It's not about what others think

First Friday in recovery…again. October 2020 was the last attempt.

Technically day 3, night 4.

Feeling the urge. It’s raining hard. I want to sit on my porch, watch and listen to the rain and drink vodka, but I wont. I can’t. I’m home with kids, my wife works from home. More of a romantic alcoholic day dream.

I forgot how tired detox makes me feel. A deep body tired. Kinda of nice actually.

I need to stay sober for me and everyone around me.

I’m nervous.

I’m in recovery alone.

No one in my immediate family really knows how much I drink/drank. They saw what I let them see - a carefully calculated game designed to deflect from the real alcoholic behavior - show I am drinking tonight “casually” a beer or two, maybe three, but never show the real buzz, the beers plus the half bottle of vodka I inhaled in the basement when everyone was occupied.

“It’s weakness not to be in control of how much you drink”, my wife says.
“She will never understand the power of that neurotic impulse to drink another and another and another and…” I tell myself.

She’ll never accept it - is the story I tell myself so I recover in silence.

Is weakness the inability to just have one, or is it strength to not have any, ever.?

Or is weakness the fear of breaking free from all the lies you’re telling yourself and everyone around you?

It’s not about what others think… until it is.

21 Likes

Others will think what they will. You cant change that. All you can do is change your thinking. I too hid it from everyone, or at least I thought I was. They all knew.
You have to be selfish and take care of yourself, one minute at a time. You got this!

6 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Some don’t get it and honestly I’m happy they don’t, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. It’s terrible, the finest of self sabotage, the penultimate of selfishness.

It is strength to be sober. It’s exalting to be sober. It’s not a task for the meek, whether they are alcoholics or just a person who has a few on the weekend. The vast majority cannot fathom a life without.

Stand tall fella, you’re walking a path very few dare to attempt.

20 Likes

It’s a paradox. We give up and find strength.

8 Likes

Very well said!

1 Like

So very true!! It takes so much strength to begin a new life. We are warriors!!

10 Likes

I think you have a gift of the written word, your expression evokes mood and emotion, and vivid imagery, please journal I think it will be very cathartic for you and help you on your journey. Keep on keeping on! I have days where I just stare at a bottle, I say no one has to know, and I think, but I will know. I walk away one step one day at a time. I say who am I doing this for? Me. That is all that matters.

8 Likes

It’s such gift the way you share how you feel…keep going🧡

4 Likes

Wow, thank you MissT.

1 Like

Saturday morning. Sober, not hungover. The rain finally stopped. Feeling grateful. Exalted!

A professional opportunity appeared in my inbox last night. Grateful.

My memory is more clear. Brain is working again. ; )

Alcohol mutes the anxiety and sadness but everything else too.

I’m excited to be open again to the Universe and all it’s offering.

I’m not a religious person. Spiritual. Today I am open.

7 Likes

Marriage vows come to mind in these situations…in sickness and in health. If you were diabetic and required insulin, she’d educate herself so why not do the same for this sickness we call alcoholism. Maybe consider Al-anon. It’s for family members of alcoholics and it’s free.

3 Likes

One week clean. Might actually be day 9, but who’s counting!

Definitely had an urge yesterday afternoon but powered through.

One thing I know about myself is I love being alone. Always have. It’s the “I” in my INTP (Meyers Briggs). I recharge when I’m by myself. Unfortunately that’s when I’m most susceptible to the demon. It usually wins, but yesterday it didn’t. In part because there’s nothing left to drink. But also because I am feeling grounded. I am committed to losing weight and maintaining sobriety.

I recently moved into a new house. An 18 month long build. A dream house of sorts, except for the fact that it’s located in a town neither my wife nor I really care for. We prefer the Pacific NorthWest where she is from. Her job brought us out East 6 years ago, where I am from. I grew up not far from where we built the house. The town is convenient, schools are good, people are decent, crime is low. Ideal in many ways. Look at any Norman Rockwell painting and that’s pretty much where I live. It’s a white, white town. Conservatively liberal. I took a knee with a group of residents on the lawn in front of Town Hall when George Floyd died. Firemen watched from across the street while they washed their shiny red fire trucks, and passers by stared at us, a white, white crowd assembled on the green. Conservatively liberal. Norman Rockwell. I digress.

Where was I… oh yeah. Yesterday.

Yesterday my wife, who is usually working during the crucial hours of camp pickup and drop off, was free in the afternoon to pick up our oldest daughter from adventure camp. It turned out my other daughter was babysitting for a neighbor so she wasn’t home either. There it was… alone time. An unexpected 30 minute window of me time. 30 mins at home by myself, which as it turned out became almost 2 hours due to a nasty accident and an unplanned stop at the local pizza place to pick up dinner.

Old me “as soon as she leaves to pickup daughter go to liquor store, charge a 6-pack, pay cash for the vodka, ready set…GO!” Old me would have rushed to the liquor store, picked up a 6-pack for the fridge, and a bottle of Kettle One, or a fancy Russian potato vodka for the now empty hiding spot - potato vodka because it’s the cleanest vodka which seems to prevent hang overs no matter how soon you reach the bottom of the bottle. The trip would have taken about 15 mins, giving me plenty of time to stash the vodka in one of 3 hiding spots, load the beer into the beverage fridge, pour a beer, and shoot enough vodka for a good pre-beer buzz. The beer is for optics. If I’m seen consuming beer it justifies my altered behavior later that evening. The vodka is the real buzz.

New me, drinking is just not on the table. It doesn’t exist. I’ve side-stepped into a dimension where I’m not controlled by alcohol. Some spiritual luminary from my soul searching days years ago explained how all potentialities exist simultaneously. What ever you are focused on in any given moment places you on a path in alignment (in resonance) with that thing. It’s like you’re a locomotive with an infinite number of tracks in front of you. Focus on drinking and that’s the track you’re on. Focus on money and that’s the track you’re on. Focus on sobriety, health, wellness… The thinking is, the more you stay focused on the track the longer you stay there, and the easier it becomes. The change I want, in this case sobriety, actually happens in an instant. I’m left with a swirl of dysfunctional thinking, memories, cravings. All artifacts from occupying space on the alcoholic train. The change has happened in an instant. The swirl of crazy looping around in my mind starts to get ignored, shrinks, and eventually gets squashed by the new reality. This is the idea anyway.

8 Likes

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: It isn’t where you come from, it’s where you’re going that counts. — Ella Fitzgerald

1 Like

I love the written word. I have a lot of writing projects I spend a lot of time and energy in my spare time. The way you articulate yourself is inspiring to me. Journaling is extremely therapeutic for me.

Sobriety has opened a doorway to a self I had long forgot. One day I looked at myself and said, " oh hello again, where have you been?" 20 plus years vanished, and that girl I so desperately tried to tame and numb, calling her too much Miss T, submerged with a youthful vitality and energy only an 18 year old could produce with a whole life waiting before her eyes could have. She startled me, then with amusement and the twinkle in my eye, with the wisdom of all my years, I grew excited, no more would I squash this light, too much Miss T would be, and she didnt have to feel ashamed, and she no longer needs to self medicate. Oh and all of her raw emotions all of her over analytically thinking, her mind clear and crisp on overdrive and nothing to hush the buzz of her overactive thoughts, now what? I have no life vest, I tread in cold water vigerated, keeping afloat and its so much work, damn just one buoy just to get by the wave that is coming, just one…

I let go, no more buoys just me and I will be ok because I want this, I so badly want me back, without PTSD anxiety without crippling insecurities without constant dread of abandonment, without blackouts with dark regrets. I feel more alive than I have for the past 20 years, im terrified, but damn it I am alive! Everyday I face choices staying sober is just one and just the beginning of so many. I like adventure, I like growing, I like a good challenge so here I am. Ive survived some pretty dark places and spaces and I remind myself, this is nothing compared to those pits of hell. I stare at the bottles in our home, I vividly remember loving Gin because it felt like it was a hit to my veins, but as seductive as she was she only promised death.

This is my fire within, and with my wicked grin, I say, “I always rise from the ashes and I will again”.

When you walk through that dimension, the other side has a buzz a high so high, encompassing self love, when you taste it on your lips and it drips down the back of your throat you will rediscover the intense breath of life that keeps you desiring for more. My body just keeps getting better, my mind keeps getting clearer, my emotions keep getting more regulated, my senses keep getting more sensual, life here in sobriety is way more fun than in the depths of any fuzzy messy sloppy bottle ive ever indulgently enjoyed. Just keep going friend just keep going.:wink:

4 Likes

Nice to read you, Miss T. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful reply. I love writing too, although I don’t read as much as I should.

“… a word is nothing more than a signpost.” -Eckhart Tolle

1 Like

Reached double digits today. I’ve been here before and it never lasts. Am I lying to myself? Can I actually do this? Here are the biggest challenges coming soon to a life path near me.

1. My daughters birthday party tomorrow night. My mom, stepdad and wife will probably drink wine. I will not. They will likely not finish the bottle which will remain opened and ignored in my beverage fridge until my wife finishes it. A moment that may never come.

2. August vacation. Not entirely sure where we’re going first, but we’re ending up in Madison, WI to see my nephew off to college. My wife and I met in Madison, married in Madison, made the best friends of our lives in Madison, partied hard in Madison. I have actually returned to Madison sober before, it wasn’t so bad. I will do it again. My abstinence will annoy my wife. She is very uncomfortable with the idea that I, the drinker, the entertainer, the leader of the drunk brigade, the orderer of shots, the one reliable drinking buddy, will not be drinking. This makes her angry with insecurity, drunk with shame and criticism. Did I mention she’s a Sagittarius and I’m a Capricorn.

3. The epic house warming party we will be hosting to celebrate the completion of one epic house build.

4. The launch of my new business in August.

5. My wife traveling for work again - by far the biggest challenge of all!

This gets me to autumn. I hope I don’t fall before the leaves do.

After the fall, a whole new list of nightmares await; Thanksgiving (we’re hosting), Wife’s, birthday, my birthday, Christmas, New Years. (I loathe Christmas - more on that jewel later)

I guess I’m establishing a new normal, right? I’m alcohol free now, right? RIGHT?

I’m alcohol free, but I don’t trust these words. Yet.

Expletive!

5 Likes

Hey buddy! I’m sorry you see these lovely events coming up as major challenges, but it’s good to be thinking about them to prepare. Dump out the wine after your daughter’s party. No brained. Do you have a sober community for support? Does your family and others in Madison know you stopped drinking? What kind of pro ram do you have in place? Hope is great, but you need to have a plan in place if you want to be sober. Rooting for you.

2 Likes

You’re looking too far ahead. Just handle what is before you right now…the bday party. You can keep real busy with that and take your focus off the wine/booze. Talk to people, cook food, clean up. You get the picture. And you’re not responsible for your spouse’s feelings about your drinking. Just focus on being sober and a better person than you were yesterday with contentment, strength, and resilience. You can make healthier choices for yourself and family with a clear head and new purpose. How wonderful for YOU and your kids! So proud of you, my friend.

1 Like