Medication Use in Sobriety

I am approaching an age when I need to start thinking about how to approach taking medicines while preserving my sobriety. How do we decide which medications or chemicals are ok and which ones aren’t? I have thought about a couple different approaches and their inadequacies:

1. Mental effect
    We want to avoid substances which cause euphoria or any other mental effect similar to those we sought with drugs and alcohol. This approach seems solid, but has some drawbacks. For example, we would obviously not want to do meth (because it is a potent stimulant) but caffeine and nicotine have similar effects, although they are much milder. I think most people would agree that someone who smokes and drinks coffee but remains otherwise abstinent would be considered sober.

2. Motivation in taking chemical
    Does intent matter? If I take a Benadryl for allergies, that’s one thing, but if I take it because I am agitated and irritable and just want to be knocked out, that’s another kettle of fish. Taken to a logical extreme, this view would allow a sober person to take narcotics for acute relief of physical pain.

3. Neuropharmacological mechanisms
    Should we avoid medications that act on the same neurotransmitters that made drugs and alcohol so effective? For example, LSD works on serotonin receptors, but does that mean I should avoid antidepressants?

What prompts me to write this now is that I have a medical condition called Restless Legs Syndrome and the medications used for it are (in order of effectiveness): gabapentin and related compounds, dopamine agonists, and benzodiazepines (eg Ativan). Gabapentin and benzos both work on promoting activity of the neurotransmitter GABA, but gabapentin does not commonly cause the intoxication often seen with benzos. Dopamine plays a huge role in addiction, but dopamine agonists themselves are not addictive and are not intoxicating.

At any rate, how do you all approach these issues? Is there any simple answer?

3 Likes

There is non habit forming meds out there and non addictive

I take meds for mental health
My brain has trouble purdusing certain chemicals or too little/too much chemicals. My brain has a chemical imbalance.

All in all
Take meds exactly as prescribed.

5 Likes

What does your doctor say? Medication should be taken as prescribed in most cases.

I take an SSRI for my mental health and Concerta for my ADHD. I take them as prescribed and I don’t abuse my ADHD meds, they don’t give me euphoria, they help me work and function and keep my emotions in check. Someone without ADHD might get high of them. I don’t.

I also drink coffee and vape nicotine. But I am sober and in the best mental space I’ve ever been in.

2 Likes

This cash be a tricky one, one they I am yet to be faced with. I certainly can not take any benzo though.I have been doing extensive research over the last two years in more natural remedies as well as know most medications are vastly over prescribed and mostly treat the symptoms rather than the initial cause. I will say no more as I am not a medical professional but there is plenty of information out there to help treat most ailments without the use of pharmaceuticals.:+1::pray:

Plenty of herbal meds out there now i was addicted to Ativan stopped it a few months before i stopped drinking

1 Like

I have been taking antidepressants for 20 years. I have PTSD and severe anxiety attacks. Now I totally agree that doing addictive drugs and alcohol are absolutely no help and cause huge problems in the long run I am struggling to not smoke weed!! Alcohol for some reason not a problem. I have never found a therapist that can deal with PTSD. I have been to 20 counselors over the course of my life. My Celexa does not help!!! Depression is a killer and I am miserable in this life!!! :face_vomiting::face_vomiting: