My Higher Power... God 🌹

January 10, 2022
2 Corinthians 4:13-18
Trusting God with our questions
:purple_heart: Paul is the writer of today’s passage. He was a man who suffered multiple assaults, beatings, and imprisonment during his life. Instead of asking God ‘why’ these things have happened to him, he stayed close to God. Paul continuously “fixed his eyes on not what is seen, but what is unseen, for what is seen is temporary, and what is unseen is eternal”. Paul understood that God would somehow make his ‘Why’ moments into something powerful! Paul realized that without his tribulations, he could have never spread the gospel throughout the new world. And God wants us to do the same thing with our ‘Why’ questions. When we walk with hope knowing that God is doing something powerful with our tribulations, our ‘Why’ moments no longer keep us stuck and diminish our joy. In faith, we can place all of our problems in God’s hands, and he will turn those painful moments into a masterpiece.
:green_heart: I can relate to Paul’s story. There were many times in my life where I asked ‘Why’? Why is this happening to me? Why am I constantly struggling with things? Why can I just live a normal life? I was stuck. I was miserable. Completely focused on the negative aspects of my life. I realized I was living in fear. Eventually I got tired of being miserable. Instead of asking ‘Why’, I began having faith that everything will turn out exactly as it should. God has a plan for me (as he does all of us). Even tho He didn’t create these tribulations and obstacles in life (which were often caused by me running on self will), God does however take these tribulations and turns them into something powerful. My tribulations of my past have now been used to help others who are struggling with similar issues. I can be of service and share my experience, strength, and hope. Even today, with my current struggles… I do not let them remove my joy each day or diminish my faith. My faith is actually stronger because of my struggles. I see how God is working in my life during these times.

4 Likes

January 11, 2022
Mark 10: 17-27
All things are possible
:orange_heart: In this passage, it speaks about how we as human beings, generally like to live our lives in a predictable way. In a way where we feel like we have control. When something happens in our lives that turns our world upside down, we then start to not be able to recognize our lives at all. Sometimes our minds are “fixed”… we see the reality of the world and cannot see how incredible things are even possible. What keeps you from believing impossibly things?? Jesus said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God”. When things get tough in life, when our worlds are turned upside down… look up and reach out to God, the One who makes ALL things possible.
:yellow_heart: There are 2 things in my life (that I can think of) where my world had literally been turned upside down and I really struggled with even the slightest possibility that it could be repaired or fixed. A huge one was my addiction. I had struggled for many many years with addiction. I had literally tried everything “worldly” (psychiatrists, medication, 1 on 1 and group therapy, 12 step meetings, treatment centres, day programs etc). These supports helped me to gain recovery (I feel like God put those people and programs in my path to help me), but it was only until I really involved God into my life, that I now have the recovery I do have. And not just recovery from drugs and alcohol, but a complete sense for inner peace. I used to feel completely hopeless and lived with so much fear in my life that I would never get clean. I was desperate and God took the opportunity to encourage me to reach our to Him. And now I have 2 weeks tonight being clean and sober. And I owe this to God, the people he puts in my path to help me, and to the strength he gives me to keep on this path of recovery.

6 Likes

January 12, 2022
Ephesians 6: 10-18
Living in faith when things seem impossible
:heart: Paul writes this passage to Ephesians. Paul talks about putting on the full armor of God to be able to take a stand against the devil schemes. Paul states that our struggle is not with flesh and blood but against the spiritual forces of evil.
:heartpulse: What Paul teaches in this passage is that people are not the real problem. The really problem is the devil. We may feel powerless when the devil tries to stir up problems in our lives, but by putting on the full of armor of God. It talks about being strong… made strong by the spirit of God. We don’t do it on our own strength. And there is freedom in that bcuz it means that God isn’t calling us to find a power within ourselves to overcome battles. God gives us that strength to overcome the impossible… the things that we can’t overcome on our own. For me this was obstacle was addiction. God has truly given me the strength to stay clean everyday!

3 Likes

Not much to add other than to agree with @ShesGotMoxie.

I also feel like a weird mishmash of beliefs. I enjoy hearing the positive growth others find in their beliefs, often discovering some truth of my own understanding in it.

As a friend once put it, “There’s only two things I need to understand about my HP to grow: 1. That there is one and 2. I’m not it!”

Whatever one’s power may be, whatever language it may be couched in, if it helps them grow I think it’s a thing of beauty.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

2 Likes

Love this sooo much!!!

3 Likes

January 14, 2022
Isaiah 26: 1-4
When Peace Feels Impossible
:orange_heart: Today’s passage was written by Isaiah and shows us the solid foundation we have when our strength is focused on God. When awful events happen in our lives, our feelings can sometimes get in the way. Anxiety, fear, depression, worry etc can take away any sense of peace in our lives. Isaiah tells us that we can experience and walk in strength and peace today. God can do this for those that’s minds are steady on God. It is an all encompassing peace and gives us the strength internally to be able to face whatever comes our way externally.
:heart: This has been huge for me. There has been many things that have happened in life where my peace was literally ripped away either due to the situation at hand or due to the emotions I felt. For me fear and anxiety have run a lot of my life. It was only until I began to realize that I have a choice. Fear and Faith are like a 2 sided coin… I can never have both. This means I can either live in fear or I can live in faith. I can never live in both. When I live in fear, I am not putting my trust in God. I am not trusting in God’s plan and that everything will work as it should according to His plan. However, by living in faith, I am wholeheartedly trusting in His plan and by trusting and having faith in God, I automatically have full peace. My anxiety and fear go away! Also though, “faith without works is dead”. And for me that means that yes we need to have that full faith in God, but we also must do our part. We can not expect God to “magically” take care of everything on His own. I need to therefore take the next right action and follow along with God’s plan! I have experienced HUGE relief in some of the most stressful situations in my life by having faith in God. And for that I am truly thankful :pray:

3 Likes

January 15, 2022
Psalms 27: 1-14
The Work You Do As You Wait
:green_heart: Waiting is one of God’s favorite tools to get our attention. Our life of faith could really be called the Great Wait. Today’s passage talks about waiting for God and while doing so having faith. In the Bible, so many individuals were required to wait. Noah waited for the rain. David waited in the cave. Daniel waited overnight in a den full of lions. Joseph waited 13 years in prison. Even Jesus waited 30 years to begin his ministry. If God even asked Jesus to wait, what makes us think that we can skip the waiting process? There is no shortcut to how we experience the incredible moments in our lives. In fact, the process of faith seems to come in steps. The trouble is… waiting is one of our greatest weaknesses. But this passage also shows us HOW we can wait. Whether we wait by being hands on and completing tasks or we wait while staying in complete faith, when we choose to surrender to God’s plan, the wait is never wasted. The Lord enters the journey of those who wait.
:orange_heart: Initially this passage confused me. But as I read, I began to realize how important it has been in my life. Waiting at times has been difficult for me. Wanting to know the outcome right away of something that causes me great distress, is in reality me trying to take control bcuz I am living in fear. I absolutely have no control of any outcome. I can only do what I can in the meantime by literally taking the next right action (being hands on). I can also live in faith each day by keeping God in the foremost of my thoughts asking for the inner strength to help me manage all the external problems that are causing me stress. For me this comes down to Fear or Faith. Having faith every day that God is with me and that God knows the plan for me and that God can help me with ANY situation. Yes, often times I do wait. And my initial reaction is to want to intervene and take control and do my will so that I get an answer much faster. But I know that waiting happens for a reason. And honestly it is because of that waiting, that I have the connection to God that I have today. Waiting has sort of encouraged my faith to be strong. Bcuz when I get in the way, nothing often works out. God can make anything happen :pray:

2 Likes

January 16, 2022
Ephesians 3: 14-19
Praying Even When We Struggle
:purple_heart: Today’s passage specifically talks about prayer and how it can sometimes be a struggle to pray. We often either struggle with concentration during prayer (thinking about problems and our to do lists etc), or we struggle with consistency of prayer, finding time bcuz of our busy lives. Paul (who wrote this passage) tells us that our solution to this is structure: Worship, Confession, Gratitude, and Intercession (praying on behalf of oneself or others). The purpose of prayer is not to just get answers, it is also to develop an intimate, personal relationship with God.
:heartpulse: This passage I find a bit difficult to understand. I do not struggle with consistency but I do struggle with concentration during prayer. My practice in meditation has actually helped in this area but I still find my thoughts drift onto my problems or the things I need to do. Sometimes I even find myself having to consciously slow down my prayer and take my time for God bcuz I will notice I’m rushing thru it. God comes 1st everyday. I literally do not do anything until I pray and until I read a passage from my Glorify app (well I do grab coffee 1st lol). But I won’t do anything else. God deserves that time first thing in the morning bcuz I absolutely need to have God in the foremost of my thoughts. Normally prayer for me consists of thanking God for all he has done, I pray for others (family, friends, and anyone who is suffering), and then I pray for myself (asking for inner strength and asking for guidance in doing the next right thing). The part of this passage that confuses me is how Paul talks about the structure of prayer. I don’t understand why prayer needs to be done this way. Maybe someone can shed some light on this? Either way, I am currently striving for a better connection with God. God continues to surprise me everyday with all the things he can do for me that I can not do for myself.

1 Like

When I read that passage in Ephesians, I don’t find any message of Paul teaching a structure of prayer to the readers of his letter. I simply read him praying a spiritual blessing for the Ephesians. I think maybe the Glorify App could be reading into this prayer a bit much.

My prayer and devotional life with God has been inconsistent for a long time. But you, I see, are making some serious efforts to put God first each day. I think that’s impressive.

2 Likes

Thank u for explaining this!!! I was super confused reading my app bcuz I was wondering why exactly does there need to be structure. Interesting… I bet they put their own twist on things :thinking: I pray and I feel like that God just wants us to connect in whatever way we feel is right. The fact that we are making that attempt to connect with God is all he wants I feel. There’s is no right or wrong. Thanks Kevin!!! I feel better now about how I pray :pray:

2 Likes

January 17, 2022
Ephesians 1: 18-23
God’s Power In Us
:blue_heart: God provides the power we lack to make changes in our lives. Often times we hear of God working miracles in people’s lives when it comes to sorrow, relationships, financial stuff, pain, health issues etc. But God can also make changes in our everyday lives. Jesus lives within us. That means we have endless opportunities available to us, endless solutions to obstacles, endless possibilities to our problems. Those who believe in Him can experience his power. No matter what the situation, rest assured that Christ will equip you for ur situation AND be able to do much more than we ask or even imagine! Instead of doubting what we believe God won’t or can’t do, let’s challenge ourselves out to believe what He can do!
:green_heart: I used to only pray to God when I was in dire need of help. When I literally had exhausted my own efforts to control the situation, which had completely failed. Then and only then would I turn to God. This has changed in my life dramatically. When I look back to issues in my past, Gpd definitely did come thru for me and provide what I needed. However today I look at things differently. I have faith that God can and will guide me in my everyday living. I don’t only pray when I need help anymore. I pray to give thanks, I pray for guidance in just everyday activities, and then I pray when I do need help. I do my very best to not live in fear, running on my own self will. Thy will not mine be done :pray:

6 Likes

4 Likes

January 18, 2022
John 9: 1-7
Displaying God’s Power
:yellow_heart: Today’s passage was written by John who was an apostle of Jesus. Jesus and his disciples stopped when they saw a blind man in the city. The disciples asked Jesus who sinned? The man or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus said neither and said that this happened so that the works of God could be displayed in him. Jesus spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and then placed this on the blind man’s eyes. Jesus then said, “Go! Wash in the pool of Siloam”. The man did just this and he came home being able to see.
:purple_heart: This passage hits me hard honestly. I used to often wonder “Why?”. Why did I go thru what I did? Why am an I addict? What did trauma happen? Why did those close to me get so sick with cancer? Why? I did blame myself for ALOT of happened? Was it bad karma? Was I being punished for things I had done? God doesn’t create pain and suffering in this world. The evil in this world creates sickness, pain, suffering. God is there however to give us inner strength so that we can get thru our struggles, and to show us those miracles. I am a miracle of God. Hands down I believe that 100%. And maybe the purpose of my struggles was for me to be another one of those addicts in despair that found recovery to show how God works. To be able to know help others who are struggling. Maybe that’s my purpose… idk. Always grateful to be clean!

4 Likes

I’ve been learning that God’s timing is different than my own. I’ve often wondered why my journey has taken so long. Looking back, I can’t see how things could have been different. God knows I was trying!

But it took His intervention to get me where I am today. And God taught me many lessons along the way. And for that, I’m very grateful.

3 Likes

Omg Kevin!!! Absolutely :100: God’s timing is so different from my own. Like when i look back say to my abusive relationship… there were many times that God intervened (when we broke up or he went to jail for whatever reason etc)… these were all opportunities that God placed in my life for me to change my ways. The issue was my will. And me trying to control and me trying to take the lead on my life (which kept me back in bad situations). God was trying to show me a way out but I wasn’t listening. And we learn from things and I think eventually it just clicks. So grateful for you kevin!! I really am. Ur such an amazing person and I always love ur insight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

January 20, 2022
Phillipians 4: 4-7
The Power Of A Single Prayer
:green_heart: This passage was written by an apostle name Paul who wrote this while he was in a Roman prison. It basically talks about how when we are anxious when need to pray in every situation and bring our requests to God. Almost everyday there are situations that come up in our lives that cause us to feel anxious or depressed, or situations that could potentially cause doubt or create a lack of faith in our lives. These feelings can distract us from focusing on what we really need to be focusing on. Paul tells us not to be anxious for anything. Anxiety magnifies our problems and minimizes our focus on God. Paul tells us that the way to combat anxiety is to say a simple prayer 1st, then make a conscious choice not to be anxious. God HAS the power to change things… we need to be anchored in this truth! Focus and depend on God rather than worry about an unknown future.
:purple_heart: This right here has been my week. There has been such incredible stress and anxiety in my life this week! I have had to turn over my will and my life to God everyday (even multiple times a day). I focus on God 1st thing in the morning with prayer and a passage. I bring my anxiety and my fear to God, asking for inner peace and for increased faith… knowing that God can get me through ANY outcome in life. Then I consciously work on getting rid of that anxiety with my “toolkit”… outside of prayer this would include distraction, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, talking it out etc. It helps! Honestly I feel instant relief when I pray. It’s incredible!! And then I am able to focus on the 24 hours ahead with God!

5 Likes

This rings true to me as well. I’ve been reflecting recently on my experience of duty. I’ve been feeling halfhearted over the last few months about my work - my professional work - and I’m conflicted about that.

Am I being slack / “lazy”? Does it mean I need to double my effort? Nose to the grindstone? Will this sense of passionlessness about my work fade away in time?

Or does it mean I need to reflect on what my heart (soul) is suggesting, and explore new areas, new opportunities? And if I do that, am I betraying my duty?

I feel conflicted because I wonder whether God’s will is for me to remain, or for me to go.

But - at the same time I am thinking, maybe what I should do is take it one day at a time and follow the hints. For example, I have been having some very promising conversations with some contacts of mine, about new professional directions. Maybe I need to stop overthinking it and follow the trail?

It all comes down to what you said: “turn over my will and my life to God everyday”.

3 Likes

January 25, 2022
Hebrews 11: 1-3
Dealing With Doubt
:heartpulse: It is easy to fall into the trap of doubt with God. Often times it is so much easier to believe in what we can see with our own two eyes, than to believe in something that we can not physically see (God). The definition of faith is “firm belief in something of which there is no proof”. Faith requires that we believe, despite not having any visual evidence. We can see God, but with the eyes of faith, we can see His activity working in our lives! We see what we want to see! When we choose to believe, our vision starts to clear up. If you have ever been lured to doubt God’s presence and power, pray for God to remove those doubts. If you are doubting God’s existence, pray for God to open your eyes to divine intervention. Pray for Him to make His presence known to you, and just keep ur eyes open.
:green_heart: I can remember the time when I began to see God’s presence working in my life. For so many years before that (when things were very tough in my life), I was very closed off to seeing God’s presence in my life. I was very closed minded to many things. It was when I began my healing journey, that I was able to begin having an open mind and to realize the possibility of a Power greater than myself. When we flip a switch to turn on a light, it goes on! We don’t actually see it working, but we have faith that it will give us light. Same with God! When I began to reach out even a little bit to God (my Higher Power), God started showing me amazing things that were happening in my life. And when I looked back at my past and the things that had happened, I began to realize that God was there with me even back then, when I doubted faith! There were MANY things that should’ve happened to me, that didn’t. It wasn’t a coincidence thats for sure. The chances of me being okay in those situations, should have not been in my favor. And yet I came out of it (sometimes with slight scars), but I was alive and well. So I absolutely can not deny in God’s divine intervention. That is my proof right there. I can not see God working (like I can’t see how the light switch works), but I can see God’s divine intervention (just like I can see the light come on).

3 Likes

January 26, 2022
Psalms 23: 1-6
Choosing Faith Over Fear
:yellow_heart: Today’s passage was written by King David during his time of difficulty. This has to be one of my favorite Passages so far
:latin_cross:
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters
3 He refreshes my soul, He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

6 Likes

Love Psalm 23 xox

2 Likes