Just got DUI having extreme guilt

I just received a DUI on Tuesday. I am having severe guilt, anxiety, self-loathing, and hate for myself. I’m ashamed and embarrassed and I’m so mad at myself for doing what I did. I don’t know how my family is going to forgive me or how I’m going to get over this. I’m so used to drinking to solve my problems and having to face them. Head on is difficult. Not only did I get a DUI but I also totaled my car. I’m lucky that I didn’t kill myself for someone else. How am I going to get through this??

18 Likes

Welcome.

You are not alone! Spend a lot of time here…it will help.

6 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it.

4 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Bree. You’re alive. Nobody else got killed. You’re sober (right?). Big congrats on that. What happened happened and however you feel about it isn’t going to change it. What you can change is the future. What you can change is stay sober. You already know facing your problems sober is hard work. That’s true. Building up a sober life is work, and loads of it. It’s a work of love though. Love for yourself and for those around you.

I’m glad you’re here. For me this was where the healing started in 2019. Still taking it one day at a time, making slow progress in life but progress nonetheless and after this time sober it’s actually pretty big progress by now. You can do it I am sure. it takes work. It takes other people to get help from. Wishing you all success. Hugs.

14 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. It is very much appreciate it.

6 Likes

Welcome Bree! You’re here taking the first steps to a better life so give yourself some grace.

I did the same thing, DUI accident totalling my car. Thankfully, I didn’t hurt or kill someone. It was the eye opener I needed to start my recovery journey. I immediately got myself into an outpatient detox. From there,I went into an intensive outpatient program. I had to do whatever I could to prove to the judge I was remorseful for my actions and taking responsibility.

It was a very costly mistake but in the long run its paid off in more ways than I can count. It got me sober and living my best life. It’s been over 3 years and I can look back now and not regret what happened.

16 Likes

You’re lucky to be alive today!

You’re at a crossroads, two paths you can go down. One is the one you were on, the one where you continue drinking. We know where that goes.
Or you can take the sober path and begin to recover your true self.

There’s only one path that leads to the mending your family’s trust in you, the sober path.

I know this crossroads well, I stood there myself after I got DUi. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong path and stayed for 10 more years. I eventually made the right choice :blush:.

Welcome and stick around. I know it feels like the end of the world, but if you make the right moves, you’ll be just fine.

13 Likes

I got a dui 10 years ago. I still vividly remember all the promises i made in jail that night to a god that if i came out the other side id stop drinking. Get a good lawyer. This will be an expensive lesson. I kept drinking for 10 more years and got progressively worse. Im so greatful to be sober today. Do yourself a favor an sober up sooner rather than later.

15 Likes

Welcome! You get through this by using this experience as the huge wake up call it is. You’re uncomfortable, disliking intensely where you’re sitting right now- time to get up and change direction. The only true way out is a sober life, so now you find the tools, immediate, short term, and long term, that keep you in this path. You already knows where the other path leads- totaled car, trouble, misery, and guaranteed so much worse. The good thing is the sober path guarantees something much better.

4 Likes

I guess my advice echoes the posts above. I also got a DUI. Of course I didnt stop immediately after that. It took me a few more years to realize that the only way to avoid putting myself and others at risk was to stop drinking.

After a few months of not drinking I realized i liked being sober.

In my first year sober I read on here daily. It helped me realize my struggles are similar to others and that I had the power to change the trajectory of my life.

7 Likes

Wow you’ve taken me right back to 2012. Add in the worry of what is going to happen in court etc etc.

I was drinking the very next night, and for the next 6 years.

It’s what you do now that matters. What’s done is done. No amount of guilt can change it you can deal with that further down the line. It’s time to make a decision. This could be the most precious life lesson.

Your family will forgive you. If you show them you’re worth their forgiveness. And that takes time, one day at a time. You can get through this if you want to.

You’re in the right place. I wish you the very best I really do. :heart:

6 Likes

Mine was 1,625 days ago. The last time I drank alcohol. It all depends on how this experience defines your future…

7 Likes

How ya doing today? @Breetini1

5 Likes

I am glad people with experience have replied. I will only add general advice - accept reality, as it cannot change, and keep doing the next right thing. You will get thru it.

5 Likes

In recovery, I have found a new strength. In accepting that is where I was and owning responsibility for it. But also owning that today, I no longer ever need be that way again.

One choice, one action, one new day at a time.

4 Likes

Good evening. By visiting this room, you will learn of the experience, strength and hope of addicts and alcoholics who have been where you are. Keep coming back. If you put the work in, you’ll be blown away with how beautiful life is.

2 Likes

I’m actually doing pretty good today. I’m really trying to focus on accepting what I did and moving forward and staying sober. Keeping myself busy as much as possible because I find my mind drifting if I stop. Thank you for checking in.

10 Likes

We get to choose our bottom. Choose this as your bottom. Do whatever is necessary to gain and maintain sobriety. Gather the tools. Seek out support here, at meetings. Be accountable to someone who loves you enough to get in your face with the truth, every time you need to hear it.

Do this, and you will get better, and then you’ll be through this.

5 Likes

I’m happy for you that you found this place. I got a DUI many years ago. Didn’t take it seriously. You can! Read all you can here. Amazing advice from people who get it. Welcome!

2 Likes

Had 3 DUIs and a totaled car, now 6 years sober after much treatment and ongoing AA, you can use this as an opportunity for big changes in your life for the better!! Stopping at 1 DUI would have saved me so much suffering. I believe you can learn from others here and never need to get another! Hang in there friend.

4 Likes