It starts on day 1

Today is my Day 1. I’m 37, and am currently seeking professional help for my long term untreated PTSD.

I’ve admitted to my wife I have a problem and told her I will stop drinking. I drank to cope with the stress of life and to mask the trauma that rises up from my past. I drank because I loved the feeling of getting sh?tfaced.

This thread is for you. On your Day 1. I will be here to congratulate you as you start your road to recovery.

25 Likes

Welcome! Be active here, it will help.

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ve functioned as an alcoholic since I was 19.

I know this is going to be hard.

I’m hoping that quiting this toxin will help my recovery for PTSD.

Wishing you well.

Today is day 1.

4 Likes

Sobriety helps with PTSD. It will be there in full force…but with a clear head, you can deal with it better.

3 Likes

Made it through day 1. This is the first morning off alcohol in a long time. Up at 6.30am fed the dog, a load of laundry on amd now for a walk in the chilled morning air.

Today is day 2.

12 Likes

Congratulations on your day.2, its great you have took steps to quit and start living a happy life.
It’s great you are reaching out and getting support for you PTSD.
It’s great to have you join us :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you all for you messages today.

Today is day 2.

TB

1 Like

Its that time of day where I’m sat on the sofa watching a film. The usual would see 4 cans of san Miguel or Stella. Post film, dinner with wine. My wife 1 glass I the rest of the bottle.

By 10pm I’m drunk but can hold my tongue and would have in the past considered going out out. But recently, its Iron a shirt and bed. Repeat 7 days a week.

Today instead its fruit squash and a movie, whilst I watch my dog Potter about the living room.

Today is day 2.

5 Likes

That was hard for me. Breaking the habits. I started out each time by buying some fruit juice I really liked or maybe a soft drink. At that stage every time I found the fixation of bringing my hand to my mouth was all I had to satisfy during that wind down time. Trail mix was a hot commodity. At least for me, that’s where I found it was easy. Day 4, 5, 6, those are hard. Hard not to find an excuse.

Sunday morning. No hangover, but a headache. I have this tension in my throat that won’t subside.

Today I will be around alcohol, and will have to make the excuse for not drinking. I’m not sure if I am ready to tell people I have quit alcohol because I am an alcoholic.

Its coming one day, but not today.

Today is day 3.

4 Likes

That’s really hard, pushers will always be around. Stand firm. Keep your hands full of distraction.

1 Like

Congrats on reaching day 3. That’s big. Telling others about your drinking problem will come when it’s time. Or not. It isn’t their business anyway (though I know they can be harassing you about it).

Keep going friend. One day at a time. You’re doing great.

2 Likes

Thank you all. Feeling great.

Today is day 3.

2 Likes

I made it through the village fair. Beer and cider everywhere. 4 offers of drink and a “no thank you” everytime.

Carbonated mineral water and a pre-made ham sandwich picnic.

There were 11 of us together. Kids adults and dogs. Usually I’m involved in the conversation. Today, withdrawn and foggy. So tired.

I am happy with my strength today.

Todays is day 3.

5 Likes

It’s okay to be withdrawn for now IMO. Don’t try to take on too much at once. You’ll get there!! And more importantly you’re off to a great start! Another day sober.

Monday morning, work, clear head but still the headache. Caffeine free, alcohol free and I guess this is to be expected.

Today is day 4.

2 Likes

Todays routine of habit which has been broken.

In from work, straight to the wine fridge and out with a bottle of chilled chardonnay. Thinking that everything will be better when I down the first glass without the wife watching then sip the second with her whilst cooking.

Instead today I bought a bottle of fizzy water, and added a dash of blackcurrant squash. So I replace one with another.

Today is day 4.

4 Likes

I am on Day 2 today. One day at a time but I am wishing I could just skip forward to the 10 day milestone so that I could feel more accomplished.

Grabbing NA drinks for tonight and sticking with it :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Well done matey.

Each day is an accomplishment to look back on I’ve been told. So make the most of Day 2.

Keep in touch and we can chat about day 10 together when we are smashing through day 100.

Best

Tom

Today is day 4.

1 Like

You are so right! Thank you for the motivation and camaraderie!

1 Like