Martial Artists Past & Present and MMA Fans UNITE!

I watched it. Im not shocked. Size and reach advantage. He is quick. Great hands. I would be interested to see him go to the ground and see his ground defense.

1 Like

Iā€™ll catch it in a few weeks when it goes to ā€œfreeā€ category on UFC Fightpass. Last night I watched the World Lethwei Championship, and Friday, the fights on Invicta MMA

1 Like

Whittaker deserved to have a tune up fight, but Dana always wants that $$$$ fight.

1 Like

I agree, but as an aged fighter myself, one should never count out an experienced veteran who has knockout power. In these types of fights I see how the first two rounds go. If the more experienced fighter isnā€™t having to work at 100% to stay in the fight, he just might win. Deeper the rounds, longer the odds.

Watched Invicta FCā€™s Phoenix Series bantamweight tournament last night. Exciting to see these up-and-coming warrior women battle to become the 135 #1 contender, who will face the new champion, also crowned last night.

The championship headliner was a bloody war. Julia Sterilienko vs. Lisa Versosa. Seriously, they both looked like something out of a Hollywood fight movie, and the canvas was a sea of red. Sterilienko got the split decision but Versosa should be proud of her performance. Not an ounce of quit in this girl. Sheā€™s young, and will win the belt one day.

I never count out the seasoned veteran, especially one whose been a champ. This is especially true for heavyweights. Any heavyweight has the ability to knock out another heavyweight.

Another thing is the up-and-coming contender who is undefeated. More pressure with every fight, and the quality of each opponent improves with each fight, making it tougher.

The veteran has seen it all. Won and lost. This is an advantage.

People thought the same about George Foreman.

I am cautious about prognostication on any heavyweight fight, as any heavyweight can knock out another heavyweight. I learned this the hard way on a personal bet on the Tyson vs. Douglass Fight. They are both seasoned. Maybe a bit past prime, but far from the pasture. George Foreman was 46 when he regained a title.

When an older fighter steps in the ring, itā€™s all about ā€œfight IQā€ and conditioning. Can he win the fight by stoppage, TKO or KO, before he gasses out. Can he score enough points to take the individual round, before he gasses out.

Since both are older, seasoned fighters, I predict a lot of slow, steady action, punctuated by short flurries and exchanges as each looks to land maximum damage with the smallest expenditure of energy, and then when one fighter appears to be gassing out, the other will press the pace, looking for the fight-ending shot. This generally adds up to a round 3-5 stoppage or KO. Likely wonā€™t go the distance and if it does, youā€™ll know which fighter won before the announcement.

I know of a few athletes who practice the carnivore diet. Joe Rogan is a proponent. Iā€™m not sure I would if I was trying to go deep into a professional fight.

Yes, I do agree that heavier fighters hit harder as a general rule. Look at Eric Esch aka Butterbean. Extremely heavy, and usually won by KO in rounds 1-3. But then thereā€™s Iron Mike Tyson. He was usually the shorter, lighter fighter and was one of the hardest hitting fighters ever.

Both are examples of training within oneā€™s strengths and it works. Where it might not work is when a fighter whoā€™s fought heavy for years, then starts fighting light. Dropping weight is relatively simple. Changing body mechanics much more complex.

Still, I love watching two older fighters meet. Enjoy the fight!

Good to see this thread pop up, about to restart my bjj journey soon! Had been no gi this time im going in for both, throw myslef at it full time.

I have had time trainging boxing, mma, kickboxing at various times throughout my life, would not call myself a pro by any means but enougb to handle situations ive been in.

How are we feeling about Adesanya vs Pereira?

Down for another Adesanya win, but want to see some fight come from both sides some more.

1 Like

Adesanya is at his peak.

I donā€™t follow MMA nearly as much as I used to. I do watch a fair amount of Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and Lethwei, as well as Western Boxing and I train or have trained in all of these. I do attend BJJ seminars as an adjunct to my Krav Maga training and have a lot of respect for those willing to make the commitment to master that art. Iā€™m respectable in standing grappling, getting a lot of that in Lethwei and Muay Thai, but my bjj focus is defense/escape to feet, finish standing. On my feet I play chess. On the ground I play checkers. Someone with a year or two of BJJ wouldnā€™t find me much of a challenge thereā€¦but they got to get me there and if they can keep me there, itā€™s their game.

I learned Lethwei from this guy.

1 Like

City Kicboxing and Eugene Baremen turning out some good fighters.

Adesanya has mad angles and great fight IQ.

Thats legit dude, im at a stage in life I want to settle in to something I can focus on to help maintain my body/mental health always felt best at while practicing bjj.

1 Like

I highly recommend martial arts training for physical, mental and spiritual health. Any art will serve this purpose and thereā€™s a form for everyone. Heck, when Iā€™m too old to knock around, thereā€™s Tai Chi.

To quote sensei Ando: ā€œa little martial arts makes life a whole lot betterā€

In my case, it saved my life.

1 Like

Sorry your fighter didnā€™t fair better.

I saw the fight replay. Wilder couldnā€™t afford to lose that fight and expect to remain a serious contender. Helenius wanted to press him, and Wilder set a trap/counter. Very cagey.