Is anyone getting more fake drunk dreams during quarantine!?

Woah barely a night goes by when I don’t have a dream where I’ve horribly messed up in a drunken way, waking up feeling like I’ve woken from a black out, even though I’m almost three months sober. Has anyone else been finding the same?

6 Likes

I had them regularly for about the first six months. I would wake up so scared at night. I’m coming up on 16 months and I rarely have them anymore, but they still pop up here and there.

1 Like

That’s interesting and makes a lot of sense! It’s amazing what our dreams can reveal when we supress certain emotions, even when we don’t realise we have those feelings

1 Like

This is more true than many would even care to admit. Lol. Dreams can suck! But they are important to pay attention to and acknowledge. Whether it’s a “PTS” dream or a drinking dream. I’ve noticed through different groups it’s good to speak it out and recognize the “dream” and for what it was… just a dream. We can be grateful it was just a dream, be self aware through the day and move forward! :pray:t3:

2 Likes

I totally agree about being grateful it is just a dream - the relief when I realise that’s all it is is immense! I’m starting to see them as a reminder of what could happen if I started to drink again, almost like a helpful hand and a blessing in disguise.

1 Like

No I was getting real drunk while awake but that’s over now :joy:

3 Likes

Yes! I have. It’s been messing with me. Thank you for posting, I thought it was just me.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more! It’s almost reassuring in a way. The anxiety I feel when I think to myself, “Wait, did I get drunk last night…” and then I remember! Oh thank God! Lol! Grateful for the “reminders”. :rofl::pray:t3:

1 Like

Omg yes! And I feel sad thinking I have to reset my timer, then realise it’s all a dream and it’s a great feeling (after I’ve finished panting from the anxiety haha!)

1 Like

Hahaha. Omg! ME TOO! Lol. Start all over again, tell people I “F-Ed” up, the guilt/shame, etc… too funny (kind of) :rofl:

1 Like

Are you affected by the quarantine? Are you able to work? Is it making your dreams worse/more often?

1 Like

I am coming up on thee months, I sometime have drinking dreams, more like nightmares. They usually involve, someone pressuring me to drink, most often s family member. I awaken feeling a sense of guilt and anger. Immediately, I’ll reach for my phone and check my sober days.

The one thing that I find surprising, these dreams don’t trigger a craving response. Not once have I desired, a little hair from the dog that bit me. I’ll take a phantom hangover, any day, over a real one!

1 Like

I’ve had the horrible dreams where I think I’ve gone off the rails and gotten drunk! Such a relief to wake up and realise I’m still sober. Not sure they’ll ever pass. I’m almost at the half year mark.

2 Likes

the other morning I had a dream I drank and spent all my money on getting booze. I woke up with a phantom hangover and I swear I could almost taste it.

Took me a few minutes to realise it was just a dream, even checked my bin and my bank account to make sure lol :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ve been lucky in that I can work from home during quarantine and also don’t have children to teach whilst working, so I’ve definitely had it easier than a lot of people! I keep seeing articles about how lots of people are having weird dreams during lockdown - we’re not alone! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/apr/23/coronavirus-dreams-what-could-they-mean

2 Likes

How about you? Have you been affected by the lockdown?

I like that description ‘phantom hangover’ - it completely sums it up! It’s crazy as none of my other dreams have ever been so realistic! That’s so good your dreams aren’t triggering cravings, I feel the same too. For me, they just make me feel guilty and panicky!

it’s awful isn’t it! I wake up with that sinking feeling of “ughhh I did it again! what did I do this time!” lol

1 Like

Hey man! I haven’t been on here for a while and I came back, and thought of you. Hope you’re well!

Funny I literally had one last night! Not with drinking but with getting and using drugs. It’s a weird experience and I’ve had them before. I’m happy to say it was the first time I woke up feeling relieved that I was still sober and that it was all a dream, and that all my progress was not lost.

1 Like