Macros Talk

Guys and gals, I’m just curious about everyone’s style of tracking their intakes of food, who enjoy working out and training, or have a need to track these things for any particular reason.

What’s your preferred method of tracking calories, macros, meals whatever your take is.
Just seeking a discussion about it.

I’m currently on a 40:30:30 p:c:f staying at approximately 1350 net-ish calories per day unless I’m hungry and have been very active I’m fine with an extra nourishing snack or small meal.
I was never perfect at macros and calories, my goal is a bit of body composition adjustment, add muscle to replace fat.

Hey @AppropriateStress are you still looking for two cents or are you good on this topic?

It’s an open topic. I was just curious about other people’s approach in general. A discussion.

Ah, OK gotcha. Reading is fundamental. It says just that in your original post. :grimacing:

So, to answer this question; eat 5 to 7 small meals a day and lift heavy shit. People tend to get upset when I explain why counting calories and macros only work for the obese and the uber fit, so I’ll leave it there. But am happy to answer fitness questions! :muscle:

Im pretty much the same as @SassyRocks, keto macros but I rarely weigh things anymore. I tend to focus more on sticking to the same foods that I know work for me. I also dont tend to check im in ketosis, I go with how I feel. Its nice to be at a point where I tell quite naturally if Im getting it wrong and adjust accordingly. I do intend to track a little more closely in the next few weeks while I incorporate an exercise plan tho. I think itll take a while to work out how much I need to eat to get thw most out of the gym.

1 Like

@Seabee I count Because it helps me personally, it’s all closeish, no crazy absolute I must hit this mark, as long as I’m nourished and not being rediclous.so I agree about the whole over counting and being super crazy about it in the end is only noticable for advanced body building most the time.

@Hailstrom I see the keto is very popular , however I already workout daily now so I like to source a little energy from carbs or my body feels tired personally.

@SassyRocks aren’t stalls the worst ? Seesaw with 2lbs . I just took measurements and only track weight for mostly water weight lol it goes up and down much, esp if you are a salty meal you were craving.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m gonna try targeted keto from next week, reintroducing small amounts of simple carbs. I think itll be necessary for me to acheive my fitness goals.

@SassyRocks My focus when starting keto was weight loss, but I saw so many additional benefits that it stuck. I had some significant stomach problems that disapeared about 6 weeks in (im pretty sure that was an undiagnosed gluten intolerance) and general mood improved dramatically. Stalls are part of the process, i found tracking hard helped kick start things but confess I did push it too far at times. Got a little obsessed which Im trying to fix atm.

1 Like

I agree that the non scale benefits really do add up. I feel so much better overall and am not stuck in the sugar insulin spike spiral, thankful to be done with that.

I have been contemplating adding in more carbs in the form of more fruits and maybe some potatoes…as I miss my fruit and mashed potatoes!

Give it a go. Id like to see how you get on. To begin with I thought id do strict keto forever (silly really) but i think you have to experiment and change as your lifestyle and goals change. Im certain ill always stay mostly processed sugar free and low carb tho because of the other benefits.

1 Like

Agreed. I was thinking today about how I hadn’t eaten a piece of bread, chips or any ice cream in 9 months…that would have been hard to imagine 2 years ago. I also hope to keep the added sugar and processed foods out and low carb indefinitely…There is no value add to them.

I will keep you posted if I add in some carbs. I am reluctant, but I also know I need to adjust somehow and fruits and vegetables are never a bad thing. Tho 1 banana has 1/2 of my net carbs for the day!

@AppropriateStress If it’s working for you; you’ve posted some pics so I/we can see it does, that’s awesome! Count away! If you can go the whole day without being hungry, you’re doing it right. I know you like to workout; do you use pre and post workout supplements?

I don’t because of cost . I use foods with appropriate macro ratios before /after soci have energy and recovery needs are met.

The only macro I track really is carbs. Keep them below 20 and I’m happy. I have been working on keepin the kcals to 1900. I utilize the 23/1 fasting frame usually, I like my one big ass meal after work.

2 Likes

I can’t fast that long or just eat OMAD. Good for you for doing that!

1 Like

If I eat a breakfast it tends to lead to me being hungry again soon. It’s no chore to wait to get home. It’s the warrior diet idea

I don’t eat breakfast either. I typically eat starting around 1pm. It might be easier of my husband didn’t enjoy cooking so much. But perhaps that is the same excuse as how can I stop drinking when he drinks? :smirk:

I applaud your ability to keep to 1 hour of eating!

1 Like

Get it in, get sleepy, sleep soundly usually.

1 Like

@CaptAZ uhgg I wish I could do without breakfast . It’s my favorite I also have to math and I can’t operate without food lol.

@Hailstromi agree style and needs changed as body changes !!

Overall the stomach changes are so noticable when you eliminate things that your body isn’t liking. Feels amazing

1 Like

I don’t even get hungry til I get home usually. Sometimes not even then, it’s more of I have to eat so I do. That’s the real benefit of keto for me. Then again I’m fat, and I can afford to live off the land :joy::rofl::pig2::man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I like that. “Living off the land” :laughing::rofl:

1 Like