May I please hear stories of first AA relapses

First time someone has made a proper, whole hearted decision to stop drinking because their life had become so unmanageable, felt so good completing their first month of sobriety then threw it all away.

Thank you

2 Likes

What are you doing with this info you collect? Why specifically AA when thereā€™s a bunch of programs out there?

3 Likes

Are you feeling bad about a relapse?

1 Like

I just posted my relapse in my story feel free to check it out. Hope it helpd

2 Likes

In my mind the person who started drinking again should do whatever they can to stop as soon as possible.
Ask for help. Coming here is asking for help.
Look at what led up to the relapse and what can help that becoming a repeat.

2 Likes

Just reread what you wrote and see the part about how good it felt after celebrating the first month. A persons guard can never be let down. Itā€™s always I cannot drink, I will not drink. Things like celebrations milestones and things like that can make the resolve weaker sometimes.

1 Like

I didnā€™t work the program. Just thought I could skate by. Once I fully committed and practiced the steps things got a whole lot easier

6 Likes

When I first started going to AA I went because I was forced. I looked for the differences and not the similarities and left thinking ā€œIā€™m not as bad as them lotā€

I was ā€˜onlyā€™ drinking 10 cans of lager 4 times a week and wasnā€™t drink driving or drinking in the morning.

Fast forward 4 years I was drink driving regularly, drinking daily and started to drink in the morning to ease my anxiety. Thatā€™s where they speak about the ā€œyetsā€ it only gets worse.

I relapsed / drunk again because I wasnā€™t willing to take the certain steps provided and admit I was fully powerless over alcohol. I still had another drink in me

4 Likes

Been in and out the rooms for a couple of decades. Itā€™s the last place I tried after constantly trying to do it by myselfā€¦I just do what is suggested this time.i have a sponsor (found one as soon as could cos I was soooo sick and tired of being Sick and tired) I message every night,do step work once a week like a few questions,ā€¦sheā€™s really laid back Which I connect withā€¦ Connect with people, connect when you feel like picking up,thatā€™s what made a massive leap for me and it stopped the desire to pick up ever since I rang her and said I feel uncomfortable,Iā€™m pacing around, obsessing about trying not to pick upā€¦that was just before a month sober, it was a hurdle,and now Iā€™m 50 days today.you can do it too. We all got faith in you :blush::pray::pray::pray::pray::sunflower::rainbow:

2 Likes

I didnā€™t think I fitted in and TBH I knew better than all of them plus I was a different kind of alcoholic. Then I picked up a drink and from that day on Iā€™ve never felt so welcome and at home, now I listen bc turns out they all have something worth hearing.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never relapsed yet. Iā€™ve returned to drinking a bunch of times because I wasnā€™t done yet, I was just trying to get out of trouble. It was 18 years between my first AA meeting and permanent sobriety. I got sober in AA and Iā€™ve stayed sober in AA. Not exclusively AA, but AA is the core of my sobriety.

AA has no monopoly on sobriety. Whatever works for you is just exactly what you need. Like everyone else on this thread has pointed out, though, nothing works if we do not commit to it. In AA, they say ā€œIt works if you work itā€ (sometimes as it works when you work it). This applies to any program of recovery and to all programs of recovery.

7 Likes

came in, disregarded a couple suggestions and am grateful to have returned shortly after. hasnt been an issue since.

tom waits is in aa too :metal:

4 Likes

My problem is alcohol. I wasnt trying to leave any group out, just looking for aomething I can relate to.

Smart recovery, celebrate recover, lifering and other programs are also for alcoholics. I was just curious why you were looking for only AA stories and info. My apologies for the confusion. I didnā€™t understand your post.

1 Like

No worries. I was having a time trying to get the wording right and dont really know much yet.

Thank you for listing some other types of treatment. Iā€™ve heard of smart recovery, someone suggested it to me, actually.
But I sure do know how to drag my feet! :joy::joy::confounded:

1 Like

Stick around here with us and youā€™ll learn a lot in a short time. We all walk this sobriety path together. Just a bunch of like minded people trying to get through the day sober. :blush:

1 Like

How do I find these

1 Like

@HappyDays Hereā€™s a link you may find helpful:

2 Likes

Thank you I will see if I can find some in Alberta Canada :canada:

2 Likes

There are some links here:

Online meeting resources

All the best :innocent: