Learning to sleep again

Made it to day 6. It’s getting a little easier to get though the day. Being back to work gives me a distraction. But once it’s time to go home and wind down, the thought that I will soon be laying in bed with my legs being Soo restless and my anxiety being through the roof terrifies me. Then having to get up for work and dreading what the work day has in store with no sleep. Before when I was taking pills (then Suboxone the past year) sleep came Soo easy. I could just lay down and relax and sleep Soo quickly and sleep super long too. It’s been almost ten years since recent that I’ve been going to sleep sober. So this is all very new! Just looking for any thoughts or ideas to help me get some much needed rest. Thanks in advance! :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Hang in there it gets better !
Definitely magnesium & melatonin before bed.
I use insight timer as well.
:black_heart:

2 Likes

I know exactly where you’re at I find sleeping the hardest thing about recovery I’ve tried everything and the only thing that helps is Zopoclone but I hate the chemical taste in my mouth the following morning. It’s a nightmare I hope you manage to uncover the remedy!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! But Yes, it takes a mental toll on you on top of everything else. making things a little more tricky.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’m definitely interested in trying it! Hoping to find some relief!

1 Like

I have had sleep issues for many years and have tried quite a few things, maybe some of these will be helpful for you as well…in no order…

1. Stick to a fairly regular to bed and wake up schedule.
  2. No screentime 1 hour b4 bed (computer, phone, tablet, etc)
  3. Eye mask to block out light or black out blinds.
  4. Keep the temp low in the bedroom.
  5. New pillow.
  6. Diffuse lavender or lavender spray on pillow.
  7. Magnesium glycinate for sleep.
  8. Melatonin at 1mg for a week (stops working after awhile)
  9. Benadryl, drowsy formula for a few nights (stops working after awhile)
  10. Valerian tea or supplement.
  11. Calm magnesium supplement b4 bed.
  12. Yin yoga before bed.
  13. Guided sleep meditations at bedtine
  14. Warm epsom salt bath before bed
  15. Physical activity during the day
  16. Weighted blanket
3 Likes

Treat yourself to some new bedsheets that feel delicious on your skin. When you crawl into bed, focus on how dreamy the sheets feel on your body. Try a weighted blanket. I bought a “cooling blanket” and holy Hanna does it work! Turn your bedroom into your cove, your haven, your oasis.

6 Likes

If my thoughts are churning, I sometimes write down some of them. I put thoughts in one column and a blank space next to the column. Then I ask each (written) thought questions like how likely is this to happen, is there something I can do about it now or later, is this rational or irrational etc.
For example: what if I’m late from work and get fired???

• is this a rational? Yes and no. I might oversleep or be late for some other reason. That happens. Nobody’s perfect. Will I get fired because I’m late once? Most likely not.
  • What can I do? There’s nothing I can do tonight bc I’m not late! If that happens, I can call my boss, apologise, explain and get my ass there asap.

The point of is not to solve problems but to organise your thoughts so that they wouldn’t run wild. It’s like you’d be reasoning with yourself. I say to myself I can stop overthinking bc it’s already been written down and reasoned with :slight_smile: Emotions like anxiety and stress have an underlying thought pattern, so it’s important to address these root causes. It might sound like a lot to do in the wee hours but it doesn’t have to be a massive exercise.

All the above mentioned soothing techniques are worth trying but don’t do everything at once, rather find a thing that works for you. And give yourself time and grace because the change won’t happen overnight.

My dad does crossword puzzles before falling asleep :sweat_smile::see_no_evil: There’s something in it that helps his brain to shut down :smile:

6 Likes

Another thing I’ve found helpful: if you start getting stressed in bed you might get accustomed to it. If I’m anxious I get out of bed and lay on my sofa, floor or somewhere else and try to calm myself down. I only go back to bed when that happens and I get drowsy. I might sometimes toss the pillow at the other end of the bed or sleep on the floor to “trick” myself of thinking I’m not in that place (bed) where I never sleep and just toss n turn.

All this might sound silly but many better sleep booklets state that you should only go to bed when you’re tired and ready to fall asleep and that you should get out of bed to do something relaxing if it’s difficult to fall asleep.

I hope you find the rest you need!

3 Likes

Oh my gosh! Thank you Soo much for taking the time to list all these ideas!:heart: One is bound to work!

1 Like

Rationalizing with my anxiety or worries has always been an issue for me…even before I got clean. That late for work thing is a big one tthough that pops in my head when trying to sleep forsure. I will definitely try to mentally ask my self, " Is this rational?’

2 Likes