Musicians Unite

Ha! Yeah I’ve been there. What mic did ya get?

Oh nothing special, I didn’t have anything better than a voice chat kinda deal, so when I had money I basically went for the cheapest condenser I could find locally that seemed like it would actually pick up a full frequency range. Yeti Blue maybe?

My plan is to get a “proper mic” of better quality only once my voice improves enough to warrant better quality recording, so I’m not just wasting money before I can benefit from the splurge. It’s the same logic I have behind playing a ratty second hand electric guitar with pieces missing and a $60 amp.

My first condenser was an MXL 990, great mic for $99 USD. I bought it over 10 years ago and still making music with it today. I recently got a Sterling ST170 ribbon mic, I LOVE it! Great for micing amps. Drums and vocals; has a smooth vintage sound. I use that one to record almost everything now.

That’s awesome, I’d love to learn more about recording. I know a bit because I used to do live sound work at my church way back, and at my second-last job I was the audio guy for getting all of our voiceovers done. You should have seen the recording booth. I couldn’t get any sway on the ridiculous budget, so the poor voice actor had to sit in a makeshift booth the size of a portapotty because our office was all concrete walls and glass windows. We all overlooked capping the booth vertically after it was too late (I couldn’t budge schedule either), so all the sound escaped to the ceiling, bounced around the room, and got picked up by the mic. Awful awful concrete room reverb, and of course you can’t really do much at all about that in post so we had to ship with that recording… Ugh

I wish I knew! I was looking online today for microphones and quickly said to myself I’ll get into that when I have hours to research it. Gets complicated! Lol

I have a SM58 and SM57 (wired). The 58 is decent for live applications. I think it would be worth getting the receiver if you have a need for it.

The answer is yes.

@teighacrain we have a thread for music if you can post any!

Cool! Can’t wait to check it out and it’ll give me reason to write.

I’m just learning guitar right now. I’m actually trying to learn latin fingerstyle so really it is just a lot of “exercises” right now (no songes). One day I’ll play like Charo!!

But my teacher is also teaching me some chords and songs. So far the only thing that sounds like anything is Horse With No Name and that is still really terrible (I get mixed up on the strumming).

ONE DAY I’ll post a video for you all.

1 Like

Spanish flamenco is a tough one to get down so good luck! Say goodbye to the sensation in your fingers!

1 Like

Calluses are good for guitars and sewing; they are like natures thimbles. :rofl:

1 Like

Oddly enough, my fingers arent so calloused anymore - my left middle is a bit from legato hammer-ons but other than that…not so much! The callous from where i hold my knife is far more irritating that any geet callouses ive had.

1 Like

I finally got some pretty healthy calluses built up, looks like ET’s fingers. :joy:

2 Likes

How long you been playing?

My finger tips are just numb…no calluses

1 Like

Started playing when I was 12. But really got serious about 4 years ago.

Nice. I think I was 6/7 when I started. Got serious at about 12. I cant inagine not playing everyday. I really cannot wait to see my bank balance build up. My 366 day goal is “Go guitar shopping!”

I love to sing! I’ve never recorded myself though. Maybe I’ll give that a try when I get home!

3 Likes

I havent sung properly for a few months now - good plan. But tomorrow - its nearly 3am lol

2 Likes