My 1st day

Hi All , just discovered this and hoping that today is the first day of a new me, without alcohol.

I tend to manage the odd “dry night” once in a blue moon, feel great the next day, but then by about 6pm my resolve has gone , and I rush out and by more booze to get me through the evening.

I know that if I string 2 days together that will be massive achievement for me, so I’m just trying to focus on your by hour in front of me. Really hoping once I’m over that hump I can make it 3 days then 4 and so on…

Just reading peoples comments on here is really helpful, and reminds me that I’m not alone , and it can be done…so wish me luck!

8 Likes

Good luck! Im on day 3 and, like you, managed the occasional dry night…one in a blue moon.

I have come to realise that I will always go back to alcohol in the same way, if I go back to alcohol. Thinking that Ive fixed my addiction if i manage to go a day without. This is not the case and ive now got rid of all denial and want to live the rest of my life alcohol free.

Even last year, I went sober for 30 days. Relapsed and started ruining my life all over again.

String two days together, then three… Then four and so on but dont look back!

If you can do 2 days. You can do 3 and remember those are the hardest days. My anxiety was through the roof. I was being sick. But get over that hump! In 2 hours i will have done 4 days and let me tell you, its so much easier today than it was yesterday. Therefore i have no doubt i will feel the same tomorrow.

The best of luck to you, you are not alone and it is hard! X

2 Likes

Thank you, means a lot x

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and good luck on you journey you got this, if you really want to change you got this , stay sober my friend.

Welcome, friend @Blueshortshorts , and our other new friend @kimcee. Your life can get better, your mind and your spirit can heal, each sober day a little more.

I’m one who could not stay sober on good intentions alone. I had to throw everything I had into getting and staying sober, including Antabuse, counseling, AA, and legal pressure with requirements to demonstrate sobriety every morning with a breath test. I found the right mix that worked for me, and I hope you can find that same fundamental willingness and a plan to go with it. There is a thread on here, Resources for our recovery that is chock full of great ideas to try.

Get through the first 3-5 days of physical withdrawal by treating your body as good as you can. After that, keep moving forward!

Blessings on your houses, as you begin your journey. :pray:

1 Like

Literally just take it one day at a time… Don’t worry about tomorrow it’s not here and yesterday is gone. Sometimes it breaks down to one hour at a time just to get through today. You got this!

1 Like

Great job @Blueshortshorts and @Kimcee for taking this step. It takes a great deal of willpower to take the first steps towards a sober life.

What has helped me is focusing on not drinking today. Dont worry about tomorrow or what number day is coming up. If you just dont drink today you can stay sober.

Keep checking in on here and good luck on each of your journeys!