Learning to Love Myself (Self-Love Journal Prompts)

Most days my prompts come from the We’re Not Really Strangers (WNRS) Self-Love card deck and the write with rupi self love card deck. Sometimes they come from various books I’m reading or are inspired by a guided meditation that day.

I’ll be posting my daily prompts here but I might not always post my full response to them publicly. I do keep a physical journal of them and I would like to encourage others to use these prompts as well. Whether you answer them here or in your own private journal is entirely up to you.

I have always struggled with trying to love myself and more often than not I feel like I have no worth / what I say has no value. After hitting one year sober I realized I have no idea who I am and it became important for me to start figuring it out and to work on loving that person is the only way I am going to stay sober long term going forward.

Starting my own topic on this serves a few purposes

1. Previously I have avoided creating my own thread here and try to shrink myself but today I am giving myself permission to take up space and telling myself that what I have to say does matter.
  2. I have seen others mention feelings of self loathing. If you relate with this in general, are having a bad day, or could just use some more self love in your life I would love for you to join me here.
  3. I have been trying to answer prompts on self love and healing every day since early December 2021. Posting them here will hold me accountable to continue to do them daily while offering them for others to use as well.
41 Likes

03/28/2022
WNRS SELF-LOVE CARD PROMPT:

WHAT’S A “FLAW” I’VE LEARNED TO APPRECIATE ABOUT MYSELF OVER TIME?

I wrote a lot in my journal for this one but will share a small part of it. I get extremely fixated on things in a way that becomes obsessive and can make it hard to let things go. I can appreciate it because I have been able to channel it into cycling. It helps me plan out training cycles, write out detailed gear lists and packing layouts, create eating/fueling schedules for long endurance events, and overall follow through to the end even when my brain tries to convince me to quit.

14 Likes

March 29

WHAT COMPLIMENT DO I HEAR MOST THAT ISN’T ABOUT MY PHYSICAL APPEARANCE?

Contemplated this one through the day. Came back and edited to add in my response:

The one I hear the most is from my boss and upper management that compliment the quality of my work and my work ethic. They always tell me how much they love my efficiency working on big projects and that I stay on top of our constantly changing procedures so they don’t have to worry about monitoring me and the work I do.

Also a second one that feels noteworthy is recently reconnecting with family on my mum’s side telling me I seem healthy and strong. Not because of how I look but because of the daily choices/habits we talk about or that they witness me making. That part of my family has always been hyper focused on appearances and making underhanded comments so this feels like such an incredible shift.

11 Likes

Thank u so much for starting this thread and “taking up space” as u put it in ur post. U have valuable knowledge and experience that is wonderful to read! I like this thread alot! I definifly will be reading these everyday. I don’t often think of these kinds of questions. But they are interesting to think about :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A flaw that I think I have come to love in myself is my loud sometimes overly blunt voice. It used to be a huge flaw, but overtime (especially since being clean and sober), I love my voice! The strong, empowering voice that advocates for myself and others. It’s turned out to be a positive thing instead of something that used to get me into alot of trouble. I just had to learn how to talk, what words to use, and how to express myself in the right way

9 Likes

Happy to have you here Dana and love your response!
:purple_heart: :purple_heart: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I love this one. I think sometimes people have difficulty finding ways to compliment others without it being about appearance.

The non-appearance related compliment I receive most is from my daughters. They both tell me that they feel safe when they’re with me. I really have to hold in the tears, because it’s probably the kindest thing anyone has ever told me. :heart:

11 Likes

Oh not at all! These are from an actual card deck that I pick from at random, so I find the timing of it a bit amusing honestly.

1 Like

March 30

WHAT’S THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT IVE SEEN IN MYSELF THIS PAST YEAR?

I think just developing a deeper sense of self awareness than I ever had before. Noticing how I communicate, move through the world, thought patterns, habits, and some less obvious triggers — being able to start making small shifts in these things and getting a better idea of what does & doesn’t work. Not completely ignoring my self destructive behaviors anymore.

7 Likes

Thats huge progress and not easy to do at all! It takes practice everyday! I bet u have sse huge improvement in ur life bcuz ur doing this :slight_smile:
For me, I’d have to say spiritual growth. Just bcuz my connection to God has changed my life. The effort I put into building that relationship with God everyday, has made such a big improvement in my life. In fact, I honestly can say that I wouldnt be clean today if it wasn’t for God. I’ve been put in so many situations and had to handle so many emotions and handling triggers that have ALWAYS taken me back out. So my spirituality has been my greatest improvement :raised_hands:

2 Likes

March 31

WHAT BELIEF ABOUT MYSELF IS HOLDING ME BACK THE MOST? (REPLACE WITH A POSITIVE AFFIRMATION.)

8 Likes

Tough one… for me this would be:
That being overweight makes me unattractive and unsuccessful

Positive affirmation:
My outer appearance has no bearing on who I am as a person, with all my strengths and abilities. I am PERFECT the way I am :purple_heart::tulip::purple_heart:

8 Likes

Belief: I am unworthy and unlovable

Positive affirmation: I am worthy and deserving of love. My worth can only be defined by myself and I love me

8 Likes

Love ur affirmation!!!

1 Like

Thank you Dana :hearts:
I thought yours was beautiful

1 Like

@Butterflymoonwoman @Callie99
Dang those both give me chills turned into affirmations! Love it! Thanks for sharing :relaxed: :purple_heart:

Belief: There are people I need to keep in my life because of their usefulness with skills I could never learn myself.

Positive affirmation: I am capable of anything I set my mind to. I am smart, independent, and have resources at my disposal to learn whatever skills I need to in order to live my best life and remove myself from toxic relationships.

4 Likes

Belief: I am unattractive and past the age where I can ever be pretty again.

Affirmation: The happier and healthier I am, the more beautiful I become. I have a beautiful soul that radiates confidence.

8 Likes

Belief: The Board will let me go and the company will fail because of me.

Affirmation: I will not feel fear. I have the ability to lead with courage and strength. From darkness comes light and I will be successful!

3 Likes

Hello friends! I am so grateful for those of you here on this journey with me.

April 01

WRITE OUT ONE THING YOU APPRECIATE ABOUT THE PART OF YOUR BODY YOU’RE MOST INSECURE ABOUT.

7 Likes

I appreciate that my thighs are strong. That their strength allows me to hike, swim, walk, run, lift weights, and do yoga

3 Likes