Location change to start over?

Has anyone moved to “start over”? Did it help? We’re thinking about making a big life change - moving from TX to Mass. I am stressing about it, but I know my triggers are here in TX, work and a close close friend. I keep starting and falling off the wagon, so while in some ways this would help, I’m nervous it might cause a tailspin. Just looking for some advice or insight.

1 Like

My only advice is if you are only moving to leave the addict behind…guess who will look back at you in the mirror. Location might play a part to this but truly it’s yourself that’s the main ingredient

3 Likes

Tried this a few times before i got sober took more than my clothes in my suitcase my problems aswell theve got booze in mass aswell wish you well

1 Like

What’s the fellowship like in Glasgow? I’m gonna be up there in a few weeks.

Make sure you identify those “whys” in your psyche. I know that if I were to move, I could distance myself from a lot of my triggers, but the “whys” that I have been self medicating for years will hitch a ride in my moving truck. U cannot geographically escape what’s in your mind and the experiences you have lived through. So my only advice would be to make sure you are very cognizant of what you drink to avoid, because that baggage is following you to your final destination.

We’re moving mostly to be closer to family. The stress from not having any help is some of what triggers me, and having family would be so helpful. I’m also thinking a job change would help. When I was home on vacation I racked up several days in a row - I didn’t have work stressing me out! I will have to work no matter where I go, but a different job I’m hoping will help.

lots of meetings good crack , i live 25 miles outside Glasgow was born there im in the country now NewPerspective called in before i moved here we had coffee he text me last week said you all missed my wisdom Chad had a monopoly here lol

1 Like

I don’t do crack anymore thanks though.
I’m gonna do a few meetings up there tend to do more NA. I do identify with AA though.

1 Like

were do you hail from if you dont mind me asking

God’s county,Yorkshire ,so I may not be welcome in Glasgow, although I won’t mention Brexit.

I like this quote, “wherever you go, there you are”. So while a location change has benefits, like others have told you make sure you’re addressing your “whys” and getting to the root of your issues, otherwise they’ll follow you wherever you go.

1 Like

Dang I’m glad I let you have the weekend to set everything right.

not a fan of politics . was down doncaster last year went to a Rod Stewart cocert in Sheffield last time i seen him was 1976 in apolo in Glasgow

1 Like

From personal experience, the only way a move will help you stay sober is if you are moving away from drug connections. You will be able to buy alcohol any where you move.

1 Like

Thanks Chad your a gentleman lol

1 Like

I’m from Doncaster, you’ll have gone to the football stadium to see Rod.
I’ll be working at Monklands hospital in Aires hire.

Monklands is in coatbridge just off the m74

It is Airdrie sorry I go all over I forget. Lol

yea your right just through coatbridge let me know when you up can grab a coffee ,im busy doing next years quotes for my landscaping company but prob can get a day off

1 Like

I will do be nice to meet up. Sounds good.

1 Like