Lost my job and wants to drink

Well I fell off the wagon 2 times already. I have not had a drink in 3 days. I lost my job and it is making me want to have a drink. It was a factory work, which I have 20 years in manufacturing. And I got let go cause I didn’t learn as fast as the company wanted me to learn. I was there 19 days and got let go, I don’t get it. Anybody feel that way after losing a job? And any advice, (besides go look for another job). Plus I am 48, and no spring chicken lol. I am just venting, I guess.

11 Likes

Yeah man I can absolutely relate. I almost lost the job I have now because I couldn’t show up to work. I’d no call no show, or show up late. My bosses were cool this time luckily. But I haven’t been so lucky in other situations, and geuss what in those situations I did drink, and it didn’t help… I just buried myself deeper into my own self pitty and said omg things will never get better. And they didn’t get better because I drank and made it worse. That’s your motive right there, it will only make things worse. It certainly won’t help you get the old job back, and won’t help you find a new one because you’ll be to busy wanting to drown your feelings. Pick your head up, look forward get through it sober and gain strength and heal in the process. Take it one day at a time, sober. Job or no job

4 Likes

Hey there. I lost my job after 19 too. Exactly. I’d gone on leave (bereavement) and I came back and they said no. I wanted to drink too but choosing not to was the best thing I did. I found other treats and I wrote and I cried. After 6-8 months of applications and interviews I got my dream position. Been there a month and it’s so much better. Something good will come. My mum kept telling me “darling, it’s in adversity that we are tested.” And I kept reminding myself of that. You got this. It’s okay to feel rubbish but you really will be okay. Xxx

4 Likes

Can you collect in the mean time? So sorry to hear that, Nick. Something better will come around. Just do what you can for today/tomorrow.
Hugs sweetie. :hugs:

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that mate. Chin up, drinking isn’t the answer. I’ve been in your situation. I’m 41, lost my job over stupid shit proceeding to drink my ass off. You know what? It only made things harder. It took me a whole but I regrouped and landed a job. You will too! Send out those applications. Put your resume online on job boards and linked in. Best of luck my friend, it will get better!

2 Likes

If anything I think staying sober and clear headed will help you get back on the horse. Take a day to get your mind together if you need to and get back out there. Many companies have certain certification windows and such (I am in manufacturing too), but many others may not be as strict. Just get your mind together, get focused, and get back out there. That really is all you can do.

2 Likes

Ive lost a few jobs due to hang overs and poor attendance so I can’t say I deserved to be working at those places. Me and my wife of 6 years have separated a week ago and drinking is something I wanted to do in the first time in 200 days. On day 221 now, I’m glad I didn’t cause I would of messed up my chances to atleast be with my kids. Probably would of lost my job and then probably my house… You then think back thinking how you thought now and would it of been worth all that? Ha.

Sorry to hear about your job. I work for Amazon and changes are always being made, especially with covid on the rise, and I see people being let go daily.

Just put in a few applications a day and don’t stress about the job. In these days, everybody is looking to hire.

1 Like

Stay positive. Dont think of it as losing a job. Think of it as God removing you from somewhere you werent needed, in order for you to be where He needs you. Pray. Meditate. Look at it as an opportunity to find your true path. Life keeps giving us the same tests until we pass them. We dont lose things. They are removed when they no longer serve us. Everything will be as it should be. Practice mindfulness. Stay positive. Reflect. Pray. Then start a real search not only for a job, but for the one youre supposed to have. It will fall into place if you have faith and let it. You’ve got this!

2 Likes

Truly sorry to hear that. We are the same age and I feel your pain. Don’t give in to your feelings to drink. Instead focus that desire on rebuilding and getting yourself a new job. Things always happen for a reason. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

I was laid off permanently from my job I had for 8 years as a CNC operator for manufacturing farm machinery 2 years ago, I would show up hungover constantly and didnt really care about my job and didnt care much about anything in general

Drinking will make it worse, the me now would choose to just move forward and find another job which is what you should do. I did find a new job but didnt adjust my drinking for almost 2 years after, cut the drinking cause a lay off is an excuse to fall off the wagon, use that anxiety as a tool to be motivated on moving forward. Dont add the drinking to the mix, it will cause resent and depression. Stay strong stay sober and hopefully get a new job soon!

1 Like

Work related problems and setbacks are always a big trigger for me as well. As an HCA-C my job can be very mentally and emotionally taxing. Yesterday and today I was so close to wanting a drink, instead I came here and spent most of my day just reading other’s posts. It does help reduce the urge tremendously. I hope you find calm amongst your inner storm.

1 Like

I have been laid off twice since going sober, with the most recent being right before Christmas. I am still looking for my next job. Neither time did I want a drink, as both occurred after a couple years of being sober. I would imagine the temptation great to drink away your worries and sorrows for a time, if I were in similar circumstances.

But I would know that any relief promised by alcohol is a lie. My worries and sorrows would be waiting for me, right there where I left them. I will not have gained any advantage over them, and will have diminished myself in the bargain. Experience has taught me this: I will drown myself first, before I could ever drown my problems.

Things won’t get better, until I make them so and to do this, I must remain sober.

I pray we both find our next jobs soon.

4 Likes