Laying in bed last night and this question occurred.. Was I born a alcoholic or did I make myself one?

My identical twin brother hadnt a drink problem like me ,it was escape for me to face life and all its stresses , ive managed not to lift a drink for almost 35 years with a program and support but if i did lift a drink then i know it will set up a compulsion and my Alcoholic brain would be in control again so i dont lift the first drink , i dont know if i was born one all i know is im one ,keep on trucking

12 Likes

@Donnie_Spiering so you donā€™t think that there is any genetic or predisposition that might have a small influence on who ends up with this baffling issue?

I relate with you. I started drinking when I was 15 and very quickly became all I cared about was partying. Always to worried what ppl thought of me, always wanted to be the class clown. Never wanted to learn anything in school. Literally I didnā€™t learn, I dropped out of school to party, party party party jump from Job to job. Didnā€™t learn anything about life, education or myself. Sometimes I feel very dumb, and think it results in alot of my awkwardness with ppl because I never know anything. About politics, sports, even sober for that whole year I was still very awkward, so I usually just stuck to myself which helped me learn alot about myself

1 Like

Well Iā€™m not sure about a genetic predisposition, but yes both of my parents were alcoholics. I think the biggest difference that made for me was that excessive alcohol use was a ā€œnormā€ in my home growing up. Starting around 16 I was drinking in my home and with my parents even. So I guess the environment feels like it had a huge impact on my inability to recognize the issue in my behavior. Also, between growing up that way then joining the Army early on, I was surrounded by people that drank heavily constantly and like I said ā€¦excessive drinking was ok, accepted, and in many cases glorified.

4 Likes

Iā€™m impressed too. Thereā€™s a lot of insight here.

You ask really interesting questions Hollz. You have an observant mind. Add that to the list of qualities you pass to your daughter. Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll be exactly like all your good qualities :innocent:

6 Likes

Awls my @Matt always my pick me up. Thank you :heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

My drinking started way too young and honestly it felt at first like an expectation. It was largely environmental. My dad and his dad always boasted about how ā€œweā€™re german, and germans drinkā€ and would make jokes to people claiming our family name translates to ā€œguzzle.ā€ My grandpa had me making gin and tonics for him when I was 8 and encouraged me to drink a bit of each one so I would know how he likes it to make them better. My momā€™s side is dominican and there was the expectation of late night parties with tequila shots. I remember at 10 sitting on top of a bunk bed with my cousins of the same age a bottle of tequila between the three of us.

I lived for a long time where being an alcoholic felt like a badge of honor and I handled large quantities of liquor with ease so no one even realized how much I was drinking. It eventually became a coping mechanism when I turned 18 and left for college and it spiraled out of control after that dealing with trauma.

5 Likes

Well i think we learn from others like parents and friends parents or our environment. that makes it look normal and we just fall in like pawns. I think its more learned behavior to cope. U dont wanna feel or dont wanna give a fuck ā€¦we use and our wish is granted for a limited time. Like a genie in a bottle,pipe,or needleā€¦ we end up a product of our environment and that same thing is what brings sobriety changing our lives and environment. When wd gets in the mix of habitual use ur just a slave to it then and dependent.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s another thread with some great responses.

2 Likes

I have several addicted relatives and bi-polar in the family. I was a non-drinker until I was 35 because of that. Then I drank socially. Then more and more to numb emotional pain. Now on I am over a year sober. Itā€™s hard but therapy has helped me identify my emotional triggers for drinking. Iā€™m not running anymore. So I think we can we can have a genetic propensity for addiction but donā€™t have to be trapped by it. Just my experience.

3 Likes

Each side of my family has their fair share of alcoholicā€™s and drug userā€™s. So in a way, it was bound to happen to me. 95% of it was totally on me though. I started drinking young as well. Around 15/16-years-old.

2 Likes

I think I was genetically predisposed through autism. A big part of my autism results in obsession. I must finish what I start. When I start building a Lego set, I have to finish, doesnā€™t matter if it takes 20 hours. Same with reading a book.

However that Iā€™m genetically predisposed doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m born an addict. Many people are genetically predisposed with cancer. Not all of them get it. Itā€™s triggered somehow, I think. I donā€™t have a lot of knowledge of cancer.
Same way, my addiction was triggered through mental, emotional and physical abuse from my dad. I have been bullied for a long time and always by different people. As an emotionally diverse person I was unable to cope properly, which triggered the addiction.

5 Likes

Alcoholism is in my mother and fatherā€™s side but they werenā€™t. Brothers and sisters not alcoholic. I was always an odd child though. Sensitive stubborn often paranoid that I wasnā€™t like my cousinā€™s. Usually panicky in social situations but ok 1 to 1. Smart at books but lazy as fuck.
Fairly strick upbringing so always felt pressure to be a good boyā€¦
When drink came on the scene all my pent up inhibitions were lifted from me and I really felt brilliantā€¦ this is what itā€™s like to be confident an fun.
I think it was in me the whole time, and donā€™t know if my upbringing played any part in it developing.
One thing Iā€™m sure of is that itā€™s part of me now and always will be.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that video. It really helped me just now to make sense of my relapses. To understand why my will power sometimes fails me.

2 Likes

I came from a house where alcohol and abuse was the norm and promised myself I would never drink when I was a kid bc I saw the damage it can do BUT turned out that shit was fun and it didnā€™t have to end up hurting people everytime I drank so why not enjoy it. 30 plus years of drink and drugs and never had a problem until the day I wanted to stop, then I looked back and saw for the first time the trail of destruction in other peopleā€™s lives I had left. Personally I think weā€™re just built different.

3 Likes

Iā€™m convinced I was always destined to have a bad relationship with alcohol. Alcoholism is on both sides of my family. My Grand Father on my dads side was a chronic alcoholic, my dad is, and my grandmother on my mumā€™s side died from alcoholism. Both my brother and I now seem to be. The one difference though, Iā€™m working on changing that for me and hopefully for my children! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My parents were alcoholics to the point of sloppy. I always hated it . I drank young and hated it. Once i started getting into harder drugs and pills . I never hardly would drink after that. So my doc kinda came from the environment i was in not that i copied my parents addiction. Things like Alzheimerā€™s, cancer, or mental illness can be hereditary. So if its hereditary thats debatable since mental illness kinda leads to that behavior. Is it a disease? No most things other then alcohol can be cured will no drugs just will power to do it ā€¦

1 Like

You do realise that mental health, alcoholism, drug addiction has all been genetically linked. So no itā€™s not about people not talking responsibility, itā€™s about discussing addiction in a bigger picture.

Iā€™m new to sobriety and TS and you donā€™t know my story or me. Iā€™m more then accountable and I chose to stay sober. I asked a questionā€¦ if you have a issue with my question you can very easily skip to the next thread ā€¦ thanks

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I askedā€¦. Next time Iā€™ll just do more reading and searching