It's not what you say but how you say it!

Lol. I love that word. But I will chip in if you just keep the same profile picture so I know who the hell you are.

2 Likes

Adulting is a bad word!

1 Like

Tell me about how you use triggered and why you love it please.

It’s like an inside joke at our meetings around Syracuse

Apparently, the wisest person on the planet!:grin:

1 Like

I want to come to your group!

I’ve been there once. There’s an AA campout in Hawaii I want to do in February, but if there’s any good AA events in your area let me know!

Mk… Because one of my big talking points when I am asked to speak out about my survivorhood is how fucked it is to make fun of people voicing that they have triggers.
So when people are like “oh I just love that word” it’s a pretty big indicator that they aren’t a safe person.

1 Like

I still give trigger warnings if I’m about to post something that could upsetting. Personally my trigger was waking up and days that end in Y.

3 Likes

Yeah it was surprising to see you say you love the word because I’ve seen you give TWs in a respectful way. I appreciate that you still give them even if you joke about them IRL.

I have tendencies to say things super blunt or use foul words or make jokes, I hope I haven’t upset anyone and if I did I would want them to pm me. I was on here a while back, maybe over a year ago, and I was basically Told Everything I Was Doing Wrong by some well intentioned person, publicly. A lot of people spoke up and kind of jumped on her, she pm’d me and apologized, said her intentions were good, we all moved on with our lives.

Only in private typically. Like if I’m watching TV with my roommate, or out with someone old timers. We still talk about them in meetings though, and wouldn’t make any jokes with newcomers

What’s wrong with the word trigger?

Please explain

For sure I get what you mean. Like using the word trigger for the reason one used. I get that. In my recovery from addiction I use the word trigger to define feelings, places, people and images that I am responsible for refraining from. I don’t use it as a cop out, I use it to stay sober. If I’m lonley I get out of that because that’s a trigger, I stay away from places that I know are detrimental to my sobriety because they are triggers. Perhaps I need to use these tools in relatively early sobriety to get to long term sobriety, but I don’t have another word to describe these feelings, places or things.

1 Like

twtwtw

Ok so for me, this is all kind of a murky area and I’m feeling very much like a newb in the addiction realm.

I survived long term, sadistic, sexual torture in my childhood. I have triggers so I choose to avoid contact with box cutters, pink plastic disposable razors, and super glue because, you know, I like when I am able to function.

When I hear people mocking and playing “Oooh I’m just soooo triggered”, THAT is what is problematic to me. Having a different opinion isn’t triggering, but being face to face with something that was used to hurt me can certainly be triggering.

In terms of addiction, I do have stimuli that makes me more likely to act out and I can see the case for not calling them triggers. Is there a more appropriate, less annoying way to identify those?

5 Likes

Hmmmm I did not think of it that way. I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

Right, I feel like trigger is used differently in the recovery/addiction space vs the ptsd space; I think that’s why it gets so tricky to talk about. When I get triggered re:trauma stuffs, it’s dissimilar to the times I feel tempted to act out

Fun fact if you’re into learning about the whole relapsing on abuse thing- it’s surprisingly common for victims to recreate their abuse experiences consentually with extreme detail. That was never my thing, my thing was finding the opposite feeling, but it’s interesting to think about!

Thanks for being willing to share your thoughts about it!

4 Likes

Oh I probably will keep using trigger for the time being, but I like the idea of specifically attaching feelings to them. Emotional literacy is something I’m working on and being able to identify the feelings that go along with why these places, people and images make me want to use is pretty essential to my recovery. Yes knowing them and labeling them triggers helps me avoid them, but I like the idea of working through the label and revoking their power. So thank you for sharing your side of this.

3 Likes

Putting on my psychology hat, my specialization was juvenile deliquincey and sexual deviance. People affected by things like that, turn to things like that to gain power over what happened to them.

6 Likes