‘l’m a pickle now, what’s the big dill?!’ 🥒

We now have an official stand alone thread for all the pickle lovers out there! :heart:

Feel free to post pickles to your hearts content!

For all the Zombie people!

15 Likes

I would like to introduce the topic by explaining how it came to be,and why everyone is talking about pickles!

In the AA Handbook, called ‘Living Sober’, there is a chapter, called ‘Remembering that alcoholism is an incurable, progressive, fatal disease.’

It likens the disease to having a food allergy and then goes into why moderation doesn’t work for the hardened alcoholic.

The following paragraph was used in another thread on TS, when discussing the topic of moderation.
:cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber::cucumber:

‘As some of us put it, we can no more make that change than a pickle can change itself back into a cucumber.’ (Ch.4 Pg.8)

11 Likes

To complicate things a little bit, what I call a ‘komkommer’ in Dutch is called an English cucumber in the USA and is the most readlily available variety over here. The ones commonly used for pickling are called augurk (gherkin) over here, and never komkommer. There’s many more varieties btw, but over here these two are by far the most common. In English both are called cucumbers.
Augurk
Augurken.jpg
Komkommer

Just a little bit of mansplaining :wink:

11 Likes

This is powerful.

4 Likes

@Olivia posted these a few days ago. They now have a home to go to! :heart:

signal-2022-01-18-23-54-28-433

7 Likes

i just had pickles that were soaked in banana pepper juice. omg :drooling_face: had to share :rofl:

3 Likes

@Fury, your tribe is here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m not a pickle fan at all, tbh. But Fury likes them. I think he’s even mentioned liking pickles on a pizza :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Whatever floats your boat man, LOL.

5 Likes

OMG, why??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

In English, all gherkins are cucumbers but not all cucumbers are gherkins :sunglasses:

From the cucumber wiki: Gherkins, also called cornichons, or baby pickles, are small cucumbers, typically those 2.5 to 12.5 centimetres (1 to 5 in) in length, often with bumpy skin, which are typically used for pickling. The word gherkin comes from the early modern Dutch gurken or augurken (‘small pickled cucumber’).The term is also used in the name for Cucumis anguria, the West Indian gherkin, a closely related species.

So gherkin is actually a Dutch word. Yay us!

9 Likes

There are probably close to 40 varieties. I love cucumbers, and pickles :grinning:

9 Likes

I can get behind this thread - 100%

In 'Merica, store-bought, labeled “gherkins” are generally small, max 3-4 inches. Otherwise, it’s just a pickle.

Don’t come at me with your Bread & Butter nonsense. That’s just nasty. If you got brined - be salty and sour. No one needs a sweet pickle. You’ve been through some shit!

giphy (1)

12 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

While I love pickles, I also love sweet pickles. The pickle has to be the right kind though. Can’t stand those mushy giant pickles that come in bags. Disgusting. Proper pickles should have a minimal seed to pickle ratio.

3 Likes

Sharing some Dutch pickling culture. Pic is from 1935, a stall on a Amsterdam market selling all sorts of pickles. In view are pickled leverworst (liver sausage), rolmops (pickled rolled up herring fillets) and zure augurk (sour gherkin). The guy is eating a big gherkin, called a zure bom (sour bomb). As I look at the pic, I see the proprietor is a J. J. Stubbe. Funny thing, there is a herring and pickles stall not far from where this picture was taken today. Will have to go there and ask if it’s the same family. And eat a herring with gherkin of course.

12 Likes

16 Likes

In our country a pickle is called a gherkin and Afrikaners call it a komkommer :clap::clap::clap:

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing, so interesting!!

Rollmops such a delicacy but oh that smell, phewww my senses go into over drive, and not in a nice way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I have made pickles a lot using standard American pickles, cutting them to the size that I want, usually spears.
Here is a recipe for refrigerator pickles that do not require canning. I’ve never used it but it looks OK. Not real sure why they have sugar in there, I doubt it’s necessary.
It’s fun to make the jars pretty with the dill and garlic and whatever else you put in there. It can be anything. Also do cauliflower and carrots.

6 Likes

All this pickle talk and no body bringing up the only thing that matters. Pickles n peanut butter sandwiches :sandwich::metal:t3:

10 Likes

See, now that’s hilarious! Such a simple drawing, but the message is not!

Cucumber + Vinegar = NO RETURN! :weary::rofl:

2 Likes