Movies Check-in / Reviews šŸ“¼

WHAT!!! Seriously, the entire movie I was swooning saying to my husbandā€¦it is the landscapeā€¦look at thatā€¦and on and on. Lots of shhshing! Totally POd on the cinematographerā€™s behalf!!

Elvis got nominated for cinematography. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

It was a great movie. Maybe I donā€™t understand what cinematography is. I do know the whole look and feel of Banshee added to my experience, the story and my emotions.

1 Like

For me, I was so blown away with Farrellā€™s performance. He never has played a role like that that Iā€™m aware of. Movie was beautiful. Just beautiful.

3 Likes

The acting all around was brilliant. Did the director get a nod? He obviously pulled some magical work from the cast. Or maybe it was the casting director as well. These are the things I really miss getting to discuss at length with my brother who is incarcerated. Never enough time for a long chat on cinema. It is his passion. I send him a lot of articles on the movies and of course all the awards and reviews. But I miss our longer discussions.

Ohā€¦has anyone watched Heart of Fire? It was amazing. I think it was mentioned earlier.

@Dazercat, re Amyā€™s Megan avatarā€¦

We saw the movie, Megan, and for the most part really enjoyed it. Not as gory as implied and an interesting take on a lot of topics. Speaking of gore, cannot WAIT for Cocaine Bear!!! Which sounds very gory, but super camp, which I love. Infinity Pool also on list. Alexander Skaarsgard, I love his choicesā€¦plus in a movie by David Cronenbergā€™s sonā€¦how could I miss it?

Have just been reading about Insider with Willem Dafoe, it is now on the list!!

Did you see the winners of the SAG awards? Looks like Everything Everywhere All at Once won big!! On the list as well!

4 Likes

Havenā€™t seen this yet, but I want to.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to watch this too when it comes out here in Australia :blush: looks interesting

1 Like

Last night I watch a movie from 2000 (still in shock that that is 23 years ago :flushed: lol) called Under Suspicion with Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman. An interesting movie. Thought the acting was great, of course, however, felt frustrated by the ending. It was one of those ones that kept me thinking about it though, for some time after. Read up about it online and got a better understanding of the point of it ā€¦and like it. Just prefer to get it when watching, not having to ā€˜look it upā€™

Anyone else seen it?

2 Likes

Thats a great idea! :popcorn:

Oh are you still doing the discord thing?
It says the link has expired

So, I just saw it and was moved a lot. Itā€™s the story of the 2 journalists writing and uncovering the story around Harvey Weinstein.

3 Likes

I saw Elvis tonight and wasnā€™t blown awayā€¦
Banshees better! Everywhere everything was great too.

3 Likes

Havenā€™t seen it but very intrigued.
2 very fine actors.
Iā€™ll check it out. Thank you.

1 Like

Saw Cocaine Bear last night. Was a bit apprehensive at first because of my personal history with the substance, but Iā€™ve been off it for over 18 months and where I am, itā€™s impossible to get.

It was absolutely hilarious. The type of camp B movie horror they stopped making decades ago. Some might think itā€™s trash. But thatā€™s likeā€¦ their opinion, man.

7 Likes

Gā€™day all.

Somehow stumbled across the movie ā€œAftersunā€ the other night (made on a budget of $500kā€¦won a Cannes film festival award).

Now, Iā€™m usually adverse to movies of Cannes merit as they tend to be way beyond my artistic understanding and comprehension.

For me the first half hour was a slow burn. Tbh, I was about to turn off until things suddenly started to click into place.

The film opens with a woman in her early 30ā€™s firing up an old VHS/Camcorder tape, which you soon realise is from a holiday she had with her father when she was 11 (her parents are clearly separated).

The film covers the week away with her Dad, with camcorder footage dispersed in between the story.

Now this isnā€™t really a spoiler, but thereā€™s strange comments and situations which you canā€™t quite understand. The behaviour of the father and comments from the 11 year old (who is an INCREDIBLE actress fyi).

As I was about to abandon, it became apparent that the father had mental health/addiction issues, that he was trying to hide from his daughter during their rare time together. The film captures that, despite being only 11, the daughter is picking up on things and trying to understand/fill the gaps.

Iā€™ll give nothing more away, but the movie really threw me emotionally. It captures perfectly the impact our addiction can have on our wee ones. Once it finished I sat silently refkecting on the movie and my own experience with my children through addiction. How much have they picked up on during my years of drinking?

I was compelled to talk to someone about the movie and foind online forums. Comnents were from those who have walked in the childā€™s shoes and those of the parent.

Iā€™d highly recommend Aftersun to anyone who can relate either as the parent, the childā€¦or potentially both.

Heres the trailer if anyoneā€™s interestedā€¦

3 Likes

80% of this film is incredible. Totally engrossing and very poignant. I was thinking to myself, this is quite remarkable, but then thereā€™s the other 20%ā€¦ itā€™s like the Director and Writer had been replaced by two people randomly picked out at a Bus Stop, the Producers realised their mistake at the last minute and brought the talented people back, but the moneyā€™d run out.

3 Likes

I cannot wait to see!! Camp / B makes me laugh and I need more of that.

@anon74766472, I agree, powerful and moving.
Was particularly touching seeing Ashley Judd in it as herself.

Finally saw Babylon last night. There were some amazing scenesā€¦was the Cinematography nominated?? Stunning in places. The acting I loved, tho Brad Pitt was a bit stunted in placesā€¦never quite fully inhabiting his character. Wouldā€™ve liked a little more something overall, but it was certainly a solid treatise on Hollywood and the ā€˜machineā€™ and disposability. Toby McGuire was an Exec Producer and his whole part seemed bizarre, but not in the way they intended. Apparently I need to add film critic to my resume. :laughing: Worth seeing tho.

Sounds intriguing @kiwi79.

4 Likes

Hmmm, I figured it was somewhat incredible, as our tiny theater is showing it. The owner has good taste in movies. Will add to the list, Bill Nighy can do no wrong in my bookā€¦am interested to see what you mean!

1 Like

Itā€™s worth watching, just a little disappointing. Iā€™ll be very interested in your thoughts!

1 Like