My new journey in Recovery Dharma

I haven’t been practising meditation at all for a while. No yoga, which isn’t Buddhist but there are some similarities in the philosophy. And not been able to do much walking which was a big opportunity for mindful thinking. Have trying to apply principles of mindfulness to my little walks. There’s something about spring and all the birds singing that makes me want to connect in to it all more. And some of the principles have definitely stayed with me even without a regular practice.

I have gone backwards and forwards many times on whether or not to follow the path more fully, whether or not it is or should be an all or nothing thing. Anyway, I am where I am with it. Trying to let go of the need for perfection, to be OK with how things are and trust that things will work out however they are meant to.

2 Likes

Recovery Dharma has a YouTube channel with a number of meditations. The four foundations of mindfulness ones are good to start with :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Its starts with meditation for me. Being mindful of what has happened, my part of what had happened, and what I can learn from all that, then moving on.

2 Likes

How do you interact with the thoughts that come from what you moved on from?- like-the ones that are…I guess triggering in nature not useful have already been worked with to see my part, change direction with, grow from etc. Do you still experience those that are like good for “mind like sky application" but then the days seems really full of clouds to watch pass all of the sudden? I say all that due to a near distant experience wherein I was just fully overwhelmed and I was flooded into a mood shift that was really debilitating. Just for preventive resources is why I ask. I no longer experience depression and anxiety like that as I’m slowly moving past it but wanted to reach out and store as much solution to apply as possible. Thank you for your time.

2 Likes

Its been a long time since the past has haunted me, if that is what you are asking. A lot of it came from working the steps in AA. Now, basically I know I am a better person sober, and I just keep trying to do the right thing.

1 Like

Practice practice practice! It doesn’t stop the bad days but it makes them easier.

Regular meditation is a way of training the mind. Helps us to identify thoughts, notice them and take a pause before acting, or not acting as the case may be. A couple of links for ya… On the forum:

and

Tara Brach is wonderful if you haven’t come across her already, I particularly like her RAIN stuff and she has a good podcast

I also like Plum Village, they have an app as well as a YouTube channel

4 Likes

Thank you. I am beginning all this, and I appreciate your wisdom.

1 Like

From Recovery Dharma

“Despite the trauma, addiction, fear, and shame, there is a still and centered part of us that remains whole. There is a part of us that’s not traumatized, that’s not addicted, that’s not ruled by fear or shame. This is where wisdom comes from, and it’s the foundation of our recovery.”

I wish I would have heard this at the beginning of my journey.

11 Likes

From Recovery Dharma

“There’s suffering any time we want things to be different than they are.”

Biggest excuse used for me to drink. Looking back, when I couldnt control something…or it’s outcome…I drank, and drank hard

However, it goes beyond that…

When my mood heads south…this is a root cause.

6 Likes

“This is a program of empowerment. It’s a path of letting go of behavior that no longer serves us and cultivating that which does.”

Fill your life with sober things. Things being far more than the “chores dont get you sober mantra”. Things being behaviors that leads us away from addiction.

For me it was meetings, but what about when I wasnt in a meeting. It was learning behaviors…filling time with soberness.

4 Likes

Just as I was saying about not practicing at the moment I found this. It is reassuring to know that all this stuff is there for us whenever we’re ready :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Meditation is something I have struggled with. I appreciate what you have added.

2 Likes

It can be difficult. If you still do it anyway then that is where you get the real benefit I reckon. Being OK with it being difficult. Not having to achieve anything. Just sit!

Saying this is easier than doing it of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That in itself is difficult!

2 Likes

“Trauma and attachment injury may require different ways of feeling safe and supported. You should always do whatever is most compassionate for yourself in the moment, and seek outside help when you need it.”

One size does not fit all. However, you have the responsibility to find what does fit.

3 Likes

Been a few days. Picked up the book and read. Been crazy with work and at home projects

“No matter how skillfully we act, the external world—people, places, and things—might not give us what we want. This does not mean we have “bad karma,” or that we’ve failed. It just means that we’re not in control of everything and everyone. The point is that, regardless of what the outside world throws at us, we’re responsible for how we respond to it and how we tend to our internal world. At the end of the day, we have the choice whether we go to bed as somebody who acted wisely and compassionately, or as somebody who didn’t.”

6 Likes

I first read this parable in Zen Shorts by Jon Muth and this is my favorite way to remind myself just to put something down:

5 Likes

In Zen Shorts the story was that the woman being carried was ungrateful not that they were forbidden from touching women and that version resonated with me more. If you have kids who like picture books (or are an adult kid who likes picture books) it is a good purchase.

3 Likes

I will take a look at it. I am slowly getting back into reading. When I got sober I read anything I got my hands on. As time went on, I filled my life with so many things…books took a back seek

2 Likes

So far my journey has been wonderful, and I am truly blessed that I have changed paths in sobriety. Seems like whether its reading or meetings or feeble attempts at meditation…I gain insight into myself at a level I haven’t had before.

This tidbit has resonated with me tonigh

From Recovery Dharma

“Compassion rests on the renunciation of harming living beings and is not only the wish, but also the intention to put an end to their suffering. We need to open our hearts—not just our minds—to all the suffering that is here, that is experienced in the world. Compassion is not only a feeling: it is an action.”

Action sticks out…ensuring our actions dont hurt others is compassion.

4 Likes