Is "Checking In" the right thing to do?

Winding down day 3 opiate free. I am still sober. I am alive. The day is not over yet. Getting ready to head home to my circus waiting for me. I’m a little anxious thinking about it but I’m LITERALLY taking it minute by minute. I feel a bit silly posting but whatever I need help so it is what it is. I haven’t figured out how to work meetings into my life just yet so that’s the goal for when Monday rolls around. Ok byeee😂 I still dont feel deathly ill. I HAVE sobered up once before and DID but for whatever reason, grace,luck, a new mindset…I’m not as bad off. These things tend to sneak up on you so I’m not naive either.

8 Likes

Good on you! And for staying mindful as the time rolls by.

And yeah, I think checking in daily is great! There’s a thread on here that’s one of my favorites. Lots of people counting and working through their days together, from minute one to years. If ya want, come join in!

2 Likes

I’ve seen a tremendous correlation here with the folks to check in daily, become part of the community and lasting sobriety.

I’ve seen the same in real life with folks who make to meetings a lot. There’s a reason for the slogan “meeting makers make it”

10 Likes

Three days opiate free is great. What were you using? I was a pain pill abuser. Make sure you’re staying hydrated. Also, post here when you’re craving. Getting feelings and thoughts out of your head and sharing them with us allows us to help you. NEVER CRAVE ALONE

1 Like

Dude checking is the perfect thing to do. I probably checked in every few hours and stayed on here if I wasn’t at a meeting or the gym. Don’t care what anyone thinks! This is a fight for your life. I’m a heroin addict, oxy , and meth. Fuck it! Do whatever you gotta do to stay clean! Keep going 3 Days is great and most likely you’ll be feeling alive here soon and be wondering why you ever wanted that shit in your body before.

Checking in helps as a reminder also. Theres checking in here virtually and also physically such as a meeting etc. Most of the time I don’t feel like I NEED to check in, I am coping just fine. But, if I don’t keep up these habits there is potential of becoming complacent, getting comfortable and that is when things can creep up on you.

Checking in daily may not always be necessary in the future but even when I am years sober I will check in, in some form, at least weekly so as not to forget.

1 Like

Congratulations on your days … being opiate free is so hard but so worth it … I’m nearly 6 months clean of crack and heroin… i was on methadone to start with then espranor… i did a taper with my doctor and now free … i understand how u r feeling and it’s great u r checking in as that was a great help to keep me motivated… i do meetings myself and it’s great way to learn about out illness x

2 Likes

Congratulations on your new Life, I’d say checking in is a healthy thing to do :slightly_smiling_face: