It starts on day 1

So I opened up to my mum and dad last night about my battles with alcohol, substance abuse and PTSD last night. Seems I’ve done a fantastic job of disguising it from everyone. As they were stunned.

Mum gave me a hug, but my Dad didn’t know what to say or do. Different generation I guess. Still, I feel release from the pressure of telling them, and they know where I’m at in life.

Today is day 10.

3 Likes

What kind of BBQ? Sounds delicious! I find that food helps as well… If I ever get a craving sometimes I just snack and some chocolate covered peanuts or really anything. I think it’s because I used to drink on an empty stomach… And the food is, it’s almost like instantly gone….

Hi there, big BRAVO for your sobriety. This is my day 1, wish me luck!

2 Likes

Welcome! Good luck! We are all here for you!

2 Likes

That fact that you are here, means you have made your own luck DoraV.

Thanks for the BRAVO!!! Straight back at you!!

1 Like

The menu consisted of:

Korean BBQ beef brisket in freshly baked bread rolls.
Burgers
Chicken thighs in honey, thyme and lemon glaze.
Coleslaw and a buckwheat and pomegranate salad.

If anyone would like the recipe, happy to post. Or perhaps, that’s a thread for itself???

1 Like

It sounds delicious! I love extraneous conversations but I don’t really make the rules. Post away! If the administration gives us a problem we will say that food is a very important part of our sobriety! Lol

Hey.

How you getting on today?

I hope your weekend has been a success. Arent you coming up on day 10 tomorrow??

Best

TB

This weekend that I had been worried about has now passed.

“Sliding doors” was mentioned to me by a fellow previously on this thread. I believe I have taken the path which leads me to a better life without:

-Blackouts
-Drunken arguments over nothing
-spikes in mood when things are tough
-Accidents I don’t remember in the morning
And so on and so on.

I feel much more settled and comfortable in myself and confident I can make this through.

It started with day 1.

Today is day 11.

6 Likes

Evening Tom, great to see you doing well mate. Fully backing you to overcome your demons. 1 day at a time. Take care and stay strong!!

1 Like

I am sorry I skipped a day.

Work has been really tough this past 14days. I work in sales and since I’ve been sober, my mind and mood has been wobbly at best.

I have had trouble focusing and presenting my product. Struggled handling objections. Struggled to cope with an absolute bell wacker of a colleague. If anyone here works in sales, I think you would agree that when its great, its the best job in the world. But when its bad you just want to crawl inside your belly button and hide. I drank as a release from the troubles in my mind but I think as a decompression from a tough day at the showroom just as much.

When I feel up to it, I need to find the time to exercise again and use that as my decompression from a shite day at the showroom.

Today is day 13.

2 Likes

Friday night check in.

I hope you are all doing well. Today I went to Brighton beach with my wife and dog.

Lunchtime fish and chips with a lemonade.
Bounced around a couple of bars and soda and lime instead of premium strength larger. I wouldn’t have thought twice about driving home previously after 2 pints, and that fills me full of shame.

I’ve had a great day today, I hope you have too.

Today is day 16

2 Likes

Not a great end to a day.

Why am i on here opening up to complete strangers? Its a question ive been asked by someone close to me. I believe it comes down to accountability and being that anonymous that you can get away with displaying your fears and weaknesses without reprisal. I use the word weakness, as i truly do feel weak currently.

I used to be a paratrooper, super fit, and i believed i was invincible. I wish i could go back to those days of strength. But now, im a veteran the wrong side of 100kg and a shadow of my former self.

For some reason, some 10-15years later, my brain has decided that now is the time to wobble and re-live those moments. Its affected my life in such a way over the past 2 years, that alcohol has been my go to fix. Im ashamed of myself and know that i have have had choices along the way. Ive chosen to get pissed and obliterate my brain until i couldnt speak.

In 10 days i start my first round of CBT therapy to fix my brain. I dont know if it is going to help or not. Im afraid of what it is going to bring up to the surface.

Ive not drank today. But fuck i wanted too. Today was one of those days where the full meter would not have gotten past half way. Im going to fight this demon my entire life.

Thanks for reading.

Today is day 19 but it feels like day 1.

6 Likes

So glad that you are starting therapy, friend. 19 days is a huge accomplishment. Keep at it. You can’t ever be the former version of yourself, however, you have a fantastic opportunity to be an amazing new version of your best self if you break up with alcohol. There is no other freedom like breaking the chains to alcohol.

2 Likes

I just stumbled upon your thread and I’m really impressed by your determination as well as your willingness to be vulnerable with us strangers. For me, coming here to get and give support has been really crucial for my recovery because I am among peers who have some awareness and shared experience. Support from people in my life is important, too (family, friends), but most of them don’t have the personal experience of addiction or using substances/behaviors to self medicate, numb, “cope,” etc. I personally need to interact with people who “know,” how have been there in their own way and can relate. I can only speak for myself, but I would guess you can relate to that, too.

Like @LeeHawk said, we have the chance to develop a new wonderful version of ourselves that is stronger for having learned how to overcome and manage these challenges we are dealing with - I think it’s a superpower, to be honest!

So glad you’re starting therapy and you fought the urges. Well done on 19 days - you’re doing the thing! I’m glad you keep coming here to post and hope to hear how therapy goes for you.

1 Like

Thank you for your support.

It means a great deal to me.

Today is day 20.

2 Likes

Im sat at an airport about to fly to Athens. It’s not a holiday, however we (my wife and I) will be relaxing.

We are going for round 2 of IVF. The build up to this round has not been easy, and I know my drinking has been a cause of some of the stress leading up to this point. I wish i’d started this journey sooner.

My usual routine at an airport was drop off bags. Pub. Pints. Duty free. Bottle of booze for the plane.

Now its fizzy water and diet coke.

Today is my day 21.

5 Likes

Hi,

I just came across your thread.
I love your determination.
This journey is not easy but it is very rewarding.
It’s a daily reward IMO.
the feeling you have each morning knowing you over came another day is just fantastic.
Keep going congrats on day 21.

Thanks mate. Appreciate the message. Everyday sober is a win for me.

Best wishes

TB

TID21

1 Like

Thank u… I’m on day 1. Needed this motivation

1 Like