It took violence to finally allow this gentle calmness ⚠️TW death!⚠️

As a new widow caused by addiction, I lived through things no human being should have to experience. I decided what urn the ashes from Daniel’s once beautiful 200 pound body would be placed in. I read paperwork that told of every aspect of his body down to the weight of each of his organs, written by a stranger who had methodically dissected a man who was once my best friend. I held my 7 year old daughter and 10 year old son as they wept inconsolably over the news that their hero was gone. I carefully crafted my words as I spoke to them of how their hero had died, as to do them as little harm as possible. I put my kids to bed that first night, completely unattached to the reality of our circumstance. Riddled with a shock so powerful, I didn’t even feel pain at the time.

I drove by the gravel pit that the porta potty he began to smoke that pill in and he was found in sat, the place where he took his last breath beside the highway and still drive by it often. I’ve spread pieces of him in the form of ashes onto some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I held his mother as she let out weeps for her baby boy. I was advised not to go see his body in order to say a final goodbye because the smell alone would haunt me for life. I stared for hours at the envelope that held his autopsy report inside and vomited until I had nothing left to give up after reading it. I laid in bed for ten months never truly sleeping, feeling an empty ache in an unearthly way.

I am raising our children, being mom and dad while also trying to give them enough love to make up for the immediate and forever lasting impact the death of a parent has on a child. I’ve been judged harshly by those I loved and abandoned by many. I no longer fit into social circles Daniel and I had once enjoyed. And I’m doing all this while navigating my own sobriety. I can go on and on with things I lived through. But all that matters today is, I am more me then I’ve ever been. Yes, i’ve traveled through mass darkness to find me, and yes, it took an extreme amount of violence to finally allow this gentle calmness that resides inside me. But I am more me than I have ever been. Sometimes there is beauty even in destruction if we can just hold on and wait for the storm to pass. No, this is not the life I had planned for myself. This is not what I wanted and it’s not what Daniel wanted, it just “is”. Sometimes there is no black-and-white, sometimes there just “is”… But even still, it IS a beautiful life.

Rock-bottom can only be measured by the person digging the hole. When others think we arrived, we find a way to go deeper. And when we think we’ve arrived, there’s a shovel waiting for us. So, we go a little further. Not realizing that we decide where our rock-bottom ends and not remembering that rock bottom, demands we pay a price, for the ride back up. But when you make it back to the top, the view is beautiful. THIS I have come to KNOW. Today, I stand 22 months sober.

44 Likes

Congratulations on your 22 months! Amazing the things we can do that we never thought possible…including what we can live through and how grief completely changes who we are. It isn’t a new chapter, it is a whole new book. Always wishing you peace and love and growth on your journey. :heart:

6 Likes

Thanks sassy! :heart: always appreciate you and your support and kindness! One day at a time :heart:

4 Likes

I’ll take it!! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

When I first downloaded this app your story was the first I came across. It was something that I needed to read/hear in that very moment. It’s very raw and real. Which is hard for a lot of people to see. Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on 22 months. He was a handsome lad. Prayers and blessings to you and your children :blue_heart:

7 Likes

Thanks man. Appreciate it :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on your 22 months Sarahya. As always, thank you for sharing your powerful experience. You are an inspiration. Sending strength & love xx

2 Likes

Congratulation on your 22 months. I am truly happy for you and admire your strength and resolution. I appreciate you sharing your experiences and helping others to hold on and move on. Love to you and your kids :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations on reaching 22 months! You’re such a strong woman who’s been to Hell and back but here you are, still standing for yourself and your two beautiful babies. :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations on your 22 months of recovery. I really admire your strength and courage. Keep being awesome.

1 Like

Congratulations on 22 months! Your strength and determination are admirable. So proud to be taking this journey with you.

1 Like

Congratulations :partying_face:
You are inspiring :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

Congratulations for 22 months of sobriety. It is amazing what you have achieved. I hope that you sharing your story might save others lifes!

2 Likes

Sarahya, I opened this thread this morning not knowing what I was in for. I got to work early and got my computer on and checked in. As I’m flooded with emotions, I look back in my life and resonate with the sense of loss in a totally different way. Thank you for your honest share. Congratulations on 22 months, that amazing!

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing and reminding us of so many important things! Much appreciated.

Congratulations to 22 months of sobriety!:muscle:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story @Sarahyab, with your feelings and proceses in so much beautifully-written detail.

1 Like

Wow! An incredible journey. Im so sorry for your loss, and for the things you have had to endure. Im proud of you and inspired by your resilience. You are poetic in your writing, and your words have truly moved me. Thank you.

4 Likes

Congrats on your 22 months Sarah :tada: So grateful that you are finding you in this sobriety journey and overcoming all the hurt and pain that you have had to endure. Big hugs to you and wishing you nothing but happiness on your road ahead! :heart:
tenor (1)

3 Likes

You are an inspiration homie.
Congratulations on your sober time and thanks for showing us your strong heart here. 🩷

3 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Life is a brutal teacher isn’t it… But there is wisdom gained from the tragedies. :heart:

1 Like