My new journey in Recovery Dharma

It is meant in no way as an offence. It is talking about some inner issues I felt and still feel in my road of recovery.

None taken.

1 Like

From a wise friend:

“World peace starts in us, at our level”

2 Likes

So, recently I was told to relax. That i had a"clinical" approach, like I was writing a research paper. While, I could see the point, and for the most part could agree with it
i couldnt see how ir was bad
so
i slowed down a bit and tried to “enjoy the ride”
read this today

from “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” by Chögyam Trungpa, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche -

“The lord of speech is involved in spiritual practice as well. In following a spiritual path we may substitute a new religious ideology for our former beliefs, but continue to use it in the old neurotic way. Regardless of how sublime our ideas may be, if we take them too seriously and use them to maintain our ego, we are still being ruled by the lord of speech.”

“But contine to use it in the same old neurotic way”

Well sone of a b

That is me
That is what i did in my last recovery program
That is what I do with everything.

Kinda glad i read this

Dont know where to go with it now! And i am resisting the urge to start pawing through books.

3 Likes

Certainly my go to for ‘figuring shit out’.

You got some good stuff there to sit with.

1 Like

The method that the Buddha discovered is meditation. He discovered that struggling to find answers did not work. It was only when there were gaps in his struggle that insights came to him. He began to realize that there was a sane, awake quality within him which manifested itself only in the absence of struggle. So the practice of meditation involves “letting be.”

I have so much trouble with meditation. I feel like, and this is probably far from true, that I have tried everything.

I just cant shut off my analytical mind

3 Likes

There is no need to shut it off (spoiler
we cannot). Just observe it chattering away. “Ah, there is my mind chattering, I will return to my breath.”

For myself, I found the thought process linked to my breathe assisted. I think as I breathe in

Breathing in

I think as I breathe out

Breathing out

Repeat.

Our mind will go back to chattering, it is what minds do. We bring our selves back to our breath.

Breathing in

Breathing out

:heart:

4 Likes

I’ve just started reading a book about Vipassana developed my Goenka. One of my friends went on a ten day retreat in India. Sounds pretty awesome. I’m hoping to hit one up in the UK next summer.

As per @SassyRocks my understanding of meditation is that it isn’t about shutting anything off. Just awareness. Over time though, as we learn to recognise the chatter, I think it can start to quiet a bit. Or maybe we are just more aware of the times when the chatter is less.

Compassion for the chattering mind is important!

Says me who still hasn’t started meditating again :rofl:

2 Likes

There is a good Thich Nhat Hang/ plum village guided meditation like this. The bit I always remember, from the beginning, is

Breathing in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.

Have probably posted on the forum somewhere before.

And the ‘Plum Village App’ channel on YouTube (or the actual app) is a wonderful resource in general.

4 Likes

This cracked me up!!

My daughter has been very into Vipassana over the years. A strong road to turn down!! India would be a dream, tho also a very strong reality.

1 Like

Started a new read and thought I’d share this lil pic of a section :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Thank you @les. This was my morning reading and wanted to share 

6 Likes

:metal: right on. I was talking about that pocketbook w a dude and we are now starting a little book club and first read is Pema c - wisdom of no escape which is where that little section came from :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

from “Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism” by Chögyam Trungpa, Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche -

“WE HAVE COME here to learn about spirituality. I trust the genuine quality of this search but we must question its nature. The problem is that ego can convert anything to its own use, even spirituality. Ego is constantly attempting to acquire and apply the teachings of spirituality for its own benefit. The teachings are treated as an external thing, external to “me,” a philosophy which we try to imitate. We do not actually want to identify with or become the teachings. So if our teacher speaks of renunciation of ego, we attempt to mimic renunciation of ego. We go through the motions, make the appropriate gestures, but we really do not want to sacrifice any part of our way of life. We become skillful actors, and while playing deaf and dumb to the real meaning of the teachings, we find some comfort in pretending to follow the path.”

This is me. Maybe not al the time. However, I thinl currently this is where I am at. Life is so busy right now, I find myself going through the motions, going to my meeting, reading

Am I really THAT busy, or is it just Ego taking what I have learned and imitating it. Easier right now to imitate.

Setting in this.

On another note. I have found meditating (does this count) while on an exercise bike is easier to focus and listen, and observe and take away from meditation.

Then again, is that just Ego?

2 Likes

I just attended my first Recovery Dharma meeting online. I didn’t share and stood silent. It was very different to what I know of AA meetings. I liked the atmosphere. I have reservations to share in a language that is not my mother tongue.

4 Likes

I can imagine language would be a tough barrier. However, you might be surprised on how accepting people are.

2 Likes

“Whenever we begin to feel any discrepancy or conflict between our actions and the teachings, we immediately interpret the situation in such a way that the conflict is smoothed over. The interpreter is ego in the role of spiritual adviser.”

Self juatification, self righteousness

3 Likes

What book is this?

“If we ask ourselves, “What is wrong with evaluating, with taking sides?” the answer is that, when we formulate a secondary judgment, “I should be doing this and should avoid doing that,” then we have achieved a level of complication which takes us a long way from the basic simplicity of what we are. The simplicity of meditation means just experiencing the ape instinct of ego. If anything more than this is laid onto our psychology, then it becomes a very heavy, thick mask, a suit of armor.”

I find myself wanting to race through this book. A wise friend is having me try something new with my reading. Reading a little and setting with it.

My first thought when i read this, “OMFG this is me
I am broken” Then I realized
if its was jist me, this book wouldnt have been written

Becauae I never met the author
I am a normal human being!

Thats what I got so far

4 Likes