Is so hard!

I have been trying to quit alcohol for almost 1.5 years. I do really well for a month or two, but I can never get passed that 3 rd month. Now I am in another habit of every three months going one or two want hurt because I’m at a “special event”. Meddings, seeing the family once a year, holiday’s, what ever the “excuse” is that month. I have a wonder support system that helps me even when I break and I know I am hurting them. The next day is full of nothing but regrets. Any helpful advise would be appreciated. I am know on day 9 after the last drink once again.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 9 days and a big welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

Welcome?

What have you been trying, besides not just drinking?

I think one of the toughest things about staying sober is being around people that aren’t. Seeing everyone else have a drink while you sip a soda or something. Seeing everyone else laugh and eff around while you’re just watching (at least from my own experience). I recently joined after a few relapses and I think what will help me (and maybe you) is seeing the days add up. I’m going on day 4. Yesterday I went to a birthday party where everyone was drunk and it was so tempting. I briefly thought “It’s only 2 days it won’t really matter”, but it does. I will never be able to save myself if I DONT save myself… if that makes sense. I won’t stop if I DONT stop. I’m not sure if this helps but just know you aren’t alone.

1 Like

Stay away from tempting situations in early sobriety is the best advice I can give you. Your sobriety has to come above everything else or it isn’t gonna last. Eventually you’ll be sturdy enough in your sobriety to be around alcohol again but you’re probably gonna find that you do want to be :slightly_smiling_face:. Here are some links for you if you’re interested. Best wishes

Your #1 tip for sobriety (over 2 years sober)

1 Like

It might benefit you to look into medical interventions to treat your substance use disorder. I would suggest Nalrexone or Disulfiram. You can talk to primary care physician about your goals for sobriety and they can set you up with a prescription and potentially an outpatient stay.