Let's share

How many times have you relapsed(if ever)?
How far along were you in sobriety before relapsing?
How long have you managed to remain sober now?

2 Likes

I’ve relapsed a dozen times. The longest I’ve been sober from alcohol was 6 months. I’ve been able to manage six months 2 times. This time I checked into a treatment facility to educate myself on how to stay sober. It has helped a lot. It’s been 85 days thus far, but I try not to keep track because it can make me antsy. I didn’t want to do treatment because I didn’t want to stop smoking pot, but this time I’m 100% clean AND sober. It feels good to be truly sober. I’m glad I’m doing it for real this time.

1 Like

I’ve relapsed twice, both right around 60 days. I am coming up on 15 months sober.

6 Likes

I’ve relapsed 2x, first time after some weeks, second time after a month. This time I am sober since 1-1-2018

2 Likes

I’ve relapsed many of times in the last 6 years. The longest I was sober was 8 months. Going on day 13 here!

1 Like

At last summer I was without drugs for a month. Used alcohol tho so can’t say I was clean back then. After that I crashed quite deep. Now trying to fix this little life of mine.

Without opiates 10 days, clean 4 days.

How many times have a relapsed? That’s hard to say. I used to count every time I drank as a relapse but eventually they became everyday and it just became way too hard to count. So if I look at how many times have a SERIOUSLY tried to quit…then I’d say that I relapsed twice. The first time I relapsed at about 30 days. The second time at about 90 days. I’m currently at 59 days.

1 Like

I’ve only had three relapses. I define relapse as an intentional interruption in my recovery, after I had made the decision to quit, forever.

I was sober from age 22 to age 30 and had one relapse during this time. My decision to quit drinking was made after watching too many Marines wreck their careers with one alcohol related incident. My one-night relapse was right before deploying for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. My excuse was I might die over there, so why not. The night was a mess. I got back on the Sober Path.

My next relapse was shortly after turning 30. My marriage broke up, and I found myself a sudden bachelor in a foreign land. The grief of this, being single and separated from my son was my excuse for breaking my sobriety. I drank for 21 years, cycling through “drink a little, drink more, drink a lot, short quit to prove I could anytime, drink a little, drink more…”

In November 2016, I thought I was having a heart attack. Turned out to be vertigo, and being borderline hypertensive. I wanted to be healthy. I decided to try to “taper”. We went on vacation to the Keys. I started out by buying a case of NA beer. Drank it the first day, walked to a pharmacy and bought a 12-pack of real beer. I drank every day. When we got home, I decided to quit for good. Downloaded this app, but didn’t know about the forum. Had 30 days when I had to make the decision to end my mother’s life support. I drank that night. I used this as an excuse to drink for 11 months.

Dec 3, 2018 I once again made the decision to be sober forever. This time I knew I needed to. I wanted to. I realized that I may have one more drunk in me, but not another recovery. I quit weighing the odds, and focused on the stakes.

Day 417. I refuse to put those chains back on. I am free, and intend to stay this way, to keep getting better at getting better each and every day.

Thanks for letting me share.

6 Likes

I tried to moderate for years and failed every single time. I’d promise myself an alcohol free week, month, Lent…and I’d break that promise in about two days every single time.

I reset my counter three days after finding this app. Can’t really explain why that night was my last drink, other than I honestly believe it was my higher power doing what I could not do for myself. Just hit nine months sober.:heart_decoration:

4 Likes

since actively trying to recover i relapsed once after five months. 16 months clean/sober since.

1 Like

I drank for 25+ years. I was one of those “annoying” relapsers…go out, drink, feel regret, stop drinking, change nothing, drink again. As far as a real, working my butt off to stay sober…this is it…306 days in and havent relapsed.

4 Likes

I’ve made a few attempts (more like “30/60/90 day challenges”) over the years. Where I’m at now in my life and journey, my longest amount of days sober was 140 days, reached on October 20, 2018. I’m currently at day 61 after getting back on track from the downward slope that started that night.

1 Like

So good. Journal-able.

4 Likes

Hi! I drank from age 13 to 57. I went to an IOP 16 years ago and didn’t drink for 5 months. At age 58, I have been sober 1 year. I am amazingly healthy and grateful for it. But I have a disease that wants to kill me and wreak havoc on my life. Grateful for every 24 hours of sobriety.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. I did the same kind of “cycling” in my drinking. I was always trying to make my drinking work because I loved booze. It’s a relief to let it go finally. It was a shitstorm of a struggle to accept my powerlessness over alcohol. Grateful for every 24 hours of sobriety. Peace & love in your journey. Thanks for your service to our country. lola

1 Like

I like many tried to moderate many times over a period of 10 years, I’d manage a few days then start again, I never managed more than three days and always went back to excessive levels. Once I decided to stop completely I relapsed twice, once after three months and again after nearly a year. The mistake I made both those times was trying to white knuckle it in my own willpower, this time is different I’ve taken every resource I can to help me, I’m currently at 70 days and have absolutely no intention of going back to that life

3 Likes

I have been drinking heavily and using from my 14th year up until now I am 30.
I have had sober periods ,but really I decided to stop last year when I installed this app somewhere at the beginning of last year. It lasted I think about 2 months and then I went on a long time path of destruction. Then again I got sober and relapsed couple of days ago after almost three months.

I will stay sober. And tonight I am going to my first meeting.

5 Likes

I could drink as long as drinking was getting in the way of my life. When life was starting to get in the way of my drinking, I knew I had to stop, because I had become an alcoholic.

2 Likes

From 11 years to 49, I have had periods of situational sobriety.

My younger self drank on weekends, or when I was left unattended (which was A LOT!) My older self used cocaine and drank more to even out those effects.

Basic training - sober. I went through tech school before they banned students from drinking during phases.

Relapses? I dunno. I decided to stop drinking until I didn’t stop anymore. I am fairly unusual, in that my alcohol use definitely lightened as I grew older. I gave up coke to serve my country. I gave up alcohol because I didn’t like how I acted or blacked out.

I drank beer and wine, with the occasional Bloody Mary, or Margarita. That said, I drank every night, for no reason. Then, I found reasons. The bottom line, I can’t be my best self with even one drop of alcohol. No one can.

34 Days.

2 Likes

Never thought I’d like meetings, but i do. It helps to relate to others and know they struggle like you do. Hope it helps you too. lola

4 Likes