro lol

1 Like

Here’s hoping. Thanks for messaging me last night.

My two lame cents: as a person who has been involved with the scientific community for many years, I have concluded one thing about the mindset of most scientists - everything has to be science. It is taboo to discuss spirituality, religion, anything that cannot be scientifically researched using the exact steps of the scientific method. This article clings to the notion of AA not being scientific, and its claims and program to have no statistical proof of being successful. What bothers me is that the science community won’t accept that there are things such as community and spiritual health that cannot be defined or quantified by science. There is no way to factor out all the confounding variables, and the data collected is so messy and missing so much information that it is nearly impossible to apply stats that are meaningful. There isn’t really a way to quantify human spirituality, because it is not within the scientific realm. Scientists, therefore, tend to poopoo anything that doesn’t reside in that realm and call it bunk, bullshit, pseudoscience, etc.

As a scientist myself, I am aware that there are physical properties and processes that can be studied. It’s great that we can study the brain and body and its response to alcohol. It’s great we can combine chemicals to make medications that effect these physical systems. But nothing in science can touch spirituality and the sense of belonging, trust, community, and love that humans experience. It is 100% subjective, therefore no science can prove or disprove any of it, since science is purely objective. Science needs to keep doing what it can do, and spiritual groups need to keep doing what they can do. There is no reason for either group to shit on the other because Both are necessary. AA is spiritual, but people who don’t ascribe to spirituality or religion can find love, community, belonging, and trust wherever they want or can. There really should be no argument, merely a combination of forces and acceptance of one another as having the same goal, with different approaches.

6 Likes