My first 24 hours sober/clean

Today is my first sober/clean day. Almost at 24 hours. I hope posting will keep me accountable.

14 Likes

just hit 24 hours. wondering if anyone has some good advice for the night time as that’s when I find it hardest. good luck everyone.

5 Likes

thanks Stella! I am currently in addictions counselling and attend a weekly meeting in the morning, but maybe I should see if they have a later one. I’m in Eastern Standard time so it’s about 11 here. Find it hard to go to bed before midnight but you’re right that sleeping earlier will be safer. Thanks for the tips!

2 Likes

Congrats on 24 hours!

There’s The Parking Lot, an all night phone meeting that starts at 1am EST. I’ve called in on especially tough nights when I couldn’t sleep.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community,here you can feel safe share your struggles and joys of recovery, remember to log in daily keep up with threads that you enjoy ,for me and I’m not being a drama queen this app amongst working my ass off in my program of choice N.A has saved my life literally

4 Likes

Never heard of it but definitely will check it out. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Just made it to 48 hours. Definitely feeling cravings but coping okay. Getting to sleep was rough last night but really happy I didn’t give in. Staying grounded and in the moment has been hard but I know if I go into that dark space I’ll end up using again. I’m thinking of trying auricular (ear) acupuncture as they offer it at my addiction center and it is suppose to help with cravings and such. If anyone has tried it I’d love to hear what your thoughts were or any other weird things you’ve done to beat cravings. Hopefully you’re all doing well and sticking to your goals!

5 Likes

You’re doing so awesome!!! Keep it up! Valerian is a nice natural relaxer in the evenings…can either make your own tea from capsules found in the vitamin section of Walgreens, CVS, and retail pharmacy, or in a nighttime tea in the tea/coffee section of your local grocery store. I kept glasses of 100% juices everywhere…to supplement my non stop alcohol sipping habit…always had healthy juices to drink, fruits and veggies to snack on to keep my hand and mouth preoccupied as best I could. Try relaxing and listening tons good audiobook

1 Like

If you cant focus on reading just yet…Russel Brands Addiction Recovery was absolutely amazing for me! Try 5mg of Melatonin…only natural supplements though so you dont start trying to supplement one addictive drug for another. Get lots of rest…get to sleep as early as you can, sleep as much as you can to get past the first few days of withdrawal and recovery…lots of good healthy nutrition in you…I promise your body and mind will more than appreciate you for it when you’re central nervous system starts to do crazy flips on ya the first few days. I even read as much as I possibly could on what my body was physically going theoigheleach day of recovery until I finally past the threats of DTs…basically tried to scare the alcoholic out of me I guess, if that makes any sense.

You’re doing so great! Keep it up! Start new habits…get put of those old habits that kept you using. I know how hard it can be when every habit of yours all day long, every part of your routine, used to revolve around you giving into your addiction. But when theres a will to find another way, suddenly all these different ways will start to show up :slightly_smiling_face: Not all of us can drink. Some of just cant. I cant wait to hear about your progress and day 3 of sobriety! You’ll get thru it! Because you can…because you’re stronger than your addiction, deep.down, and deep down you know you are worth it, your body is worth it, your liver is worth it, your life and loved ones are worth it :hugs::yellow_heart::orange_heart::purple_heart::heart::blue_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely have to check out the audiobook and pick up some Valerian. You’re definitely right we are worth it! :slightly_smiling_face::heart:

1 Like

And dont forget it!!! Even in the next couple days when withdrawals seem to be unbearable, just remember they are tough, but certainly not unbearable, you will get through them, you are not alone, you are strong enough to make it past the withdrawals and the cravings, you are worth it! Yes! We are all worth your amazing and beautiful journey to recovery! Run scream, punch, pull your freaken hair out, take multiple bubble baths, cry, call a friend, whatever you need to do to make it past these first few difficult days and beyond! If you open yourself to it, you’ll notice something good every day that’s come from not using. What was it yesterday? What was it today? Did something taste better? Smell better? Feel better? Sound better? Did you have a little extra money to spend on something else? Think about it everyday. Reflect on it every night…the beauty of yourself and the world thru sober eyes

1 Like

Congratulations on your first 48 hours! I know it’s not easy but remember that it takes one day at a time and hell of alot of like minded folks to keep you going. Have you told your closest people about your journey yet? I like attending the late night AA meetings to help through tough nights. The first few days of my sobriety, I tried to memorize the Serenity prayer lol just so that I was prepared for my first AA meeting.

1 Like

Bed early is a weird one if you’re used to staying up late, it’s a compete change of your body clocks routine and add to that the natural sleep rather than artificially induced sleep, both at the same time are a bit tricky to get a grip on.
It does come easier but don’t expect it to be an immediate thing.
Something physically exhausting tends to help to make you tired.
I was in bed by 9:30 last night and awoke at 7am, I’d been busy all day so was glad for the rest.

1 Like

I feel I should clarify my problem isnt with alcohol but using cannabis and tabacco together, and sometimes drinking too. Just realized I hadn’t said that. Weirdly comforting to know that no matter the substance the pains of addiction are similar. So far day three is going well. Night time is still hard (I was up until 5am today trying to sleep!) but I didn’t break! I’ll post again tonight. Hope you are all doing well!

1 Like

right on! heres a good thread to check thats got a lot of helpful info :+1:

2 Likes

Just made it to 72 hours! Thanks for all the support it has made a huge difference. I have my weekly addiction support group in the morning and look forward to being there. Hope everyone is doing well!

2 Likes

96 hours done! today wasn’t too bad, spent most of it with friends which helps. A little worried as my friends go back to school next week and won’t have so many distractions. Boredom is usually a trigger for me. But I even managed to stay clean despite being with my friends who I usually smoke with and they were smoking. That’s a pretty big step for me. Night time is still hard, stayed up until 3am rather than 5am at least, but then I accidentally slept through my support group which was a drag. Luckily my anxiety is lessening so maybe sleep will be a bit easier. Hope everyone had a good day and if not, I hope tomorrow feels better!

2 Likes

120 hours/ 5 days done. I didn’t sleep at all last night and I’m started to feel pretty drained. I didn’t think alcohol was a problem for me as I only really drank when I didn’t have weed, but now I am started to crave a drink too. Luckily I’m allergic to alcohol/brewer’s yeast so that’s probably why it never became a huge problem to me. I’ve been watching lots of interviews of celebs who have become clean/sober and that has really motivated me to keep going. Sometimes I feel like a fraud; like I shouldn’t be struggling so much because it’s just weed and lots of people use weed healthily or even to help them from more serious addictions. guess my brain just has a lot of thinking to do. Has anyone else felt that way before? I hope everyone is doing well and staying on track!

6 days done. Feels good to be almost at week. The past few days have gone by both incredibly fast and painfully slow. Sleep is still being a problem, but one of the reasons I started smoking so much was because I had problems sleeping so that only makes sense. My friends go back to school tomorrow so I’m worried that will be triggering for me as well as the boredom. I guess all I can do is be ready for it. Really appreciate everyone on this site being so kind and caring. I wish the rest of the internet (or world, really) could be like this. Who knows how different life would be if we could all just choose kindness first. That’s been my thought of the day. Hope you’re all being kind to yourselves and having a good day!