Mr. Cade's Excellent Adventure

Well my friends, I think it’s finally time for me to say farewell, for now. Tomorrow, July 6th, I will once again go into the Courthouse. The purpose is to plead guilty, accept my sentence, and immediately go into custody to begin serving it. For those who don’t know me or my story, I’ll just bullet point it.

In October of 2018 I drove drunk, crashed my truck on the freeway and severely injured two people. I was arrested that night and released the next day. I have not drank since then. 10 months passed by, wherein I got sober, all the while nothing happened with my case, until August of 2019. The prosecutor’s office filed 4 felony charges against me, carrying a maximum sentence of 9 years in prison. After a little back and forth, they dropped it to one felony charge with an injury enhancement, (3 years each) but they would “stay” the sentence on the enhancement. So, as of today, I face 3 years in prison at 85%…(2yr 7mo)

Tomorrow, if my attorney is correct, I will begin serving that sentence and clearing away a little more of the wreckage of my past.

Today I can tell you, truthfully and authentically, that I am unafraid of what lies before me. Am I sad? -sure. Is it scary? - sometimes. Do I regret it? - To a certain degree, yes, because I feel bad for the pain those people had to endure. But all of this, this whole giant story I’ve been living in for the last 20 months has been profound, beautiful and utterly full of blessings that I can never regret or take for granted.

Today I can tell you, truthfully and authentically, that what I feel the most is GRATITUDE. I’m grateful that they weren’t hurt worse. I’m grateful that I wasn’t hurt worse. I’m grateful to be alive at all. I’m grateful for the time I’ve had. The time to prepare myself mentally and emotionally. The time to work and save and spend time with loved ones. Most of all, I’m grateful to have had this time to change.

I’m lucky, in the respect that this accident really shook me. I wasn’t sure, at first, if I wanted to get sober but, as time went on, I pretty quickly came to the conclusion that I had a problem with drugs and alcohol and I never wanted anything like that to happen again. So, I joined this community and went to a few meetings and basically white-knuckled it for 10 months. You can be sure that I’m glad I made those decisions and I’m glad that I stopped drinking but I don’t know if I can honestly say I was truly sober. I think I was a bit of a dry drunk. And when the prosecutor’s office filed those charges, you better believe I was ready to use again. I started to believe that I couldn’t do it without getting some help so I checked myself into an intensive outpatient program.

Best decision ever.

Through IOP, I learned to experience my feelings, instead of trying to run from them or control them. I learned to accept that my feelings aren’t facts, they aren’t in my control and they aren’t me. Most importantly, I came to see that my drinking and drug use were not the problem, they were actually the symptom. They were my response to the real problems, which lay within my self. They were my wrong answer to the questions I didn’t want to ask.

I hope that you can find a path that takes you where I’ve been. I think you may find that the most wonderful version of you has been here all along. Now you get to dust yourself off and shine again. And the best part is, you don’t have to do any of it alone. There are INCREDIBLE people out there who want to help you get better and better and better. Look for them and be open and honest. That, in and of itself, will make you feel better.
You are beautiful and you are amazing to me.
When you choose to be happier and healthier, even just a little bit, everyday, you make this world a better place for everyone you come in contact with.
It’s all at your feet. It’s all in your hands. And it’s all about love.

41 Likes

Your response to this whole ordeal is astounding and has a level of maturity I’m not sure I’d be capable of. So proud and inspired by your journey in the midst of such trials and tribulations. I genuinely wish you the best Mr. Cade, all things considered. You’ll be missed.

3 Likes

For those of you who’ve belief me along the way, I want you to know that I love you and I am taking your strength with me.

@aircircle
@Lionfish
@anon12657779
@Mtrav0040
@anon79808082
@Desire2ChangeToday
@Salty
@SassyRocks

And all the others whose @ handle escapes me right now.

I would also like to introduce you to a very dear friend of mine @JonnyAve

He will be updating this thread with news of Andrew I am and how’s I’m doing. His own personal story of sobriety has inspired me many a time and he’s a constant source of strength to me and everyone around him.

14 Likes

You have been an inspiration to me from the day you turned up here. I’m so impressed by your growth. Stay in touch, my friend. I’ll be thinking of you. :sunny::bird::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Every now and then in life you come across people who deeply impress you…
You are that person.
I am deeply impressed by you.

Go well.

8 Likes

Your words show what a really wonderful person you are MrCade; you’ve made this world and especially this forum a better place.
You inspire me to be just as brave; be safe and we’ll see you back here soon.:heart::persevere:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us! And now continuing to do so through your friend :sparkles: stay strong, you have grown so much and continue to do so every day. We will miss you, and we will hear from you again soon :blossom:

2 Likes

We’ll miss you Cade!! The strength you show is absolutely amazing! There’s a lot of new comers that can benefit from your story and I hope they take the time to read it and get the help they need. Thanks for having your friend keep us updated. Sending you and your family love and support. :heart: :hugs:

4 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your story and journey Cade. Please take care. I know you’ll be good.

2 Likes

MR. CADE!!! As I have told you before…you are family to me!!! I feel privileged/honored that we connected back again when we did; that in its self is a wonderfully empowering and crazy turn of events, that I will share with the thread in time.
Your honesty and courage in the face of all these things has been one of the most empowering things I have come across in sobriety and I’m proud to call you my friend.

To the thread----i have had much more time then my 100 days reflects

I’m new to this app, but will keep and stay on it with pride. I’ll fill in those interested with any news, updates, contact, support and my own plights in regards to you @MRCADE!!!

For me, I am both extremely saddened and empowered by your journey and most of all how you have navigated it with grace and honesty. Please know I and others will be steadfast in our support for you through this time and be ready for the greatest celebrations that will come after!!!

YOU’RE MY BOY BLUE!!!

PS…I was not joking about giving you a huge hug and slap when you get out!!!

13 Likes

Sorry for the length and I will try not to be so long winded in the future. Thank you all for those how have and maintain their support for my brother from another mother!!! I hope everyone, who I look forward to connecting with, had a great 4th. I look forward to building and maintaining a fellowship with. Keep fighting the good fight!

8 Likes

Welcome to this awesome community @JonnyAve! No need to apologize, your post wasn’t lengthy at all. We look forward to hearing more about you and updates about our dear friend.

2 Likes

You have touched so many lives. You will continue to do so and save someone. Prayers!

2 Likes

Thank you lisa. Cade has had nothing but amazing things to say about this community. I cant wait to get join in and get involved.

5 Likes

@MrCade, Cade, it been a pleasure to be continually in your wake sir.
May I always be two steps behind you, where we can give strength and support to each other.
Go well brother. Stay save!
:heart::facepunch:

2 Likes

Welcome JonnyAve!

2 Likes

@MrCade
U are making all efforts to improve yourself and atone openly and honestly. Best of luck.

3 Likes

Well damn… that was a bittersweet read. I feel the positive, the gratitude and the at ease-ness of it, will still be sad to see you go though.

Thanks for sharing, this is the type of story that i heard from old timers when I first got sober, those 20, 30, 40 and 50 year vets… the stories that actually gave me hope of someday I’d be able to be happy and live with myself.

Catch you on the flip side @MrCade.

4 Likes

What a beautiful and touching share . Your a inspiration to me and many others. Keep safe and keep the faith . God bless you x x x x x x

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to this beautiful ts family x

1 Like