Let me tell you my story

Continuing the discussion from Let me tell you a story:

Hi. I’m new to this and recovery. It has only been a week. My husband and I have taken a break advised by our counselor well he also wanted space. We have been fighting alot and sometimes it was from my drinking and black out moments. We have tried to talk about stuff but it’s just mean back and forth. He has turned cruel just like I do at times but never takes responsibility for it.
He likes to smoke weed which I don’t mind but asking him for a sober day together is killing him
My main fear is he wont6want to work on this marriage while I am making full on changes. I’m super sad and anxious and don’t know how to process. I have been going to meetings talking with friends and family.
Looking to learn to forgive myself and get better and be happy.
It breaks my heart and we are an amazing couple when things are good. We did 4 months of counseling before and we did all the work and it was great. Then we stopped and it all went to shit.
Sorry just needed to vent as I have been ready everyone’s stories. I’m scared and hurting so bad.

2 Likes

Keep moving forward with your soberity with that comes a clearer mind and with that come more understanding of your environment.life has a funny way of working itself out when you do the right next thing.xxkeep sharing your journey.xx

1 Like

Sorry you have to go trough this. Glad you have counseling with it. It’s seems like a good thing to me you both have some space now. So for now focus on you and your sobriaty.
You will grow stronger the longer you are sober. Like @Lilemm said you will get a clearer mind after a while.
Be here much, it helps!!

2 Likes

Hi Ams, sorry to hear you are struggling in your relationship. It is paramount you keep your sobriety going, don’t let the relationship issues bog you down and destabilise you, even if it’s hard, as it sounds to be. I have also been through phases with my partner in early sobriety where he was not 100% on board and plainly overwhelmed with all the changes I was demanding from him as I was going through so many myself. Over time we have found a way to listen out for each others needs and come together again, and most importantly go through this wonderful journey together. Early sobriety is a very demanding time, things don’t present themselves clearly, the mind is all over the place. Give yourself and your husband time to adjust and to learn the ropes so you can be each other’s strong partners again. I wish you the best of luck!

1 Like

Keep pushing forward in your sobriety. We can not change people, but we can work on changing ourselves. It is difficult being with someone that in some way hinders your sobriety, but you’re stronger than that. You’re in charge of your life and can and I believe will move forward. Being strong isn’t always easy, but being sober is the first step.

Thank you for sharing! Keep it up, and keep venting because it definitely helps!

2 Likes

New here. I have had a deep relationship with alcohol since I was 16. I was never a daily drinker primarily because I needed a day to recover after a long drinking night. I quit twice cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. Have 2 great smart kids 10 and 7. Now I’m at the point of binge drinking 2 times a week. Four bottles of wine each time. At least. To the point of black out. Doñt remember anything after a certain point of the night. The night always includes me getting bitchy and eventually having sex with my husband. None of which I remember. I thought I had it under control but I don’t remember shit and Im ready to give it up. The next day is hell and I have to hide my hangover. My husband never drinks or did anything. Drinking seems to make things more fun since I’m a stay at home mom. Making dinner doing homework laundry dishes more fun and energy with a drink to guzzle. I’m more talkative have more to talk about etc. It loosens me up. But I want to see if there is something on the other side. If I can get back to my pre addict personality. I used to be so fun and funny. Now I’m a lump unless I’m drinking. It’s been 7 days tomorrow. I just want my old self again. Thanks for listening
Emily

2 Likes

Alcohol is always fun until it’s not. The not comes quick and the fun ends quick. Stopping is in our control especially when we see and accept what is has been doing to us. 7 days is something to be proud of! Keep it up!

I get excited everyday when I’m timer reads a new day. Almost a game for me.

I love games and all I think of is getting to the next day. It’s all consuming just waiting for bed to wake up again. Thanks

Thank you everyone for your comments. Just getting it out and actually saying it here and hearing from you guys made me feel much better and more motivated to keepg going.

1 Like