Light a candle, rather than curse the darkness

I used to be a news junkie. Being “well-informed” regarding current events does not come without cost. If you follow the “news”, the bulk of it seems to be people doing shitty things to other people, or people saying shitty things about other people. This has made me a bit cynical. I try to be aware of the effects of negativity on my own feelings towards others. Sometimes I avoid the news…but being a news junkie, I do relapse frequently.

But every now and again, I read a positive story about someone being kind to another. These are candles in the darkness, but light nonetheless.

This is a thread for bits of positive news from around the world, where we can light candles.

Here’s mine to start:

32 Likes

Major news junkie here! I’ve recently changed my settings so I don’t feel so much rage at work, I like this idea a lot.

4 Likes

Love this! Reminds me of this story that touched my heart.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/11/02/friends-forever-the-extraordinary-bond-between-a-little-boy-and-a-wwii-ii-vet/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d19bd9ad268a

I don’t watch the news anymore and haven’t in years unless its to watch the weather or a particular story someone (usually my Gramma) tells me about so I am a fan this thread!

4 Likes

That is awfully sweet. News junkie myself, I try to tame it. When I come across something to do with unconditional love, a selfless act in other words; especially concerning animals, I find purpose in life. I have learned to avoid news in my dark times as they can be aggravating. When I felt that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired the time has arrived. It was the time to quit. I promised myself that I will be in search of peace in everything I do. I will be kind to myself. That includes less involvement with news, take it a notch down. It helps me stay sober.

1 Like

I’m also a news junkie. I try now to keep it to end of day or start of day only. Otherwise it is the same bad stuff rehashed all day long with nothing new. I do try to go completely without any news occasionally but then I worry about being ignorant of life outside of my bubble. The trick is to find the balance between knowledge and obsession.

Thank you for sharing this story. We do need more good news.

1 Like

Oh my heart!! And the matching John Deeres :heart:

1 Like

I love this thread!

I know. Stuck with me two years so far, just so adorable! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I stopped watching the news too. Like everyone else I couldn’t take the constant barrage of people being horrible to each other. My daughters were also struggling with depression We ended up finding a good news app. Goodnewsnetwork.org they even send you good news throughout the day if you would like. Just thought I’d share. Nice to see I’m not alone :grin:

8 Likes

Now I have a reason to go get donuts and icecream today.

4 Likes

Thank you for this link. It is now in my daily check.

1 Like

And for times when you are driving

1 Like

Honestly Stevie , if there was an action figure of you I would buy it ! :slight_smile: Who knows maybe one day.

I stopped recently , it’s 1984 out there and my mind loves thinking about it and overthinking it and I need relief now.

And again on a silver platter.
Go do a 3D scan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Appreciate the comment, my friend. But, I am just a guy trying to win the daily battle, same as everyone else, who has learned that it all starts with the fight in my own mind, yin and yang, light and dark.

3 Likes

Love is action, not a feeling:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifestyle/couple-6-kids-already-adopts-7-siblings-fostering-years-just-trying-give-kids-chance-life-005005812.html

1 Like

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/3131/Three-Moms-Come-To-The-Rescue-Of-Mother-Flying-By-Herself-With-2-Kids Helping others that are struggling is what it’s all about!

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it any better my friend

1 Like

It’s certainly seems that there are a lot of people giving up the news. I gave it up years ago, but have been catching bits concerning brexit. And wonder why.

I can’t give it up totally. I am just filtering the headlines and won’t dive into a negative story.

2 Likes

Know what you mean. I scan the headlines in the papers in the morning, but the tabloids tend to be only celebrity crap and the others are at the moment just slagging off whichever party they don’t affiliate to. Boring! And then I get angry at the tv because it shows the government acting like school kids. What’s the point in paying attention to it.

1 Like