It's Not How You Fall

I feel that I have become an expert in relapsing. Sobriety is hard, and F**K any person who says its not, because it is. I think it is super hypocritical and a straight dick thing for anybody to hate on, or talk shit about anyone who relapses, even if you cant stop relapsing, keep coming back! Everytime you fall down, you get a chance to grow and an opportunity to get back up. Everytime you get back up, no matter how, you recover. Staying totally sober, no matter how long, has nothing to do with recovery period. That is why there are other words that cover staying sober such as sobriety or abstinence. Recovery only happens specifically after a failure. If you havent failed at staying sober recently, your not recovering,you are sober, otherwise known as sober. My goal one day is to be sober and not in recovery mode ultimately and I will and always have had that aim in my life.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin, welcome to TS :slightly_smiling_face:. You are correct that getting and staying sober can be very difficult. It’s almost impossible to do it alone, and if achieved it’ll probably just result in being a “dry drunk”.

I live a life of recovery and I’ve been sober over 4 years. The reason why I call it recovery is because there is much, much more to alcoholism than just the drinking. The why we drank in the first place is what I work on in recovery. It’ll never be completed, I’ll always try to be a better human than I was yesterday and relapse for me is only a drink away… it always will be. The best part is that I have control over that first drink.

Are you sober right now Kevin? TS has much to offer, I owe my sobriety to this place. Couldn’t have done it without everyone here. I hope this place can help you as well. Best wishes

9 Likes

Welcome aboard, Kevin. Glad you are here. I agree with what Dan said. I too have been an expert at relapsing, I think lots of us have, so I get what you’re saying. But you’re not gonna find shit talk or hating on folks who relapse here. Not what this place is about. Instead, you’ll find encouragement , honesty, and understanding. Maybe even find inspiration too. I know I have!
:heart:

4 Likes

Hi Kevin stop drinking is only the start of a sober life lots more defects to repair but being sober makes it easier ,today im the guy i always wanted to be but as said if i dont lift the first drink then i cant get drunk , ive been sponsoring now for a few years and it helps me in my recovery helping others through the program wish you well

2 Likes

Well that’s just …not true. You got it upside down, pal.

I wish you well and I hope you get sober and get to the doing recovery part for which sobriety is the prerequisite. Once sober, recovery work starts and never ends.

Here are some helpful things that other long time sober ppl said: Your #1 tip for sobriety (over 2 years sober)

And some resources for you: Resources for our recovery

All the best!

2 Likes