Movies Check-in / Reviews šŸ“¼

Iā€™m STILL emotionally affected by The Banshees after watching it about 6 weeks ago. I really hope it wins some awards.

3 Likes

I like interesting pictures with meaning. Sick of the same old films. Iā€™ll give it unique for sure. Maybe I wasnā€™t in the right mindset.

1 Like

I used to get that way with Westworld, WTH was that all about? I ended up Googling different breakdowns/summaries and I really enjoyed reading them. Maybe try that with EEAAO?

I imagine the Women Talking book was pretty intense. Sarah Polley made a beautiful bittersweet film. The acting is phenomenal. Few actors say more when saying nothing than Frances McDormand (who was an Exec Producer). Also, our Cinematography friends did an excellent job. (Reminds self to look the nominees again). :blush:

2 Likes

I have not seen Everything, Triangle, All Quiet, Fablemanā€™s. Based on other award shows, seems like Everything is the fave. I voted for Banshees ā€¦ I like moody, evocative, superior acting, quiet and impactful.

2 Likes

Donā€™t waste your time with Triangle. :face_vomiting: I donā€™t think youā€™d like it. I really loved Banshees quite interesting and beautiful. I wanted Elvis to be my fave. The actor did such a great job and I love those kinds of movies. But in the end I didnā€™t want to like another Top Gun movie. But if Iā€™m honest with myself I enjoyed every minute of it. So TG gets my vote. But Everything Everywhere will probably win. I think it would be great if Banshees won.

Thinking of maybe squeezing in
Tonight. Sheā€™s up for best actress. But Iā€™m not too crazy about watching all the horribleness, sex, and drugs etcā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

My daughter suggested I would love Triangle, so will let you know when we finally watch it. The sadness of Marilynā€™s life, I would need to be in the right frame of mind to watch.

I LOVED Elvis, especially his acting. He was wonderful. But not for BP. Tom Cruise has a lot of sway, so he could definitely win BP, I LOVED it as well, but am still a purist in my Oscarsā€¦but the tide has turned I believe there and I am okay with that.

Now I need to figure out where to stream if indeed I watch. Idk, it is a lot of my life to give. Lol Sometimes just the highlights or reading is enough for me lately.

Certainly Oscars has generated good buzz here and everywhereā€¦good publicity folks hard at work!!

2 Likes

We DVR it and fast forward it. We only care about 5 or 6 categories. And of course Jimmy Kimmel.

Maybe Elvis can get best actor.

2 Likes

For the life of me I donā€™t understand why thereā€™s 10 movies up for best pic. Itā€™s crazy. Theyā€™ve done that the past 2 or 3 years. I think they could narrow it back down to 4 or 5 tops.

2 Likes

We did that as well back when we had Dish and a DVR. Same with Superbowl to get to commercials and half time, not that pesky football portion. :laughing:

2 Likes

So I watched Women Talking this morning and wow. It was better than I thought it would be. It didnā€™t completely follow the book but it really worked. I hope Sarah wins.

3 Likes

Gonna watch Women Talking tonight. Just canā€™t get excited for Tar and Triangle based on length. Elvis was long, but it worked. We will see.

3 Likes

Opted for

Tonight instead of Blonde.
Glass Onion sounded like more fun. And it was.
Itā€™s nominated for best writing (adapted screenplay.)
And Blonde isnā€™t based on Marilyn Monroeā€™s real life. I read it was way off. Too depressing a long.

4 Likes

Blonde was hard to watch. Anna de Armas did a great job but it didnā€™t feel respectful to the subject matter. It felt like it exploited pain for views to me.

3 Likes

I like this movie, a fun one to watch. Love Daniel Craig in this role :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Tonight I watched Traffic. Came out in yr 2000 and yet still so relevant today :confused: Iā€™d never seen it before. Thought it was very good. TW for drug abuse content tho, fyi

6 Likes

It is a good movie, though obviously could be triggering.

I havenā€™t watched any of the Knives Out movies yet. And thanks to you both for the info on Blonde. I donā€™t think it is for me.

3 Likes

Oscars info and fun stuff (including an explainer link for EEAAO)ā€¦

1 Like

For those who enjoy a good slasher movie, Scream 6 was pretty good!

Havenā€™t seen Glass Onion yet, but Knives Out was brilliant and funny. Especially Daniel Craigā€™s ā€œKentucky fried, Foghorn Leghorn accentā€. :rofl:

2 Likes

He is also the young boy in Goonies!! I loved his hug with Harrison Ford last night.

1 Like