Is this a normal week one?

I’m curious what kind of withdrawals any of you experienced in recovery? I would say I’m a regular weekend binge drinker. I’ve decided enough is enough. So, I had a three day weekend and I spent most of it feeling quite ill. Terrible headache, exhausted and somewhat dehydrated. I felt sick and clammy at one point. I’m wondering if that’s withdrawal symptoms or what. Anyway, I’m pretty happy about my week one.

4 Likes

Yes those all are… it will progressively get better. Hang in there!! And congrats on 1 week!! :muscle:t3:

1 Like

Thanks girl. Any advice on reading material? Of been listening to a few podcasts. I’m so determined to do this. I’ve had lots of day five and six. :cry:

2 Likes

The naked mind by Annie Grace is awesome. I would recommend that if you haven’t yet. There’s tons of resources on here also… If you use the magnify glass you can search all kinds of topics. Proud of you! Stay strong :muscle:t3:

2 Likes

Also drinks lots of water and exercise it really helps. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, I’ll look into that book.

1 Like

For me I get shaky and a headache and insomnia the night following the binging. Also horrible anxiety the morning after. I dont sleep great again until a few nights after my last night of heavy drinking.

There’s a lot of good reads and podcasts here:
Resources for our recovery

Good luck! :innocent:

1 Like

I was pretty much a nightly drinker, and my last drinking day was quite a bender. My withdrawals felt like a two-day hangover.

Drink water, take B vitamins and eat a bland diet for a few days. Soon you’ll feel better, and if you stay sober, this is the last time you ever have to go through this.

1 Like

Im used to the two day hangover. Sadly. It was the next weekend that I felt all these symptoms. Which I’m kind of thankful for because it kept me from drinking.

Good to know about the sleep. I’ve been having crazy vivid dreams. I just don’t want to do this to myself anymore.

3 Likes

I had the DTs and drove myself to the emergency room.
I didn’t realize it was the DTs. I had been in a state of panic and anxiety for over a month. I have been an alcoholic for over 10 years. I never put 2 and 2 together. I thought I was just an anxious person.
The ER Doc prescribed me Librium.
It has been a wonder drug. I have not abused it at all. It is a light benzo that is specifically for alcohol withdrawals. Day 4 for me completely clean. I spent the first 7 days or so weaning myself down from 10 or 11 Shots a night. Then to 7 shots. Then to 3. Then I said screw this. I’ve got it. 0 drinks for the past four nights.
My advice if you have the ability and a good doctor. Ask for a prescription of Librium as long as you know you have the my advice if you have the ability and a good doctor. Ask for a prescription of Librium as long as you know you have the discipline not to abuse it.

1 Like

I also have been having crazy dreams since I stopped drinking. Some nightmares. Exercise the next day seems to help clear my head.

Thanks for sharing Carl. I hope these aren’t dt’s. I will see how this week goes. Like I said it’s usually every weekend. I work two jobs so I don’t drink on weeknights. This Covid has had my anxiety in high gear too. I live alone so on the weekends I can easily finish a fifth of vodka just myself. I have a prescription of Xanax that I take only when needed. It seemed to help this weekend. I don’t like to take anything normally.

1 Like

What day are you on Carl? Day 5?

Tomorrow is day 5