Is there a thread for parents on here?

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Yep ! That about sums it up.

1 Like

All parents count!
Step, adoptive, stay at home, working, single, married…
Were all equal.

4 Likes

100% Agreed !!!

No shit! Hahaha!
It all happened so fast.

2 Likes

On a serious note I love my step daughter dearly but while I was drinking and drugging and being selfish I ruined our relationship bc if you get between me, myself and I then your nothing but an inconvenience. Now I’m sober I’m building better relationships with my own kids and my step daughter, it’s not an over night success but we are definitely all feeling a lot more loved than we used to. Addiction will keep you to itself.

6 Likes

I started one years ago - Stay at Home Parents in Recovery - Life in Recovery - Talking Sober - Addiction Recovery Forum & Support Group

I am no longer a stay at home Dad, the dream is over, :frowning:

you certainly could start a “Parent in Recovery” themed one, not necessarily one specific as mine was. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Dolse71

I hear you. It does take time. It’s hard. It would have been hard even without addictions but addictions make it even harder I have found as now they have even more of an excuse to be unkind (putting it mildly).

2 Likes

Ugh, I can imagine.
Mom guilt is really hard regardless.
I just want to tame this beast before my kids are older.
I’ve got about 51/2 years of sober time (not consecutively) all together since I started having kids, which I’m proud of! There have been random moments here and there though… all in good time… all in good time…

1 Like

That is Totally Awesome @Dancingwheel !!!

I did it backwards. I didn’t start drinking until she hit teenage years. Not a smart plan ! They remember more.

I started at 15… I’m 31 now.
I fear my kids starting that at 15… that’s so young…

1 Like

My guess is you’ll be able to steer them when that time comes.

1 Like

Oh please tell me you got pictures?

mom of 2 teen boys 17 and 14:-)

I am legit scared to have 4 teenagers running around.
Haha! Soaking up this super crazy but super lovey time while it lasts.

2 Likes

Right. I am working towards finding my inner truth so I can be of some assistance when they are in search if their own.
Always keeping myself open and honest about any life questions they may have… even as children, in the age of questions.

1 Like

Here’s one.
My almost 3 year old is a tornado from the second he wakes up until he goes to sleep. Destroying everything in his path.

But yesterday morning he blew my mind. I was drinking my morning coffee at 5am and guess who comes walking into the living room?? He says “hi Dada” and comes and lays on my chest… now, this kid don’t cuddle… ever. So I took the opportunity for some cuddles

We both woke up 2 hours later!! It was very much worth being late to work for

11 Likes

Mom son actually turns 17 next week and today he drove to school by himself for the 1st time. I actually LOVE teenage boys, sooo much easier then say ages 7 to 14:-)

There is nothing more comforting than holding a sleeping kid!
All the natural oxytocin.
I still remember the feeling of being held my mom and dad as a kid.

I only have one boy…
3 girls.
My boy is the easiest. He is so understanding and so helpful!
My 2 year old is a literal devil. Haha!

I hear ya. I wouldn’t drink until after all the kids were in bed…but then they’d wake up and see the empty wine bottle. I know this is for them. It’d be nice to have a place to talk about parental stuff.

2 Likes