Momma needs help

Hi everyone, I’m new here, and to be honest with everyone… all of the apps I’m downloading have definitely put some stress on me. I’m scared and it makes me want a drink… I read an article today, I’m not sure how true it is. But essentially it said when you go into ‘mom mode’ and that part of your brain that is telling you to take care of your kid turns on, so does the stress part of your brain. I’ve known that being a mom is a stressful job, but with my son we’ve had such a traumatic first year that I turned to drinking. Little did I think I have a problem… until last night and I’m trying my hardest to not take a shot. But I definitely need help…

13 Likes

Welcome, you’re in a good spot here. I’ve been here nearly 3.5 yrs, my last drink was the day before I joined. This place helped me get here. Hope it can do the same for you, stick around!

4 Likes

Thank you so much ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

2 Likes

Hi @MommaMik and welcome to this wonderful place! It definitely helps to read a lot here, see what you identify with, interact with people, check in on the check-in thread and look up relevant keywords for you via the magnifying glass up top!
I’ve been greatly helped and soothed by this place and its people on my journey so far. I hope the same will be true for you! All the best!
Resources for our recovery
Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

1 Like

Caring for a young child is very stressful at times, no dout, but it’s also very rewarding! It’s important not to lose sight of that. I saw this as I put my 2 year old down for a nap :blush:.

I used to use alcohol as a tool, to decompress and to forget about all the stress and worries. It worked, but there were some pretty nasty side effects, some unintended consequences. The more I used this tool, the more I convinced myself I needed it. They say, When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Alcohol was my hammer, and everyday life was a nail.

I sobered up and came here. I picked up new tools that helped me cope with stress, anger and frustration. Life isn’t perfect, but its 100% better now that I am sober.

Stick around, pick up some new tools!

Wish you well.

4 Likes

Being a mom is a hard job! I feel you. The gym daycare was such a blessing for me… sometimes I would drop her off just to shut off my mom brain and to shower and relax. So worth it.

I really appreciate that! I’ll look at it for sure!

1 Like

Ugh I absolutely love this. You literally hit it on the head! Haha (it was a poor joke) like a hammer and a nail…. Haha…. ANYWAY, I really do appreciate it, I can’t wait to see what type of support I receive. I’m trying this new thing where if I want to do something I’m just going to do it.and just show everyone my accomplishments- instead of telling them first and letting them watch me fail. I have no intention of failing this time…

1 Like

It’s just been tough. My son turns 1 next week- and we’ve been in and out of hospitals and I’m hoping that everything is just going to go up from here… but If he can go up from here so can I…

1 Like