Mind Blowing Random Thoughts #2

Research has shown that receiving a compliment lights up the same nerve pathways as receiving a monetary reward. The study further showed that receiving praise increased the brain’s ability to recall and learn tasks.

This probably doesn’t need to be said, but is it any wonder why giving praise/compliments encourages/reinforces behavior. I think this is why there’s such a high rate of success with people in recovery who seek out groups/sponsors. Let’s share the love and compliment/praise someone today!

10 Likes

Send me $1000 then give me a compliment, I will let you know which one made me feel better.

7 Likes

They speak to each other through their roots and apparently they like to be with their own species too… And they can count,to do with how much water they have and how long it is till summer or winter .:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ll be the control group, and me the compliment and then the grand.

3 Likes

Okay I knew there was a reason I love trees :relaxed:

1 Like

@anon42928441 Since you like trees, I’ll dedicate this one to you.

The largest organism in the world is known as Pando. Pando is one network of Quaking Aspen tree roots that spreads across 106-108 Acres of land in Fishlake National Forest in Utah. The forest is composed of around 47,000 trees that are genetically identical due to their interconnected root system. Pando is also said to possibly be the oldest organism in the world, being several thousand years old. It is also notably the heaviest, weighing about 6,000 tons (6,000,000 kg).

Pando is under threat right now due to overgrazing by Mule Deer. This is a man made problem, unsurprisingly. As has been the problem with many other national parks in the past, predators (such as wolf packs) were killed. Now without it being kept in check, the deer population has swollen. Deer love to eat shoots and buds (think of it being like candy to us). The overpopulation has caused all of Pando’s young saplings to be eaten. Now the old, venerable trees have no further generations to replace them. Wildlife agencies are striving to help correct this by increasing incentives to hunters, lay down fences, etc.

My opinion? We need to do what has been done in other national parks. Reintroduce wolves to the forest. Nature will balance itself out, if we can stop meddling with it. We can prod it along by trying to correct our past mistakes first though.

5 Likes

The Eiffel Tower is 15 centimeters taller in summer than winter. Heat causes the metal to expand and thus grow outward and upward.

3 Likes

Got flagged for being off topic on the atheist thread maybe this will be fine here🤔

6 Likes

The number of countries experiencing more deaths than births in a given year is steadily increasing. An analysis of U.N. data by the Federal Institute for Population Research out of Germany shows that the “natural balance” of births and deaths is declining worldwide, causing aging and even decreasing populations.

5 Likes

That’s good news :smiley:

2 Likes

Rock n roll history 101

Black Sabbath’s song Paranoid was an afterthought, they were recording the Album, and needed to fill up 3 minutes of time, back then studio time and tape was expensive so you used as much of if that you could.

To fill that 3 minutes, Geezer Butler wrote lyrics on a piece of paper. Tony came up with a quick riff, and Ozzy literally read off/sang the words as they were going

The word paranoid is not said once in the song. The solo was just a wing it and go,

And that gave us the greatest 2 minutes and 43 seconds of early heavy metal, a pure album filler,

5 Likes

:joy: seriously?

1 Like

This is actually sweet :upside_down_face:

Japan has a phone to call the dead

Public phone booths may be a rare sight these days, but there’s one located in a Japanese hilltop garden that’s especially unusual. The “wind phone” was created by a man named Itaru Sasaki, who thought that it would be a healing (if whimsical) way to talk to his cousin who had passed away—even if the conversation was one-sided. Others now also use the phone in order to feel closer to their late loved ones.

6 Likes

Some great thoughts people!

@jonathanlee213 This is actually a serious problem. 10-20 years ago there was a hype internationally about overpopulation with little research to back the theory. Now the birth rate has dropped so dramatically that parents often are either just replacing themselves or decreasing by one. The problem with this is many fold, but one amongst it is that the aging population becomes much more of a burden on society, since the workforce will actually decrease in the coming generation.

Historically this has been one of the contributors towards the downfall of nations. Notably, the Roman Empire. Rome became so self obsessed with entertainment, self-fulfillment, and self-gratification, that the average child rearing years became pushed back into the late thirties, with only 1 or 2 children being born per couple. This led to a generalized depopulation and “thinning” of Roman blood. The armies were not supplied and began recruiting outside the central, loyal empire. This included “barbarian” nations, gladiators, bandits/thieves/prisoners, etc.

I’m not saying that this will occur to our nations, but you can see parallels. The focus on the family is slipping, and with it the nation’s infrastructure suffers.

4 Likes

Splenda (the No Calorie Sweetener), is made of Sucralose. Splenda was discovered in 1976 when a scientist at a British college allegedly misheard the directions “test this substance”, thinking the other researcher said, “taste this synthetic”. Finding it to be sweet, it was subsequently produced as Splenda by the companies Tate & Lyle and Johnson & Johnson.

4 Likes

Chemistry Geek thoughts for you.

Superfluidity refers to the liquidization of Helium’s isotope Helium-4 (An isotope is a radioactive form of an element that has an altered number of Neutrons in it. Thus, Helium-4 is missing 4 Neutrons). This event occurs at Absolute Zero (about -270 Celcius). At the point of Superfluidity, Helium-4 loses all viscosity and has zero-resistance flow. This means that if stirred, it will continue to spin indefinitely (as long as it is kept in it’s superfluid state). It will also creep up the walls of any container and empty itself.

Here’s a video of it:

5 Likes

Black holes have been a point of wonder and awe for a long time. There are many theories about these. A black hole is essentially a pocket of space in which there is a vacuum (a space devoid of matter, not the thing that cleans your rug). The negative pressure in a black hole is so great that nothing known to man can escape it.

There is a threshold within a black hole called the Event Horizon. This is defined as the point in which not even light can escape the vacuum and is consumed. It is called this because (to quote Wikipedia):

If an event occurs within the boundary, information from that event cannot reach an outside observer, making it impossible to determine whether such an event occurred.

6 Likes

CFBDSIR 1458 10b, a brown dwarf “failed” star has been dubbed the coldest star in the known universe. It’s only about the temperature of a fresh-brewed cup of coffee.

6 Likes

I like it already :coffee:

5 Likes

This meme is a bit over the edge.

Einstein believed (and proved) that our energy, our “particules” live forever. The law of conservation of energy says that energy cannot be destroyed , including the energy within us, which simply dissipates into the environment after death.
It doesn’t mean he believed that ghost, in the way people generally think of ghosts, exist :wink:

Wonder why it was flagged anyway :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like