Leaky gut and candida

Does anybody of you have any problem with Candida o leaky gut? I know these are common problems after years of alcohol abuse.

1 Like

I had started getting candida! Ugh, it was scary to know I had taken it that far…leaky gut…well I told myself it was IBS but let’s be honest who’s bowels wouldn’t get irritated drinking a bottle or two of wine every day?

Only thing that made them better was not drinking. My digestive tract still hasn’t fully recovered and I haven’t drank in months.
It’s definitely way better with no leakage generally, but it just doesn’t work as well as it should/ could…I get gas easily, cant digest some foods very well, get constipated etc. Also certain meds irritate my stomach way more easily than they use too.

I have never been diagnosed with candida, but I definitely have gut issues that have worsened with high alcohol intake. It’s a vicious cycle: drink alcohol because you’re anxious, wake up feeling shitty and even more anxious after stripping your stomach lining with all the drinking, take pain relievers that further strip the lining to get over your hangover, eat crap good, then drink again to forget the anxiety caused by unhealthy choices. My drinking, coupled with an ongoing eating disorder caused severe vitamin deficiencies, most notably, B vitamin & iron deficiencies. I’m now 15 days and my digestion is improving, which is having an impact on the rest of my body. I am also drinking lots of soothing ‘timeout’ tea with valerian root, and taking a supplement called Stress that has ashwagandha, tons of B vitamins and vitamin C (as recommended by my naturopath). I’ve also amped up my yoga and meditation practices and making lots of yummy wholesome and homemade food. Support the gut, and the mind and body will follow!

1 Like

I’ve been really starting to wonder about this myself. While I attributed my bloat/intestinal discomfort with my drinking, I thought it’d pass when I stopped. Not the case, seems to actually be worse. Wondering if drinking habits helped to strip my microbiome and isn’t receiving the good or even bad bacteria/sugar/yeast from alcohol? And now things just seem to need a reset. Wonder if that’s a thing in recovery?

I Think we need to do exams to find leaky gut or Candida. I’m eating gluten free foods and it looks like some improvements.

1 Like

Do you or have you heard of Hashimoto’s? It is a Thyroiditis. People with this disorder have to eat a special diet it’s called AIP Autoimmune Paleo. You might want to check it out…

2 Likes

It’s interesting because I asked my doctor once about it and he said that “western medicine” does not consider it a real condition (candida that is). I think there is something to what he says but that doesn’t mean I agree with him though. When you search up symptoms of candida basically every person on the planet could answer yes to some of the symptoms. And then the treatment is a diet very low in sugars (including starches and alcohol). Anyone would feel improvements on such a diet since we are so overloaded in sugars in the “Standard American Diet” (aka the western diet).

Still, anything that makes us feel better is a good thing. It doesn’t matter if a western doctor considers it a real thing or not. Even he admitted that there was nothing wrong with the treatment if it helped.

1 Like

Kefir is really good for gut health. It’s basically super yogurt and liquid like a smoothie. I drink it in the mornings for breakfast. It has 6ish grams of protein so it’ll also get you there in also pinch.

1 Like

I posted something I discovered about Candida on another thread. I’ll try to figure out how to post the link. Until then, search for “Candy queen”. It’s in there somewhere.
Short version: Candida is a widely undiagnosed condition among alcoholics.

It takes time and eating right to correct your gut microbiome. Consider taking a probiotic and fiber for a month. Be sure to start eating healthy with the new sobriety.

1 Like