Let’s stop drinking for 55 days

I have been trying to cut down alcohol quantity since a very long time. But it’s just not happening, the only way I see it happening now is to stop drinking for minimum 55 days as it says it takes 45 days to break a bad habit. I’m giving it an extra 10 days just for safety plus I’m travelling for my bachelors trip. Hope this helps me control my craving as I have the best fiancé and family around me.

3 Likes

I have a feeling that I do not have quantity control and if I can control that I will be fine.

Yes way too much there is no stop then I end up fighting with my fiancé and it’s getting way too much now. I can’t spoil the best thing which has happen to me.

[Removed by @System]

4 Likes

I feel I’m not an addict it’s just when I drink, I drink too much as I really enjoy alcohol. The reason I drink too much is because it makes me happy. If I find my happiness in something else I’m sure I’ll be fine

Maybe I do have a problem that’s boredom or loneliness and I don’t enjoy my work so much which leaves incomplete and guilty at night…but how to leave alcohol completely having such a social circle is really difficult and I don’t know what to do about it…everyone around me drinks and so does my father almost everyday. Quitting completely is something I don’t know if it’s even possible living in this world. Relapse will happen today or tomm

Dealing with sobriety within a social setting that involves so much consumption is something I am currently still dealing with. Not gonna sit here and tell you it’s easy, I’ve had to almost completely separate myself from 90% of friends and family to get over the last couple of weeks. I spent the first 9 days or so completely cut off, holed up in my room trying to read, write, or binge movies.

I had to do this to make sure I wouldn’t drink. A lot of this all fell around the 4th of July “holiday,” all of the bbqs, friends I hadn’t seen for months visiting, the good TX sheet cake my sister makes only twice a year. Choosing to avoid that atmosphere was something I had to actively remain focused on, because if I had gone I would’ve drank, would’ve blacked out, wouldn’t’ve remembered half the night.

It’s really difficult to choose between what’s comfortable and what you need to do to make a change. The harder step is actually deciding to make that change and sticking to your guns to claim it. You might lose a couple folks along the way, but odds are most of the people you’re actually close with won’t care if you drink or not. The real ones won’t, anyway.

The you that you are as a person, as their friend, child or loved one, that’s who they’ll stick around for. Not the you that you are when you drink.

1 Like

Well, the rooms of AA and this forum are proof that it is absolutely possible. I remember a time when I didn’t know if it was possible. I could not imagine a life without alcohol any more than you can now. I remember the leap of faith I had to take to try it anyway. I was pretty desperate. Life couldn’t go on like this. Seems to me you’re close to this point too, with your unsucccessful attempts at moderation…

It doesn’t take 45 or 55 days to break the “bad habit” of being an alcoholic, it takes recovery work and lots of it.

I’ll attach some links that I find helpful.

Resources for Recovery

Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

You’ve come to the right place and for the right reason. Wish you all the best!

1 Like

Hello and welcome. I quit alcohol because I couldn’t moderate my drinking. I’m sober almost 5 months and I’m not going back to that craziness. It is possible. I’m happier and more in control without it. I wish you well.

3 Likes