My Issue with 12 step groups

never been the case, i’m always sober when i score

Your over thinkng it take what u need leave the rest, your powerless over meth. But totally understand if it’s not for you it’s not for you but my experience of 10 years In and out the rooms is that perception changes the more soberity we have, smart doesn’t do 12 step so may suit you more

I am actually abstinent from everything at the moment but that’s not the point really.

The other 11 steps are going to be difficult if you can’t do step 1. SMART is a program more attuned to what your goals seem to be.

3 Likes

I think you’re right. I do have a habit of overthinking things thank you.

‘take what you need and leave the rest’ - is what I should be doing I guess yes

2 Likes

Maybe you will find some other program of interest in this thread…lots of info…

2 Likes

I haven’t been using drugs to alter my emotional state for a long time (apart from the relapses on meth). I may want to alter my emotional state in the future but not for now (and definitely never again on meth).

I do however use some drugs as tools:

• Caffeine to energize to do creative work.
  • Several antihistamines or Xanax in small doses to help me sleep, I cycle between them and days off so tolerance isn’t a problem.
  • Alcohol in small amounts when performing in my other job to steady my hands from anxiety.

It’s not a lot I know - I am merely searching for a program like the 12 steps which won’t berate me for not admiting I am powerless over things other than meth.

thank you Sassy

1 Like

If I am not wrong powerlessness is related with acceptance. For example: To accept I have a problem and I can’t fix it with my own means, I need help

This is a fair response thank you for your honesty without judgement.

1 Like

We admitted we were powerless over ________.

For you, you can use meth. Do you admit you are powerless over meth. Are you capable of stopping once you have one hit, or are you powerless in that scenario?

Agreed, I need help with Meth. I accept I cannot fix this problem by myself.

I am quite keen on the spiritual enlightenment promised by the 12 steps, but don’t like being told I cannot drink in moderation.

…Probably this viewpoint is contradictary to getting the spiritual enlightenment through the 12 steps… this is kind of what I am trying to ascertain.

1 Like

powerless yes!

1 Like

Seems like you got some great advice here already. If you like the people in your group I would recommend staying and substitute your doc everywhere the word alcohol comes up.

If you aren’t satisfied with the people in your group, I would try another location, an NA meeting (substituting in your doc), or I suppose a SMART meeting is better than nothing.

As an alcoholic, I’m a little weary to recommend SMART as it is a program that tries to reintroduce alcohol to alcoholics. But I also acknowledge that everyone is different and SMART meetings may very well be a valid solution for some people.

1 Like

do they (SMART) do the 12 steps? I want that enlightenment they promise in the 12 steps

SMART meetings are an alternative to the 12 step.

1 Like

Check out refuge recovery. Buddhist approach to the 12 steps. Since your so concerned about enlightenment. They have a podcast with guided meditations too.

4 Likes

looks good thanks

Wish I could be like that. 2 or 3 beers and I’m chasing meth or coke too. Could be a dangerous thing to play with in my honest opinion. Alcohol takes away your inhibitors and tends to make you wanna keep feeling better.

1 Like

tbh 2 or 3 beers and i wanna go to sleep mate these days. Has lost it’s appeal getting drunk, and I wasn’t trying to give booze up. But yeah I get that is a problem for a lot of people. For me if I have meth I will end up drinking and taking benzos to take the edge off, but apparently not the other way around.