My first day on my sobriety journey

Today is day 1 for me of my sobriety journey. I’ve been wanting to do this a long time. Any encouragement or success stories telling me this is possible would be greatly appreciated.

14 Likes

Welcome @EccentricHermit . There are lots of success stories around this community. With hard work and dedication sobriety IS possible.

Im 16+ months sober from weed and alcohol after 20 years of progressive problem drinking. Its been possible for me by utilizing and contributing to this community daily and Alcoholics Anonymous.

The first week is hard! Shit gets worse before it gets better.

6 Likes

4 and half year. It is worth it! I was addict for about 20 years alchol and drugs. Now i can tell I am free. Not always it is easy but it is worth trying. Try to find any help you can to keep up sober. If you have any questions shoot.

5 Likes

Glad you’re here!
Recommendations: Don’t listen to you anymore when it comes to thinking about drinking/using. There are lots of sober groups to feel comfortable with, even for us hermits.

Listening & applying the suggestions from other sober alcoholics and addicts who are living free of the mental obsession is what works.

Doing life differently requires work, but so does staying drunk/high. Sober living is a much softer, easier and healthier way to live.

5 Likes

Welcome to this community and a great welcome to day 1 of your sobriety journey.

We are unable to do this alone so whatever you can do to create a supportive environment for yourself will be useful. Going to meeting(s), getting a sponsor, staying connected on this site). I have found this community to be super supportive and helpful - take some time to read through the threads. Ask questions if needed and jump in when comfortable.

I also found that changing up my daily routines and finding ways to keep my mind / body busy and or distracted was key to controlling my urges.

Wishing you well on your journey - hope to see you around!

a few of my favorite threads:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #58
and
Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #5

4 Likes

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

5 years sober today! Just made a topic about it.
Sure you can do it!
Be determinated and open minded to try every tip and trick you read up here!
:facepunch:

6 Likes

Well today is the first day of my sobriety day it’s not going well I feel like crap I can’t wake up for nothing my balance is off ugh…

3 Likes

Welcome welcome. My tips are to read and listen, speak honestly, and accept that you need to WORK ON RECOVERY. So much here to take part in.

Good luck to you.

2 Likes

It is absolutely possible! I’m 41 and now 8.5 months sober after almost constant dependence on alcohol since 15. I managed to reach 6 months sober 10 years ago, then the most I ever managed since was maybe a month here and there. You just can’t give up on yourself. Remember that you deserve the chance at better in life and it really can be yours. I’m certain that you’ll find the support here that you need. I’m new to this myself, but people here seem so lovely and have so much experience. Wish you only the best!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum!! Glad to have u here. There are many success stories on here. Recovery is definitly possible. I was a chronic relapser for a long time and thru the help of this forum and other supports, i have been able to get 582 days clean and sober after struggling with addiction for 22 years. It does get easier :slight_smile: stay connected and if ur craving, come on here BEFORE u pick up so that we can help u thru it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe a meeting might help you ,helped me stay sober 37 years now so it does work if you want it wish you well

2 Likes

I feel you, it’s not been easy for me either…but in the end it will definitely be worth it. We got this !

1 Like

Reading this gives me hope. Thank you :heart:

2 Likes