Just beginning, a new start

Hey everybody,

I’m so happy that there is a place we can all support each other. Up until recently I would never have though I had a problem. However, with that being said I’m facing a slew of legal issues given my choices. I know that sobriety is my best and healthiest option to get through this. I come from a long line of alcoholics and addicts. I started smoking pot and drinking at a young age. It’s hard not to partake when it seems to be such a normal part of every day life…… that being said I’m taking the steps necessary to better myself and my case. I welcome any and all support you all may have to offer. I’ve actively cut ties with all the people in my life who use to better help myself be successful. I’m attending my first NA meeting this evening and I wouldn’t say I’m scared…. Just very anxious. I can’t remember a time in my life I have ever gone this long without smoking pot. Abstaining from drinking isn’t really a struggle I’m facing, drinking was always more of a social thing for me. However I haven’t smoked weed in over a week and my body can feel it. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story. I’m just hoping through these positive changes I can get back to the person I loved before. Right now I can’t even stand to look myself in the mirror because my guilt is eating me alive. Any advise is welcome, bless you all :heart:

12 Likes

I hope you will have a great NA meeting!
I understand you are stressed for it, but they will be nice for you and welcome you with open arms! Let us know how it went!!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriety so far! I am sure a lot of people will associate with your story about starting young and having examples of substance abuse in their family. I thought it was interesting where you wrote about our behaviours being “part of everyday life”. I don’t think I’ve heard of addiction described in that way before but it is so accurate!

I hope your meeting goes/went well! I always find meetings and this community helpful mainly because people talk about the substances in a way I can understand. They talk and think about them the same way I do. I reassures me that I have a problem when those “just one …” thoughts creep in!

Keep posting and embrace the journey. :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Be very welcome. I am a failure as a recovery addict but being here is a big big support. Day 5

My first meeting went really well! I was an emotional wreck but it was worth it. I will definitely keep going back, this is something I need as well as want in my life. I want to break the chains that bind me so to speak. Thank you all for your support it has helped me more than you realize :heart:

4 Likes

Hey again, :wave: Shae,
Gratitude has been my best go to tool to start my day. Every single day since 01/02/2020. And this sober community has been great support for me.
If you’re willing, check out the Gratitudes over here.

Coffee is always on and there’s always plenty of gratitude to go around when we are sober.
:pray:t2::heart:

Today is actually day 9 and I’m still staying the course. I’ve had a rotten day but I’ve been able to hold strong and lean on the wonderful people in this group. I’ve been going to nightly NA meetings and that is fueling me to be better. Thank you for asking :heart: