Mental health memes and discussion (Part 2)

14 Likes

12 Likes

I read this article on this exact topic a while ago.

https://www.onecommune.com/blog/commusings-grounded-spirituality-in-an-unfair-world-julian-walker

When I hear ‘everything happens for a reason’ I always interpreted it possibly slightly differently. Or took what I needed from it maybe?

I totally agree that sometimes things are just shit. In my personal experience (and that is one with very little ‘big t’ Trauma) I use it to mean that there is something we can take or learn from the shitshows that unfold. Sometimes it might take years before that emerges. Sometimes the shitshows might last years! But I guess I always took it to be more a comment on the nature of impermanence, rather than the validity or cause of the shitshow.

I don’t know how applicable that would feel to someone who has gone through Traumatic experience(s). The article above definitely made me more careful about how I use the phrase.

And to be honest reminded me how important it is for us to experience honest emotional responses to difficult situations. Being numb and indifferent is not the same as behind mindful or enlightened.

3 Likes

It took me forever to figure this out on my own, but it was one of the most important lessons I’ve learned in my journey.

1 Like

10 Likes

When I was a functioning alcoholic, I would get home from work to be mom long enough to make dinner. As soon as that was done, I started the drinking. I drank all weekend or was sleeping it off. If anyone got any “quality” time, it was for work. I was sober the longest there. Then it occurred to me, shouldn’t my daughter be getting that quality time? And yet, another reason to stay sober :heart::heart::heart:

20 Likes

13 Likes

11 Likes

5 Likes

10 Likes

Dude… that’s deep. I’m going to remember that.

2 Likes

I think of this when the committee in my head is banging pots and pans.

6 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

Wow! I can totally relate. My daughter would say “why are you always sick at home, but you feel fine when you go to work?”. I couldn’t give her an honest answer. Addiction took my family away and sobriety gave them back to me.

5 Likes

Your daughter is so lucky to have you as her mother Lisa :sparkling_heart: :hugs:

4 Likes

You’re too kind! I’ll be making living amends to her the rest of my life. I wish I had started years ago when she was younger, like you did with your lil one. But can’t change the past so may as well be the best sober moms we can be now.

5 Likes

I think that’s a cross we all bear Lisa :frowning: I had wished I did it sooner as well. My youngest son never got a sober mom before he grew up and moved out. I thank God he doesn’t hate me and I’m truly blessed to have an understanding son. You’re right though, just move forward sober and be the best we can be now :heart:

4 Likes

And I’m like whooooo the fuk r uuuuu chillll dudes wtfff :laughing::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

15 Likes