My last attempt to stay sober

Hi, welcome! This place is an amazing place with people who understand how you feel. Look forward to seeing you around :pray:t2::two_hearts:

3 Likes

Thankyou. I honestly didnā€™t thi k my post would be noticed, but it has, im grateful for the kind words and support. Never had it before, makes me hopeful.

5 Likes

This community has been helping me through my feelings of isolation. I hope it can help you too!
You can do this

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :sunflower:
Alcohol is often misused as social lubricant, sounds like you also used it to help socializing. You are not alone and you are ok as you are. Sober you will learn to be around people, be kind to yourself and give yourself time.
Have a good read around and stuff your sober toolbox with all the different tools you find to help you cope with life. You can use the searchbar for keywords like meditation, hobby, sport, tools for recovery etc.
Again a warm welcome :four_leaf_clover:

Oh, if you want, check out the daily check in thread and the gratitude thread.

4 Likes

Thankyou so much. Seriously, thankyou. 3 people have supported me within 10 minutes, more support than ive had before.

5 Likes

Im having difficulty navigating properly, but ill get it eventually. Thankyou so much.

3 Likes

click your way through the forum categories and threads, use the searchbar, contribute to existing threads, keep us posted here on your thread. you will find out how to navigate quickly :blush:
hereā€™s the link to a list of resoueces for recovery

3 Likes

Welcome :hugs: believe in yourself

2 Likes

I will do. Thanks so much. Im not too good at tech, its pretty much youtube, spotify and twitter, or ā€˜Xā€™ now i guess, anything beyond that is new to me. Ill work it out tho, the goal is too important to me not to try and suss it out, thanks again

4 Likes

Hi and welcome you will find all the advice from the kind people on this forum and the great thing is its worldwide so any time of day if your struggling jump on and get support your never truly alone with this community good luck you got this ADAAT :+1:

4 Likes

Wow. I didnt expect so much support so quickly. Genuinely suprised, and feeling a little more hopeful i can get this demon off my back once and for all. Thankyou. :pray:

9 Likes

Now you know the support is out there the ball is in your court. Next time you want to pick up a drink pick up your phone instead. Sobriety isnā€™t easy but it is simple - Donā€™t pick up a drink do ask for help.

6 Likes

Welcome. I was where you are a month ago. Tried and failed, this is my first time trying and using this community and its going better than ever before.
To begin with I had to miss a couple end of year/xmas parties as i knew the drinking would be too much, and Iā€™ve had to jump on here to read a bunch when I had bad cravings. For the most part the last couple weeks have been a lot easier than the first couple.
Hang in there, donā€™t give in and have that first drink. Check in. Slowly as the fog clears your frame of mind will improve

5 Likes

then you use 2 more than I :blush: Never used spotify or twitter, youtube only for funny cat videos and hours of seasound on an empty beach every now and then :wink:

1 Like

Hang in there! You are absolutely not alone!
Re: im just scared to be around people sober - I felt the same way, as probably many/most of us did or still do (if not sober yet)ā€¦that was one of my fears of getting sober to be honest - ā€˜what will it be like when Iā€™m around other peopleā€™? I would travel a lot for work and kept thinking ā€˜how can I meet strangers in work meetings sober, how can I fly sober, etc. etc.ā€™.
Iā€™m now 1yr 4mos sober - and it has dramatically changed me life - I really canā€™t put it into words but I will tell you this - clarity. The most amazing thing for me was when the fog lifted and I actually had true clarity. It started to happen after day 5 or 6 but didnā€™t really happen until after day 30. True clarity of mind and soul - you can face anything after that, and it just gets better. Try not to ā€˜what ifā€™ things about being sober - like I did, and you might be doing now (i.e. being around people sober); I even thought ā€œhow would fishing be fun if I wasnā€™t drinking/drunk?ā€ā€¦Iā€™ve done all of those things and many many more sober and it is SO much better, and bonus, you remember it all afterwards.
Donā€™t give up - stay on things like this forum to vent, ask advice, share good news etc. - each day is better than the previous.

2 Likes

I can hear a lot of ambiguities in your post. I feel you are holding on to more hope than you may realize. You arenā€™t alone. We are here and i am certain that there are agencies or organizations in your community that could provide you with a (in person) support system. This can be the last time you quit if you battle like a warrior. I believe in you and i am positive i am not alone in thatā€¦keep your head up and remember. The fight can be broken down to minutes if days feel too big. Please, continue to reach out. Keep talking we will keep listening :100::heart:

6 Likes

I wonder why you are lonely. Do you feel ashamed of having drank too much? Is there a fear of rejection in general? Have you been away so long that you fear coming off as odd?

Social anxiety is really normal. From an evolutionary standpoint, we are tribal animals, and rejection can mean death. Itā€™s well known that severely isolated people start to go mad and decompensate quickly. The pressure on wanting to make good social impressions is understandable.

Sometimes our DNA hasnā€™t quite caught up with the timesā€¦ You can be alone and perfectly fine, in practical terms. In other words, our emotions are helpful but can exaggerate things.

Iā€™m haunted by anxietyā€¦ Any stray word from my boss gets repeated over and over in my head. I imagine the consequences. I imagine how Iā€™ll handle being reprimanded, what Iā€™ll say. Spoiler: it never is as bad as it seems. But my brain thinks of my job as life or death survival.

2 Likes

Really glad youā€™re here and youā€™re safeā€¦ Iā€™m new to the forum too, only a few days in and already Iā€™ve noticed the strong support network hereā€¦ Thereā€™s a wealth of experience too, and when I say that, Iā€™m talking about everyone on here, whether people are in their first couple of hours or theyā€™ve been sober for years, we can identify with different people and ultimately support each otherā€¦ Weā€™re definitely stronger togetherā€¦ Take care
Peace, love and positive vibes always :raised_hands::sparkles::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

@DJUK how are you today? I just wanted to check in with you! Sending you healing vibes.

2 Likes

I hear you. I can relate. You can do this! Please check-in here for support. There were days when I literally had to go by the minutes to make it through. I believe in you, you are not alone. Thereā€™s hope and inspiration here. This community has given that back to me. Itā€™s for you also. Stay strongā€¦weā€™re here for you!

2 Likes