Looking for a sponsor-like person

I’m clawing back trying to find this sobriety, starting that day one again, ready to start facing those demons that’ve defeated me so many times before. Every other time I’ve tried to do this on my own and I don’t think that I’ll succeed in that fashion. I’ve considered AA, but the religious basis is deterring (I’m more of a spiritual pagan nature centric hippy lady) and I’m quite shy and feel I’d benefit more from an e-sponsor of sorts.

I am not sure where to start in finding this person. Would anyone here be up for talking and seeing if we’re a fit? I think someone chose to my age (30) and interests may be best, but I truly have no idea. Or maybe someone knows where I could go to find this person, or other resources?

Thank you guys for anything that could help :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Welcome, great first step. Loads of info on here. As far as AA is concerned…they will respect your belief. The lady that sets next to me is atheist, and another is spiritual (not sure what exactly…i kinda get lost in how her higher power works). Anyway…lots of good stuff here.

4 Likes

Contempt prior to investigation kept me believing AA was for hobos and religious zealots for years.

Go to an open meeting and try it for yourself, there is mention of God, but it doesn’t have to be some pie in the sky interpretation from the church if you don’t want it to be.

All you need for AA is a desire to stop drinking.

As far as elsewhere to look, you could try facebook as they have quite a few groups from my understanding, find a sober rider on IG and follow them, a podcaster who is into sobriety, and of course you could become a valued member here.

6 Likes

Most meetings you go to will have an ending we’re they ask all people available to sponsor raise your hands and if you heard anyone’s message you liked, I would suggest going up to them and talking. Sometimes you need just a temporary one till you find the right one but a sponsor is great to have. It’s cathartic to have one person who knows your secrets and won’t judge you. It takes our selves out of it when we can talk to another person about it.

1 Like

I’m going to say that, so far, at my AA meeting every speaker has commented that while they refer to their higher power as « God » none of them consider « him » as that « magical guy in the sky ».
I think AA is a lot less religious than people imagine.

Just saying…not saying you have to try AA or anything.

4 Likes

AA encourages you to find a higher power of your understanding. I’ve even heard of people using the group as one. I would recommend you go to aa.org You will find a lot of information here. The AA Big book in print, as well as audio version. MY BIGGEST SUGGESTION. Don’t make AA complicated. It’s an easy program. This forum is GREAT, but I also enjoy listening and talking to people who understand what I am, and where I’ve been. Remember the only thing you need to join an AA group is a desire to stop drinking. I hope this helps. You are doing great. Just one day at a time. Feel free to message me here if you would like. Just don’t drink. A day won is better than another day one!

5 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s support, and it’s quite true… I shouldn’t knock AA on that basis alone without looking into it more. Only problem is they don’t offer e-sponsors that I can find anyways, and that’s what I’m currently looking for

1 Like

Hang around here, you will find a few who you click with that can help you. I know there have been a few here that have really geloed me

AA is great and you don’t need to discard it just because sounds religious. People there is what makes AA great. Give it a chance please

2 Likes

Ya… I think a lot of people misunderstand AA and mistake it for religious when it is not at all. I am an atheist. Hard core atheist. And I go to AA every night, I have a sponsor and we are working the steps together… I am 7 months sober and was a daily hard core drinker who COULD NOT stay sober for 30 minutes before AA.

4 Likes

You’d be surprised how many people use crystals in the rooms of AA…Let alone essential oils,go to get reiki and alternative healing in the rooms…I myself am one of them and honestly what I’ve come to understand to be the greatest thing about AA is I don’t have to agree or disagree with other people’s opinion about God or a higher power…do I get flustered when someone tries quoting biblical scripture,I used to,but I have an understanding now that these people have lost sight of not only the steps but also the traditions of AA…which isn’t my problem nor yours!!!do what you feel like you should do! I just want to let you know that We are out there in the rooms as well!