Jealousy and sobriety

We sometimes envy people because they indulge in things we promised ourselves to quit. The same people you envy are the very same peope who desire your ability to abstain from drugs/alcohol. The best “high” in the world is overcoming what you thought was impossible.

35 Likes

Well said. :metal:

3 Likes

Welcome! Thanks for sharing! :+1::facepunch::muscle::bomb::boom:

2 Likes

Wow. Welcome and thank you for that post!

2 Likes

I can’t count the number of times I’ve had people say “You’re not drinking? I wish I could do that.” I often sit there and think “I wish I COULD drink” but lately I’ve been contemplating more the statements “I wish I could do that”…are they secretly telling me that they think they have a problem or are they just sarcastically poo-pooing my sobriety as a “oh, you think you’re better than me”.

But then again, since they sit there with drink in hand and will likely wake up with a hangover and think “oh God, not again”, I will wake up feeling bright and clear…so if they are jealous, maybe they should be. I know I am no longer jealous of them.

16 Likes

Being sober is so metal, so punk rock.

I am certainly not jealous of being dependent on a drug or drink to relax, take the edge off, unwind, have a good time, go to sleep, talk to people.

18 Likes

Your welcome! Glad you can relate to it.

1 Like

People will subliminally tell you they’re toxic habits. It’s just up to you to get them to open up.

What about all those years of you growing up being sober. You didn’t need any drugs or alcohol to have fun or relax. Somewhere down the line you traded your independent stress relieving activities for a dependent euphoric feeling that has to be constantly reinforced in order for you to feel relieved.

6 Likes

Frankly bud, I’ve never been as happy as I have been the last year. Never experienced this confidence, this assuredness this happiness before. Not before I was a drunk, and not during my drunk.

11 Likes

It’s straight-edge…like a razor. Sharp. Effective.

12 Likes

Gonna spin some Minor Threat now! :100::boom::facepunch:

2 Likes

I know I am better than them!
I don’t know if it’s right or wrong. But it is sometimes how I feel when I’m out and see people obviously drunk. I’m happy I don’t have to be like that anymore!

4 Likes

I love this message. I want this message to carry me. I’m flying out to Savannah in a couple of weeks for a wedding and right now I’m 12 days sober. That wedding will be triggering and I know I’ll be jealous of all my friends and family drinking and “having a good time”. I’m even expecting to be pressured but I’m prepared to look on the bright side of sobriety. While they’re participating in their hangovers I’ll be alert and ready to enjoy the rest of my vacation with a clear mind feeling physically good overall.

2 Likes

1st point, you may be surprised at how people will react. We have a habit of thinking something is going to happen and then build it up and become really anxious about it. Invariably it doesn’t happen like that.

And second, start to think now that you’re not going to be jealous. Just what is there to be jealous of.

This is definitely the way you should be thinking. And be proud of it.:grinning:

1 Like

You’re right. Thank you for the perspective. I look forward to having a good time, regardless.

Exactly! :star_struck::grinning:

How do u over come someone’s mental abuse?

You have to choose to. That also means making the downstream decisions that come with that choice, such as therapy if need be.

3 Likes

Thank you SO much for your post! I called my sponsor crying because I was feeling resentful towards one individual and jealous towards another. The individual I was jealous towards wasn’t working and was at a Hotel drinking. I WAS working and celebrating 24 days clean & sober. I’m not the “stuck” one… they are. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes