Is it ever too late to stop drinking?

Booze has been part of just about everything for the last 45 years of my life. Is there any point in trying? Is it even possible at this age?

16 Likes

My father quit at 65 after many years of hard drinking… Now he’s 80, healthy and as active as ever. It’s never too late! :purple_heart:

19 Likes

Dont know how to reinvent myself now, at 60. Stopped a couple of times before and felt like I lost myself.

7 Likes

I quit at 55. My life is amazing! Sobriety and every day is a gift.

18 Likes

Same here!

4 Likes

On the NOSEY!!
That’s me exactly!!
I drank 45 years! January 2020, 20 days before my 60 birthday. I found this app. It was going to be a big blow out party for my 60th. But because of so many supportive people here I had the best birthday ever. SOBER! I was so proud of myself. I think that 20 days and making it through my 60th birthday was the big turning point for me.

Yes! It’s fucking possible.

And it’s fucking amazing.

And my wife still drinks.
I’m around this forum too much because I’m retired.
Small price to pay for 2.16 years of sobriety.
I’m so grateful.
ODAAT.
:pray:t2::heart:

35 Likes

This never crossed my mind.
What crossed my mind was getting off the merry go round and never ever having a hangover again.
And then drinking again the very next day. Repeat. Isn’t it exhausting?
:pray::heart:

14 Likes

It’s only too late when you’re dead. Choose to live better every day you have left of your life. I’ve been sober almost 5 months now and I’m 59. It IS worth trying and you ARE worth it.

18 Likes

Finish the race strong. I quit when I was 51, was on the verge of divorce (though I didn’t know it) 50 lbs overweight, and missing out on big chunks of my little girl’s childhood. I was an emotional zombie, just existing, counting down the time where the work day ended, so I could drink.

Been sober now for over 4 years. My marriage is great, just celebrating our 23rd anniversary. My relationship with my adult son and teen daughter is strong. I discovered martial arts, earned a black belt, started teaching classes part-time at my school, bought the top of a mountain for weekend getaways and where we’ll soon build our future retirement home…in the town I plan to open my own martial arts school.

I turn 56 next month. I may have wasted 25 years drinking, I feel I’ve made up a lot of lost ground in sobriety. My only regret regarding sobriety is that I didn’t quit drinking sooner, but it wasn’t too late.

I plan to finish my life’s race strong, and you can too. You just have to decide and then get after it!

25 Likes

Reinventing or rediscovering is the BEST part! Getting better at getting better each and every day in large and small ways. Better today than you were yesterday and tomorrow better still!

11 Likes

Your a big inspiration Steve. Congratulations on 4 years and you and your wife’s anniversary

4 Likes

It sure is possible! I drank for more than 40 years and have been sober for the last 5 years…just turned 61. It wasn’t easy or fun or fast to get here… but once sobriety clicked, my life has turned around 100%. It definitely can be done and we definitely can discover and relish life sober. Think of all the things that you have never experienced sober! A lot to look forward to.

Don’t give up on yourself!!

22 Likes

My first serious quit attempt was at age 27. Part of the reason I failed was that I could not imagine reinventing myself as a sober person.

I got desperate at age 45, enough so that simply stopping the daily beating I was putting myself through was enough. I didn’t care what the future held, and I thought it would be bleak, gray, flat. I was wrong on all counts - my life today is better, richer, more exciting and fulfilling than I could imagine.

I was a hopeless alcoholic and I was able to get sober. I believe you can, too. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

17 Likes

Someone on another thread just said what a sad way to live your life… That really made me think, it IS a sad way to live. Often, it’s not even living for some people, its just existing.
It’s never too late to change your life for the better. Go for it!!

8 Likes

I’m going on 4 months sober from alcohol, and am 42 years old. I don’t feel like I’m reinventing myself, but slowly rediscovering my true self. I like this version of myself so much better, hell I’m even starting to love myself again. I know there’a a fear of identity loss when you quit drinking, I felt it too, but the longer you stay sober you will let go of that, at least I did… Best wishes to you!

11 Likes

My grandfather just quit at 85. He drank copious sums his whole life.

14 Likes

I didn’t expect so much support and inspiration from folks who’ve been in my situation. Thank you so very much. Please pray for me if you are so inclined.

15 Likes

I am not one of the ones with wisdom and advice, but I want you to know I am praying for you. A life without alcohol will open new doors, and a much easier, happier life will soon be yours. It is never to late and at 60, you have a whole lot of living to do yet. I wish you well :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

I’m 61 and will be 1 year sober in 3 days. I’ve had long periods of sobriety in my life (longest 18 years) but in recent years off and on very unhealthy binges. This time it is really sticking. More years behind me than in front of me…but I plan on making them great years. It can be done!

11 Likes

You’re not reinventing yourself, you’re returning to who you really are. That person is already you! Is there something you have always wanted to learn about but couldn’t get into or stick with? A library card and YouTube videos are all you need. Start there and take it hour by hour. :heart:

7 Likes