Itchy skin from giving up alcohol

Hi all, I’m 6 days into my sobriety. I have been drinking wine heavily since my dad passed away 5 years ago, firstly as a coping mechanisms, then boredom, now habit.
I’m sitting here & my whole body is itching (driving me nuts). I am just wondering if this a normal side effect of giving up. I know it can be for opiate withdrawal but have never heard of it for alcohol. I’ve googled it & mostly I found that drinking can cause itchiness.
Thanks in advance.

11 Likes

Hi welcome to the forums.

Congrats on 6 days off the booze, first 10 were the worst for me so if you are like me you are almost there.

Extreme itchy skin is a stage of alcohol withdrawal can get so extreme it feels like you have bugs crawling under your skin.

Do you have any other symptoms?

4 Likes

You might want to give this a read through to. The third stage of withdrawal can be severe so it’s important to know what to expect.

7 Likes

Welcome Lisa! I came off opioids, cocaine and alcohol at the same time but I didn’t experience any itching so I can’t help you with that. I just wanted to welcome you to our awesome community. I look forward to getting to know you and taking this journey with you.

4 Likes

Hi… Im praying journey is good to u

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment. Tiredness but I work 8-10 hour shifts on my feet, I’m in my mid 40s so I guess it’s just getting older & my job. Plus my shifts are random so my sleep pattern is always messed up.
I’m also lethargic but restless at the same time. I feel dehydrated, I’ve always drank lots of water but I somehow feel more dehydrated now that I’ve quit drinking than I had done while I drank.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for that, it says extreme itching in stage 3. I’m just happy knowing it’s a normal part of giving up.

2 Likes

Yeah it really goes past just behing dehydrated, all of my vitamins and minerals were out of whack from using the amount I did for the length of time I did.

I always felt better when i ate salty things and then drank the water, it helped me retain the fluid a bit better. Magnesium bisglycinate is a really good suppliment to take at bedtime, it will help you relax, it definitely has improved my sleeping habits. (Take small doses at the begining though as it will make your bowels work too!)

I am glad you reached out here with your question.

2 Likes

Yep, you are exactly where you are supposed to be. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, we got your back. :heart:

1 Like

Welcome! Good that you are here. I was clammy, not itchy. Stay strong and stay in touch

1 Like

Thank you. A lot of years ago after an accident I was given morphine by my doctor. I needed to take it for over a month. I came off it colds turkey against medical advice and the symptoms were harsh. Well done for coming off all that at the same time You clearly have strong determination & a good support network.

1 Like

I give you a lot of credit for coming off morphine cold turkey. I couldn’t handle it on my own so I went to an outpatient detox. It was rough but not as bad as it could have been. I keep it fresh in my mind when thoughts of using creep back in. Happy we both never have to go through that again.

1 Like

It’s so different for everyone but I totally had itchiness and feeling like my skin was crawling too! Hang in there. It gets better each day!

3 Likes

Hi, whats helps me is taking supplements and an alkaline bath when my skin is itchy. Stay strong!

2 Likes

Definitely going to try both of them. I’m sure I should be taking supplements but I don’t.

I used Neutrogena light sesame oil after showering, drip dry no towel.
Saunas help too If available, the sweat helps bring natural oils to your skin.

1 Like

Liver detox. :pray:
I used to get itchy hands when drinking (signs of not well liver) ,
Look after yourself, :pray:

2 Likes

I never had itchy skin but I did get tingles….especially on my nose. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Just wondering how your doing?

2 Likes

Hi Corey, thanks for asking. I’m doing well, still sober. I haven’t checking in here in a little while, just keeping myself busy. How are you doing yourself?

1 Like